Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2022 ram 2500 diesel issues

Bowzer_83

Reaction score
Hello all
I just purchased a new 2022 ram 2500 limited 6.7L truck was a demo with 3000kms on it.
Everyone I know with 23 ram diesels all say they had 22’s and got rid of them as fast as they could and said I should do the same. Where I live it gets to-40 in the winters. All say they had major major issues with the DPF system to where the truck physically would not start even being plugged in. Even when it’s warm out they all had there exhaust system completely replaced atleast once, 1 guy was 3 times. They all had front heater issues, 1 guy had to pay $2700 to get his replaced because he didn’t have a winter front on even though the dealership told him he didn’t need it because of the active shutters. And upon reading forums guys are having major transmission failures with low low kms.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this, should I dump my new truck.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
You are in Canada I assume? If you have issues, delete the garbage. It’s likely cheaper than dumping the truck for another one. My father has a 22 with no issues. There might be a higher rate of problems but I don’t think it’s all that bad personally.

Bowzer_83

Reaction score
You are in Canada I assume? If you have issues, delete the garbage. It’s likely cheaper than dumping the truck for another one. My father has a 22 with no issues. There might be a higher rate of problems but I don’t think it’s all that bad personally.
Thank you for your response

Bowzer_83

Reaction score
Thank you for your response
And yes in Canada. I’m scared to remove the DPF system as I was told by my dealership if I did that it would void ALL my power train warranty everything including diffs and everything in between

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Transmission problems were on 3500 HO with AISIN (I believe it was on 22m.y.) not applicable to you.
Heater issues can't happen because you didn't put on the winter front so unrelated.
Also there is a recall for def module where they adjust def operation in cold weather. Make sure it's up to date on all recalls.

Bowzer_83

Reaction score
Transmission problems were on 3500 HO with AISIN (I believe it was on 22m.y.) not applicable to you.
Heater issues can't happen because you didn't put on the winter front so unrelated.
Also there is a recall for def module where they adjust def operation in cold weather. Make sure it's up to date on all recalls.
Sorry, not the heater itself but the grid heater. Also read that it’s very common for the grid heater bolt to deteriorate and fall into the #6 cylinder possibly causing total engine failure.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Sorry, not the heater itself but the grid heater. Also read that it’s very common for the grid heater bolt to deteriorate and fall into the #6 cylinder possibly causing total engine failure.
Yeah one of the later years, possibly 22 had an electric issue with a grid heater relay or something like that and I believe there was a recall or a tsb to address the issue.
The grid heater bolt is across the band of all Cummins engines for the last decade or so and not a 22 m.y. issue. Too early to worry about it yet with a new truck.
Talking about deletes - I am in Alberta and decided to do the following: drive it until my extended warranty runs out and then do it. May do it a bit earlier or later if and when I start having issues. So far my 2019 HO was flawless but I live in a country and almost every time I drive, it gets a workout and gets up to operating temperature. Lots of issues happens when people use their trucks as grocery getters and family cars

Last edited:

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I think that grid heater issue has been an issue for many years and they sell an aftermarket fix for it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all
I just purchased a new 2022 ram 2500 limited 6.7L truck was a demo with 3000kms on it.
Everyone I know with 23 ram diesels all say they had 22’s and got rid of them as fast as they could and said I should do the same. Where I live it gets to-40 in the winters. All say they had major major issues with the DPF system to where the truck physically would not start even being plugged in. Even when it’s warm out they all had there exhaust system completely replaced atleast once, 1 guy was 3 times. They all had front heater issues, 1 guy had to pay $2700 to get his replaced because he didn’t have a winter front on even though the dealership told him he didn’t need it because of the active shutters. And upon reading forums guys are having major transmission failures with low low kms.

You're "mixing metaphors" so to speak.

DPF and "plugged in" and DEF are all 3 entirely different things.

Plugged in is the block heater, it's in a coolant passage and *may* also help warm the oil through block thermal transfer. It has zero affect on the other 2. It also has zero affect on the Diesel fuel preheat system. It has marginal affect on the grid heater as the PCM is going to command grid heat based on many operating parameters.

