Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help w/ 2500 Hemi vs Cummins

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I’ll be retiring from the Air Force after 26 years early next year.

The wife and I will likely get a 7000# TT that’s no longer than 27 ft. I know the Cummins will be much better for towing and the Hemi would likely be better as a daily driver. Especially with my 2 mile commute to work here in Alaska. But this is temporary.

What should I do?

I currently have 2019 Rebel.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'd love to have a Rebel. Keep that for your DD, buy the cummins, and plan on a larger trailer.

Done.

:)

PS.. thank you for your service!

rossagge

Reaction score
Either will tow what you plan on getting. You'll still get better fuel economy with the Cummins either way. I get 20mpg of a daily commute of 30 miles round trip in my 6.7L. The 6.4L gave me near 18mpg, but in town the 6.4L got around 15ish at best. 6.7L in town around 18ish. I don't have a heavy right foot. But if you plan on upgrading your TT later on to something heavier and or a 5er and you get the 6.4l, you'll prob regret it. Get the diesel and plan ahead and get the gooseneck/5th wheel prep. Ask me how I know. ;) Congrats on your retirement!

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Don't get the Cummins/2500 combo if you have plans to tow heavy. You'll run out of payload long before you can really put that Cummins to work. Minimal cost to move up to 3500, that's the better pairing for the Cummins.

All my opinion of course, if you want to spend an extra 9k to tow a relatively light 7k trailer, be my guest. Just saying the Hemi with the 8sp will handle it fine.

rossagge

Reaction score
Don't get the Cummins/2500 combo if you have plans to tow heavy. You'll run out of payload long before you can really put that Cummins to work. Minimal cost to move up to 3500, that's the better pairing for the Cummins.

All my opinion of course, if you want to spend an extra 9k to tow a relatively light 7k trailer, be my guest. Just saying the Hemi with the 8sp will handle it fine.
Yes. +1. I should of stated that in my reply. I'm about to sell my 2500 for a 3500, but the Cab and Chassis w/4.10's and SRW. Mainly for payload. My towing only went up 700ish lbs to 19,900+. But the standard 3500 will be able to tow more. Cab and Chassis has less HP/360 and Torque/800 figures on the SO Cummins. Still quite a bit. Hope I don't realize I need the DRW later on...HAHA. Change in needs and lifestyle. Plan ahead! This will be my 3thrd HD in 3 years...:confused:

Last edited:

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
No plans to tow anything larger. However I’ve read a ton of posts from people that talk about getting a bigger truck because they’re wanting a bigger trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I would do the 6.4 due to the PITA of cold weather diesels, emissions horsecrap effecting long term reliability, and keeping your trailer plans under 10k. It's going to be an easier day to day truck with less worries of block heaters, fuel additive, DPF regens with only a 2 mile drive to work...etc.

Take it from a 6.7 guy. The 6.4 will fit your needs great.

Aboutree50

Reaction score
If you get the 2500, get the Hemi. If getting the 3500, go diesel.

I also tow a TT around 6/7k. Payload is everything to me with all the crap I bring during camping trips. If you go 2500 with a diesel, you'll have way less payload. Probably run out of payload before reaching your tow capacity if you bring family and all like most people.

Last edited:

Grayson

Reaction score
26 years...you deserve to pony up.

If it's going to be your only vehicle I would go with a 2500 w/diesel. If it's not your DD; I would go with a lesser equipped 3500 diesel to tow and all the home improvement tasks you've put off but promised your wife.

6.4 is a great engine. It will take 87 & 91 octane however 93 is best. If you do your own maintenance the cost difference comes out in favor of the diesel including prices, oil, filters, etc. I can purchase 12 quarts of "Cummins Approved" Valvoline for roughly $40. Gassers I've had in the past with OEM branded oil have come out to a higher expense for me. Good luck with all the future endeavors.

Firebird

Reaction score
I loved my 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears, and it will pull that trailer with ease! I recently traded out to a 3500 Cummins, because trade in offers are too good to pass up right now. Now, as much as I loved my 6.4, and I really did, towing the same camper with this 3500 is in a completely different league! Unfortunately, I cannot comment on Alaska climate and diesel, as I live in Florida

Users who are viewing this thread