Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help with Building 2500 Limited/Laramie

Activelogic72

Reaction score
I've read many good threads about payload and towing limits and GAWR - I would love to build out a Limited bc I love the interior. But may need to go with a Laramie to gain payload. I'm hoping some of you that have recently built a new (2019-2021) Limited or Laramie can share your tricks to gaining the most payload possible.
My Goals
Payload as close to #2500 as possible
6.7 Diesel (I know this takes away payload, but I need this for my towing applications)
Anti Slip
Black Appearance or Night Edition
Limited Level 1 or Laramie Level 2 or ????
Safety pkg
I would add more - But I'm afraid I would loose to much in payload - hence the post!

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate the guidance.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Agree with farmallboy. Step 1 when selecting the diesel, go with a 3500. This way you can get the limited with all the goodies and still have plenty of payload. Don't forget to checkout the MegaCab. The extra room in the back is awesome! Also, how much are you towing? 10 to 12k or less and the 6.4 Hemi is a great option, especially with the 4.10 rear end. This way you can still go with a 2500 which has a much better ride, especially with the air suspension.

Activelogic72

Reaction score
Agree with farmallboy. Step 1 when selecting the diesel, go with a 3500. This way you can get the limited with all the goodies and still have plenty of payload. Don't forget to checkout the MegaCab. The extra room in the back is awesome! Also, how much are you towing? 10 to 12k or less and the 6.4 Hemi is a great option, especially with the 4.10 rear end. This way you can still go with a 2500 which has a much better ride, especially with the air suspension.

I would prefer the better ride - I would assume adding air suspension will also take away from the payload.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Find a lot truck optioned how you want and run the VIN on the towing guide site to check the payload.

Do NOT depend on the numbers you see posted in tow guides or online lists.

FYI, some 2500 owners are complaining of sway issues depending on the setup. What are you towing that you need payload?

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I would prefer the better ride - I would assume adding air suspension will also take away from the payload.
I have a 2500 Limited Megacab (4x4) with the Hemi and air suspension. My payload is 2,419.07 pounds. Max tow (I have the 4.10) is 16,419.07 Pounds. The ride is great and it tows like a dream. My TT is just under 9k and 30' long. I use a Blue Ox weight distribution anti sway hitch with 1500 pound bars. Did the Smokies last year and had plenty of power going over the grades. The 6.4 Hemi mated to the 8 speed transmission works great, nice and smooth and never seems to be hunting for the right gear. The only downside so far is that it is a thirsty beast and I tow using 89 octane as recommended in the owners manual. Just curious as to the length and weight of what it is you are towing.

Activelogic72

Reaction score
I have a Lance 2375 = 29 foot trailer with a tongue weight of 850-1000 lbs. (max trailer weight of 7500) Weekend trips to the CA Coast - we pack light and hit tongue wt of #850. Add me and the wife and we are 350, add my 2 dogs they add 200. If I need my generator 120. Plus anything else I want to add, wood, gear, 2 kayaks etc etc. I think if my payload is close to 2500 I have some cushion. This truck will also be my daily driver as well, therefore I really do not want a 3500. Plus I'm not crazy about black on black living in the desert. BC I want the Night edition.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I have a Lance 2375 = 29 foot trailer with a tongue weight of 850-1000 lbs. (max trailer weight of 7500) Weekend trips to the CA Coast - we pack light and hit tongue wt of #850. Add me and the wife and we are 350, add my 2 dogs they add 200. If I need my generator 120. Plus anything else I want to add, wood, gear, 2 kayaks etc etc. I think if my payload is close to 2500 I have some cushion. This truck will also be my daily driver as well, therefore I really do not want a 3500. Plus I'm not crazy about black on black living in the desert. BC I want the Night edition.
Everything you list above is a strong argument to go with the 6.4 Hemi. You are not towing enough to even need the 4.10 gears as the standard 3.73 will be just fine. The standard Cummins is 9 grand more and the high output is 11 grand more. Thats a whole lot of gas money. Your payload with the CC will be over 2500, it will ride great and tow your trailer with no problems. Also you should be aware that diesels do not well sitting around or being used for short trips. Your maintenance costs will be high plus you will need to deal with filling diesel emission fluid and the regen issues. Don't get me wrong, the Cummins is a great engine and if you tow heavy and often then its the way to go. Don't let some sales person push the diesel on you just because that all they have in stock. Your buying an expensive truck anyway you look at it. Why not get it exactly the way you want? That mean order it. You still can negotiate price and get whatever rebates are in place at time of delivery.