The DEF system has a heater for the DEF fluid. Programming won't (shouldn't) try to use DEF below around 12-19F as I recall. There was a TSB/Recall on some MY for this.

DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter. Regens to burn off soot need heat. If the soot can't be burned off properly due to lack of heat in the system, it can start to plug up. I think passive regens would be mostly affected and force the system to do more active regens. Excessive regens can lead to build up of ash and also plug the DPF (end its service life).

"Front heater issues?"

Bowzer_83

Reaction score
You're "mixing metaphors" so to speak.

DPF and "plugged in" and DEF are all 3 entirely different things.

Plugged in is the block heater, it's in a coolant passage and *may* also help warm the oil through block thermal transfer. It has zero affect on the other 2. It also has zero affect on the Diesel fuel preheat system. It has marginal affect on the grid heater as the PCM is going to command grid heat based on many operating parameters.

The DEF system has a heater for the DEF fluid. Programming won't (shouldn't) try to use DEF below around 12-19F as I recall. There was a TSB/Recall on some MY for this.

DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter. Regens to burn off soot need heat. If the soot can't be burned off properly due to lack of heat in the system, it can start to plug up. I think passive regens would be mostly affected and force the system to do more active regens. Excessive regens can lead to build up of ash and also plug the DPF (end its service life).

"Front heater issues?"
I corrected myself in 1 of my replies and it’s the grid heater I was referring to.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Hello all
Drive it and enjoy in current form.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yes the banks kit. Just not sure what it will do to warranty
Folks deleting grid heaters go with these kits but whether there is an option to keep the heater and just get rid of the "killer bolt" problem, I'm not sure. In Canada we do need them grid heaters as well those living in northern states so not a good idea to delete them.
Dealer can say whatever they like if they're being a**holes but banks kit won't affect the warranty, it's just a different shape aftermarket intake

flan

Reaction score
While the grid heater bolt is a issue, it’s a very rare one compared to the amount of trucks out there. There’s a easy test to check it occasionally and that’s to grab the wire where the bolt is and give it a wiggle. If it’s loose that’s a problem.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
If believe I’ve read that the 19+ trucks grid heater bolt was addressed. I’m sure someone will chime to correct me If that’s not the case.

flan

Reaction score
Still a problem, esp if the grid heater relay recall wasn’t completed and the heater sticks on.

jebruns

Reaction score
Hello all
And exactly what changes do your sources claim the 23's got that the 22's didn't have? AFAIK, a 22 with all the recalls/updates is the same as a 23, speaking of the Cummins part.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
DEF isn’t an issue in the cold, for most, with the latest software and recall applied (if applicable). Once DEF freezes, 12°F, the truck won’t even try the DEF heater until the ambient temp is above 12°F.

Grid heater bolt has been an issue since 2007.5, meaning that it’s an issue but also a non-issue or there would be a recall/fix. Just do the wiggle test each oil change. Don’t only read the propaganda from someone trying to make money off a fix.

Get, and run, the winter front. The active shutters are not the same thing. The winter front does a great job making the block heater more effective, and keeping heat in the engine bay when stopped.

$2700 to replace a grid heater, or a component, because a winter front wasn’t used also sounds like complete bs. Either your buddy was taken advantage of, or something else occurred. The grid heater is barely even used after startup and that’s when the winter front does most its work.

Nothing in the DPF system should keep the truck from starting.

There are some aftertreatment failures and some regen frequency issues, but much of that is caused by driving conditions. If you plan to use the truck like a truck then it’ll be fine, if you plan to use it like a grocery getter it could be an issue.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to run the risk of a 10K fine and loss of the truck until a ministry inspection to prove the emissions are reinstalled

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to run the risk of a 10K fine and loss of the truck until a ministry inspection to prove the emissions are reinstalled

If you’re not running a commercial truck through scales- I highly doubt this is even an issue unless someone is rolling coal in front of law enforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread