Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Tranny help please

Chromedome

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here...
I have a '17 Power Wagon, 6.4 with 66 RFE. Currently has about 67k on the clock, bought it with about 45k two summers ago. Now for my issue:
I moved a boat with it last week and briefly put into 4H to pull the boat out of the water. Then shifted back to 2H and continued on. The next day I noticed when I started the truck, it sounded fine but as soon as I shift into any gear, there is a muffled clunking noise underneath. It goes away in P or N. It also doesn't matter if the T case is in 4H, 4L or 2H, same noise. But if the T case is in N it goes away regardless of the column shifter position.
Took it to one shop, they drove it and said either torque converter or pump but will only replace the entire Trans ($6400).
Had another mechanic listen to it and he said he thought a bolt backed out and is rubbing the inside of the box, but doesn't have time to mess with it.
My local Ram dealer tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need on my last oil change so I don't trust them (BTW that oil change was just a few days before I noticed this issue)
No lights were on initially, but after driving it to the first shop, the check engine light came on.
Until today it felt relatively normal to drive (I'm pretty mechanically observant so I could tell something was off, but not by much) also the noise can't really be heard unless the truck is running but stationary with the door open. It's not very loud.
Today while rolling up to a stop sign it seemed like it didn't want to allow a downshift. It was holding 3rd down to about 5 mph and the truck started knocking loudly and bucking, but downshifted before it stalled. It felt just like if you were to stop a manual trans without pushing in the clutch. I was driving with the gear indicator on the display so I could keep an eye on what was going on, and noticed it seemed to not want to downshift when slowing. When I manually downshifted 3-2-1 it was ok, no bucking or knocking. So obviously I'm not driving it much for fear of completely ruining it, but only when necessary and only short drives. Also I should mention I've been watching the trans temp and it's been well below 200 at all times since this started.
So I hope someone smarter than me may have some ideas of what to do at this point. Thanks in advance!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Go to a trans shop not a generic garage, a trans shop will be able to get you sorted out without having to drop a. New trans in it

Users who are viewing this thread