nux89

Reaction score
I am confused by the payload on my 2019 2500 limited 6.7. I thought I had more payload but the sticker shows 2082. Not sure where the ~400# was eaten up but it is a little concerning as I am looking at GD 312BHTS with 11295 GVWR and ~1000# tongue weight. Thoughts?

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I am confused by the payload on my 2019 2500 limited 6.7. I thought I had more payload but the sticker shows 2082. Not sure where the ~400# was eaten up but it is a little concerning as I am looking at GD 312BHTS with 11295 GVWR and ~1000# tongue weight. Thoughts?

Trade her in for a 3500...Used truck values are in your favor right now!!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Everything you list above is a strong argument to go with the 6.4 Hemi. You are not towing enough to even need the 4.10 gears as the standard 3.73 will be just fine. The standard Cummins is 9 grand more and the high output is 11 grand more. Thats a whole lot of gas money. Your payload with the CC will be over 2500, it will ride great and tow your trailer with no problems. Also you should be aware that diesels do not well sitting around or being used for short trips. Your maintenance costs will be high plus you will need to deal with filling diesel emission fluid and the regen issues. Don't get me wrong, the Cummins is a great engine and if you tow heavy and often then its the way to go. Don't let some sales person push the diesel on you just because that all they have in stock. Your buying an expensive truck anyway you look at it. Why not get it exactly the way you want? That mean order it. You still can negotiate price and get whatever rebates are in place at time of delivery.
This. The hemi is perfectly suited for that job and frees up ~900 lb payload.

Papa Red

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I hope you have your truck figured out by now.

Red

nux89

Reaction score
This. The hemi is perfectly suited for that job and frees up ~900 lb payload.
You are correct, and then I lose 5000# lb towing capacity. 3500 is probably the best approach but I don't want the poor fuel mileage.

Darkside

Reaction score
You are correct, and then I lose 5000# lb towing capacity. 3500 is probably the best approach but I don't want the poor fuel mileage.
You won’t lose 5000# towing if you go with the 4:10 gears, maybe 600-700lbs, a diesel 2500 couldn’t tow enough more to pull me away from the 6.4 Hemi. The diesel isn’t worth the loss in payload in my opinion.

nux89

Reaction score
You won’t lose 5000# towing if you go with the 4:10 gears, maybe 600-700lbs, a diesel 2500 couldn’t tow enough more to pull me away from the 6.4 Hemi. The diesel isn’t worth the loss in payload in my opinion.
Just weighed the truck, 8200# with me and a full tank of fuel.

nux89

Reaction score
So you have me thinking and now I am looking at some other trucks. I am not finding any Hemi's with 4:10s in my area, would the 3:73s do the job? I can definitely increase my payload and the towing is around 14.5k, so not bad.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
So you have me thinking and now I am looking at some other trucks. I am not finding any Hemi's with 4:10s in my area, would the 3:73s do the job? I can definitely increase my payload and the towing is around 14.5k, so not bad.
There's a thread HERE about towing with the 6.4, honestly with the 8 speed you will have plenty of gears for the truck to choose from to get you up almost any hill. You're probably close to the point of where the 4.10's would be a good choice if you know you will be traveling through mountains often. I know there's people here with trailers just as heavy and have a Hemi, I've even seen some dually 3500 Hemi trucks with big 5th wheels.

Highcountry

Reaction score
My two cents is, if in doubt with gearing go for the advantage. You may not "need" 4:10's, but I doubt you'd ever regret having them. Especially if you decide on taller tires in the future

Darkside

Reaction score
You definitely should go to Ram’s site when you find a truck, make sure to enter the VIN of the truck you found to get the actual towing and payload numbers for that exact truck. Don’t listen to the salesman unless they pull the actual numbers by the VIN.08B28725-6976-48A1-8728-C260B41123F7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread