Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 New diesel owner, maintenance tips

Brauny96

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a 2021 ram big horn Cummins and am pretty new to these new generation diesels though I’ve been driving them for a few years at work. I’ve heard of issues with the Cp4’s but I read they went back to the CP3 in 2021. I want to take care of this truck and get it from 4 miles to 400,000 miles. What are some good maintenance tips I should be doing as I’m traveling? Truck is gojng to be hooked to a 30’ travel trailer and sent 2500 miles to California. What types of additives are you running in the fuel and anything else you might have to add let me know. Thanks!

Aketay

Reaction score
Tons of information just by searching additives. That said, just by good fuel from high volume dealers such as newer truck stops. DEF from the pump is cheaper as long as the nozzle is clean. About every oil change I try to remember to run a bottle of Power Service in the fuel. Oil changes with 10W-30 summer and 5W-40 in the winter, no 15W-40 because of the hydraulic lifters. Use Mopar or Fleetgaurd filters. Front and rear differentials fluids changed at first oil change, factory tends to underfill and the gears should be checked for even wear pattern. After that I change them again at the transmission service intervals every 75,000 miles. Check the rear bearing adjustment at 75,000 miles, they should be good until you have replace rear axle seals at which time you will remove them to install new seals. Never had a bearing fail before I sell the truck at 440,000 miles. Ever truck is different, but before you get to 400,000 miles you can expect to replace the front hub assembly, rear pinion seal, the shocks and steering stabilizer as soon as you can, and a set of ball joints. On my last three trucks I never had to do an alignment. If you replace the hub assembly before it gets too bad, you shouldn’t need to replace the brake pads. That makes these trucks very cost effective, which is why I tow commercially with them.

kraftwerx

Reaction score
Tons of information just by searching additives. That said, just by good fuel from high volume dealers such as newer truck stops. DEF from the pump is cheaper as long as the nozzle is clean. About every oil change I try to remember to run a bottle of Power Service in the fuel. Oil changes with 10W-30 summer and 5W-40 in the winter, no 15W-40 because of the hydraulic lifters. Use Mopar or Fleetgaurd filters. Front and rear differentials fluids changed at first oil change, factory tends to underfill and the gears should be checked for even wear pattern. After that I change them again at the transmission service intervals every 75,000 miles. Check the rear bearing adjustment at 75,000 miles, they should be good until you have replace rear axle seals at which time you will remove them to install new seals. Never had a bearing fail before I sell the truck at 440,000 miles. Ever truck is different, but before you get to 400,000 miles you can expect to replace the front hub assembly, rear pinion seal, the shocks and steering stabilizer as soon as you can, and a set of ball joints. On my last three trucks I never had to do an alignment. If you replace the hub assembly before it gets too bad, you shouldn’t need to replace the brake pads. That makes these trucks very cost effective, which is why I tow commercially with them.
Someone told me that swapping out the differential cover to a Banks was a good idea. Would you recommend that when changing the fluids?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Someone told me that swapping out the differential cover to a Banks was a good idea. Would you recommend that when changing the fluids?
I like the Banks covers because it is much easier to change the fluid once you install it. Not really sure if it actually makes the axle last longer. Not availble for the 12 inch ring gear yet. Supposedly by the end of this year. I will put one on mine.

Aketay

Reaction score
Are you planning on towing heavy? The factory cover as ugly as it gets, is pretty efficient. Keep good oil and change it when necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread