Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on suspension fix

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I get the being rougher and still having the initial bounce when hitting a crack, joint or bump in the road. But the, for lack of a better word, reverberation was my complaint. I drove class 8 trucks for 40 years so I understand Heavy Duty. I crawled under my new truck and looked at the cross member arrangement and I believe it has to be frame flex causing these harmonics. I do not believe it is in the suspension or cab mounts. If that is the case, I don’t know of a fix for it.

ClawSS

Reaction score
The time I had the tech drive/ride in my truck...a few wks/months ago, he admitted to feeling what I "complained" about, and the next words were..."It could be frame flex." I cringed....

I had a 1/2 ton 1996 K1500 Silverado 3-door ext. cab. I think it may have been the 1st year they tried this suicide door idea on the passenger side only. My 1st "ordered for me" truck.

Frame harmonics at 45mph would shake a drink out of the console. The SOB would literally bounce like you were porpoising on a concrete road even though unloaded. Traded it back within 2wks for a Tahoe.
They told me that was caused by Frame Flex.

WTF do these things keep finding me?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
On the LB truck I had, from the forward most rear cross member to the rearward most front cross member there was like a 6 foot gap with nothing but the driveline and exhaust in the center section of the frame. I don’t know if the difference between the Hemi and the CTD would make a difference or not. New CTD has the newer transmission mount style as well but being it’s a CCSB it’s more congested underneath. I saw a diagram somewhere that showed an extra piece of metal where the rear frame makes the turn about where the control arms hook to the frame. The description said for heavy duty and installed at the factory. Mine did not have the piece. I haven’t looked to see if it’s on the new one. It was on a Mopar parts diagram for the frame but I have not been able to relocate it. That part may/might be something that got left off on some trucks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I can tell you one thing after riding in my colleague's bone stock 2020 Tradesman CCSB Hemi.....with 60+ lbs. in the tires.
His rides much rougher than mine. Hard bouncy, with definite side-shift when the suspension unloads in the rear.
IF this is what y'all call normal, wow. Just wow. I'm not immediately going to go with "it's all just me"...but I'm thinking I need to look in the mirror and reflect on my expectations.
@OLEJOE may be on to something, but I'm TRX stupid.
Hmm

ClawSS

Reaction score
No changes on the ride quality. But no changes on the truck either. I repeat it is not an HD harshness I am trying to fix...it's the reverberation of the suspension AFTER the bump. It's the shaken baby AFTER the slap.
I get a placebo effect I believe with more passengers in the cab, but NOT with that extra weight in the bed. I want to do more experimentation on cab weight....All of the mounts have been checked by me and the dealer for torque or damage.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
No changes on the ride quality. But no changes on the truck either. I repeat it is not an HD harshness I am trying to fix...it's the reverberation of the suspension AFTER the bump. It's the shaken baby AFTER the slap.
I get a placebo effect I believe with more passengers in the cab, but NOT with that extra weight in the bed. I want to do more experimentation on cab weight....All of the mounts have been checked by me and the dealer for torque or damage.
Recruit help
Her: “I’ll do anything you want for $50 bucks”
You: “do you have three friends”
Her “that’ll cost more”
You: “y’all buckle up, there is this weird stretch of pavement I wanna check”

Users who are viewing this thread