Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 5500 owner, TPMS advise

gprguy

Reaction score
FWIW, I don't have my truck yet (2023 5500) but it is built and does not list the TPIS in the equipment listing like it does with a 3500. It does have trailer TPMS.. Which just seems inconsistent.

I had expected the truck to come with TPIS also, I don't know if there's any information in adding it after the fact since all of the 2500/3500's come with some form of it and all the information I've seen on the forum is just how to disable it or swap between TPMS/TPIS.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't have my truck yet (2023 5500) but it is built and does not list the TPIS in the equipment listing like it does with a 3500. It does have trailer TPMS.. Which just seems inconsistent.

I had expected the truck to come with TPIS also, I don't know if there's any information in adding it after the fact since all of the 2500/3500's come with some form of it and all the information I've seen on the forum is just how to disable it or swap between TPMS/TPIS.

Changing includes disabling it so there's multiple settings.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
you may or may not be surprised that the documentation really doesn't mean anything.

we had a 22 Tahoe and the coolant light came on @ 5k miles...i went to check the temperature and never found an actual gauge with a reading....just the sliding scale gauge.

owners manual said it should be there and even had it's own little section about it. talked to the dealership, i knew more about it than they did. they put me in touch with a regional rep...he knew a little more than the dealership but after finally getting him to understand what was missing on the cluster pages...not only did he not have an answer, I never rec'd one. Wasnt worth the effort to keep pushing it even after opening a case with GM and following up several times with them.

Dealership has to be on your side for them to fight for you
Thats completly different. If your sales info says it comes with it standard and it does not that is false advertising and is actully fraud

gprguy

Reaction score
Changing includes disabling it so there's multiple settings.
I scanned that thread, but I don't think it helps with the basic problem - I am presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the 5500's don't even have the hardware for TPIS. Receivers, valve stems, etc.

If it's all there and just needs enabling that would be fantastic, but that feels like a long shot.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I scanned that thread, but I don't think it helps with the basic problem - I am presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the 5500's don't even have the hardware for TPIS. Receivers, valve stems, etc.

If it's all there and just needs enabling that would be fantastic, but that feels like a long shot.
You would need the sensors in the wheels and possibly the module @Jimmy07 can confirm im sure

sludge

Reaction score
As @Brutal_HO stated in the second post, all 22 5500 SLT, Laramie, and Limited versions are supposed to have TPIS (code XBT) as a standard feature as shown in the buyers guide in his link. On the Tradesman version it is not a standard feature but is available as an option.

Seeing you have a SLT, you should have it. I personally would ride my dealer hard if it's not there.

For what it's worth, I have a 22 5500 Laramie that was ordered in November of 21 and delivered in February of 22 that has the TPIS. I subsequently changed it from the TPIS to TPMS using AlfaOBD.

As a side note, I can't find TPIS (XBT) as a feature for 2023 chassis cabs? See the following link for the 23 buyers guide. Maybe I missed it. https://www.stellantisfleet.com/shopping-tools/brochures-literature.html

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If they tell you that they cannot add it then I would ask for money back, and Ram will likely cut you a decent check.

This happened to me when my truck didn’t have the auto-dim headlights it was advertised as having.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
good morning just trying to learn about this a little more. I have a 22 5500 laramie, and ive been through all the menus and unless i am missing somthing truck definatly dosent have TPMS, or the "small truck" in the display showing tire pressures like i had on my previous rams/gm duallies. Is this somthing that isnt standard on 5500s? I see the previous post from Brutal that TPIS ( tire pressure information center?) comes standard on all trims above tradesmen. Although i am not sure what this does as i cant find anywhere in my menus that displays tire pressures. And these duallies are a PAIN to manually check lol. Just looking for some insight or direction as maybe i am missing somthing in the menus. I had thought i heard somewhere that TPMS had to be standard equipment nowadays

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had thought i heard somewhere that TPMS had to be standard equipment nowadays

TPMS is required on all vehicles with a GVWR of 10K and below. There is no requirement above that.

TPIS is a great feature that Ram puts on some trucks above 10K GVWR, but it’s not required.

I know a guy with a 2019 GMC DRW and it doesn’t have anything.

I would talk to your dealer, you should have TPIS.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
pardon my lack of knowledge in this, but is TPIS somthing behind the scenes like on pre-screen vehicles that will just pop up a low tire icon in the dash if a tire becomes below pressure?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
pardon my lack of knowledge in this, but is TPIS somthing behind the scenes like on pre-screen vehicles that will just pop up a low tire icon in the dash if a tire becomes below pressure?

No, nothing will pop up with TPIS. It’s the same screen as TPMS, but without any low pressure warnings.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Oh, so TPIS is literally just the truck there in the display with the current pressures. Yep i 100% do not have that. Truck built sept of 22

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
i wonder, is it still possible to get through the dealer? pfft i imagine as an after thought it'd cost a small fortune

gprguy

Reaction score
i wonder, is it still possible to get through the dealer? pfft i imagine as an after thought it'd cost a small fortune
Dealer, no. AlfaOBD - probably knowing how crafty people are. I plan to dig into it but I am waiting for my truck to show so I know exactly what is missing.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares
really? had nothing but a bad experience with Ram care, Basically told me to shove it when i asked for help.

Users who are viewing this thread