Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Battery

Truckman

Reaction score
Thinking when the time comes maybe I want to upgrade the battery to something larger/more CCA's. Has anyone else done this and what size will fit in the stock battery location. I have already run mine down once listening to the radio while polishing/coating the truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thinking when the time comes maybe I want to upgrade the battery to something larger/more CCA's. Has anyone else done this and what size will fit in the stock battery location. I have already run mine down once listening to the radio while polishing/coating the truck.
What you want would be a deep cycle battery or gel for more reserve capacity.

You wont get much bigger battery to fit.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Has optima improved their quality?

20 years ago they were one of the best batteries you could buy, especially for the price, but that changed about 10 years ago and they weren’t doing very well. A few years back dad bought a pair of blue tops and they were worse than these OEM batteries we have now. Then again, 20 years ago OEM batteries were pretty good too.

Hopefully they have gone back to being what they were 20 years ago.

I bought a yellow top in ~2001, it was the display model and nearly dead but I needed a battery. 3 years later I left to work in Alaska and left my dome light on. The bulb got so hot it melted the lens. The battery was DEAD, less voltage than putting the voltmeter probes on my skin. It took 3 or 4 battery chargers to even recognize it as a battery and charge it. I sold that rig in 05 and kept the battery, which was in a rig I sold in 2007 and still worked great. That’s quality!

jetrinka

Reaction score
Has optima improved their quality?

20 years ago they were one of the best batteries you could buy, especially for the price, but that changed about 10 years ago and they weren’t doing very well. A few years back dad bought a pair of blue tops and they were worse than these OEM batteries we have now. Then again, 20 years ago OEM batteries were pretty good too.

Hopefully they have gone back to being what they were 20 years ago.

I bought a yellow top in ~2001, it was the display model and nearly dead but I needed a battery. 3 years later I left to work in Alaska and left my dome light on. The bulb got so hot it melted the lens. The battery was DEAD, less voltage than putting the voltmeter probes on my skin. It took 3 or 4 battery chargers to even recognize it as a battery and charge it. I sold that rig in 05 and kept the battery, which was in a rig I sold in 2007 and still worked great. That’s quality!
Honestly I have no idea. I didn’t really do any research prior to buying it - just based the decision off a reputation I thought was stellar.

The OEM battery was still fine but after reading about fresh ones failing I decided I just wanted something different. And the PW winch likes something that can deep cycle

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have been buying them for years and even 5 years ago i put a set of red tops in my 01 and they still work great and have no issues and before i put my plow on the 19 i still ran the plow on the 01 for 2 years on the red tops no issues

Truckman

Reaction score
Hadn't even thought about the gel batteries. I will look into them.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Check out DEKA Batteries. Made in USA. Great Rep and widely available.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Hadn't even thought about the gel batteries. I will look into them.
I doubt if the charging profile is safe for gel batteries. AGM has a profile close to flooded. Gel cells are a different animal.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
6.4…anything in particular when changing the battery that I might not know about?
Doubting that just swapping a battery is standard procedure with this thing, I’d be surprised.

flan

Reaction score
On the diesels the trays will fill with water and make the tray look like a swamp. Some people drilled holes in them to let it drain.

Alligator John

Reaction score
If your in a gasser with a single battery, you could also consider adding a 2nd battery with a NH Overland or Off Grid Products battery tray.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
Im not aware of anyone that makes a gel battery in automotive spec. As has been mentioned, Optima used to be great, but they moved production to Mexico (I believe after being sold) and quality suffered. I have not heard either way on them in the past few years.

Odyssey, or Northstar is the best as far as 12V batteries. Northstar was purchased by Enersys, the parent company of Odyssey about 4 years ago. Odyssey was created to be used in tanks in the 1970's so they can stand up to some serious abuse. They are the battery you will find in all military vehicles, and many ambulances.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Im not aware of anyone that makes a gel battery in automotive spec. As has been mentioned, Optima used to be great, but they moved production to Mexico (I believe after being sold) and quality suffered. I have not heard either way on them in the past few years.

Odyssey, or Northstar is the best as far as 12V batteries. Northstar was purchased by Enersys, the parent company of Odyssey about 4 years ago. Odyssey was created to be used in tanks in the 1970's so they can stand up to some serious abuse. They are the battery you will find in all military vehicles, and many ambulances.
The charging profile for gell batteries would not be compatible with most automotive charging systems. AGMs are close and will work.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
The charging profile for gell batteries would not be compatible with most automotive charging systems. AGMs are close and will work.
Exactly. Without a VRLA profile it would dry out pretty quick. Gel batteries suck for just about every situation.

Users who are viewing this thread