Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2500 owner - Contemplating 17s vs 18s

Nado

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Billet Laramie with the Bil leveling kit. Truck came with some 20" fuels that I am not a fan of. Wanting to head down to 17s or 18s with 35x12.5. Was hoping I could get some good recommendations on wheels setups. Perhaps maybe a pick or two. :)

Cheers all!
Nathan

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Billet Laramie with the Bil leveling kit. Truck came with some 20" fuels that I am not a fan of. Wanting to head down to 17s or 18s with 35x12.5. Was hoping I could get some good recommendations on wheels setups. Perhaps maybe a pick or two. :)

Cheers all!
Nathan
My tradesman came with 17" steel wheels. I didn't care for the look, size, or feel of them especially with the factory firestone tires. I immediately bought a set of these Ultra Crusher wheels (though I went with 18" with 33" Tires (Michelin LTX AT2) and have been happy with them.) I considered going to 20" wheels, but still would have only gone with 33" tires. The 18s were the winner for me so I'd have a taller sidewall.

Attachments

• 20191230_180235.jpg
    20191230_180235.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 47

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Nice. I too was thinking about a gray wheel instead of going with black. This definitely makes the case. What are the specs on your Raceline wheel?
18x9 +12ET

I went back and forth on 17 vs 18 for quite a while, but ultimately chose the 18s based on tire options in the 37" flavor combined with my lack of confidence that tire shops around here could manage to balance 17s without impinging on rotor space.

Nado

Reaction score
18x9 +12ET

I went back and forth on 17 vs 18 for quite a while, but ultimately chose the 18s based on tire options in the 37" flavor combined with my lack of confidence that tire shops around here could manage to balance 17s without impinging on rotor space.

Never thought about the balancing issue. Ill have to consider that. Did you see a noticeable difference in MPG going from 35 to 37? I keep hearing that is very negligible. Right now the truck is equipped with 20s and 295/65/20. Curious if I will take a bigger hit in MPG.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Never thought about the balancing issue. Ill have to consider that. Did you see a noticeable difference in MPG going from 35 to 37? I keep hearing that is very negligible. Right now the truck is equipped with 20s and 295/65/20. Curious if I will take a bigger hit in MPG.
I couldn't compare definitively, as I don't think I even put a full tank of gas on the stockers before moving up to 37s, but I'm sure you'd see at least a small hit. But the size is only one variable in the mix. Tire weight, rolling resistance, width, etc... all can have an impact on gas mileage. On my 4th gen, I noticed a difference moving from Toyo RTs to Falken Wildpeaks in the exact same size, running the same pressures. I never worried about it, but it was there.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I went with 17s and 37s. I like more rubber. I would have been happy with 37s and 18s though. The old rule of double the tire size over the wheel size still resonates in my head I guess. Balancing weights are not an issue with 17s if they place them in the correct place. I mentioned it to my tire shop and they said they were aware and had already done several trucks with 17s.

At Safari 2 smaller.jpg

Nado

Reaction score
I went with 17s and 37s. I like more rubber. I would have been happy with 37s and 18s though. The old rule of double the tire size over the wheel size still resonates in my head I guess. Balancing weights are not an issue with 17s if they place them in the correct place. I mentioned it to my tire shop and they said they were aware and had already done several trucks with 17s.

View attachment 14916

Yeah, I am still leaning towards 17s. One, cost of wheel. Two, cost of tire. Three, better ride quality IMO. Four, slightly better mpg because of rotational mass being less.

Users who are viewing this thread