Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2024 Ram

Hexnut

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 5th Ram diesel truck. First thing I noticed when looking at the manual (that gets smaller each time) is they now recommend 10W-30 diesel oil. Is this new for 2024? I have always used 15W-40 (that I have 9 gallons of on hand). I am hoping someone can shed more light on this.

flan

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 5th Ram diesel truck. First thing I noticed when looking at the manual (that gets smaller each time) is they now recommend 10W-30 diesel oil. Is this new for 2024? I have always used 15W-40 (that I have 9 gallons of on hand). I am hoping someone can shed more light on this.
5/40 syn or 10/30 for the 2019+ motor. 5/40 is required in areas that get below 0degF. Overall it’s the better choice for cold starting and high temp hauling. They have hydraulic lifters now, that’s what spurred the change in viscosities.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

As others have mentioned it deals with the hydraulic lifters that were introduced in 2019.

You do not want to run that 15w-40 in your new truck. Ram claims it can do lifter damage.

Users who are viewing this thread