Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

AT3

Reaction score
I just purchased a "NEW" 2021 Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel the truck has 3700 miles (not a typo) hence i say new.... i pull a toy hauler and i am looking to upgrade campers but here is the rub. I have a bike lift designed to go in the truck bed so I will need to be able to hook up and tow with the tailgate down. The tongue jack is within millimeters of the tailgate when down. I have searched for campers with a longer tongues, it seems that is just not the style anymore, I am looking at extended shank hitches, or trying to to move the tongue jack and probably the propane tanks as well. Anyone else come across this issue and what do you suggest.

flan

Reaction score
Extended shank hitch is a bad idea. Can you remove the tailgate?

Gear box

Reaction score
Search RV tailgate. Maybe that would give enough clearance when towing

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Extended shank hitch is a bad idea. Can you remove the tailgate?

They certainly reduce the effectiveness of the WDH, but it sure is nice to be able to open the tailgate at almost any angle.

I ran an 18” shank for many years, but when I switched to only towing a TT a couple times a year I went back to a standard shank. The difference in weight transfer is impressive for only a 6” difference.

Even with the 18” shank I don’t think I’d ever tow with the tailgate down, it’s still too close for comfort.

I suggest figuring out how to close the tailgate, or remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread