Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help about frequent regens

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Guys not to bring up older thread but this constant Regens is driving me crazy. I really don't think I do "too much city driving"....as I drive 25 miles one way on the interstate to get to and from work. Someone posted something about additives being burnt off in previous reply. Could me adding Hot Shots diesel additive be causing the constant regens?

Reaction score
Guys not to bring up older thread but this constant Regens is driving me crazy. I really don't think I do "too much city driving"....as I drive 25 miles one way on the interstate to get to and from work. Someone posted something about additives being burnt off in previous reply. Could me adding Hot Shots diesel additive be causing the constant regens?
How often is it regening? Mine seems like a lot, but if I go by engine hours it's only every 24 like a previous poster said. Also why add additives? Doubtful it would cause frequent regens, but still.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I use Hot Shots and I only ever have the auto regens every 24 hours of engine use. My DPF gauge never moves.

Elk_Addict23

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for about a month now, just turned 1000 miles and it’s gone through 3 regens already. That seems pretty excessive to me, most of my driving to date is highway with some stop and go mixed in but one regen every 350 miles seems crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
Elk how many engine hours do you have?

GBB

Reaction score
Same here, every 24 hours…Hot Shot in every tank

flan

Reaction score
That is pretty excessive!

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
I own a 2020 ram 2500. My average speed on my truck sits at 48.7 mph. I have a 35 mile commute to and from work. The route to work does have stoplights. My regens were around 1000 miles when I first got it. Then at 6000 miles the cp4 pump went out and I got the fixed (which they replaced all fuel injectors) and now I’m at 14000 miles and my regens are at about every 100-200 miles. I have taken it back to shop and they did a force regen on it and said that the whole dpf system checked out good and they said it clean now and should be good. However they never check on engine exhaust output. 200 miles later it regened again. This is the front end of our recreational as well and our only vehicle besides my bike. So it has to get me to and from work as well. On a guess does anybody think something is wrong with truck from the cp4 repair or do you think it is all just my driving style and if I hook up the camper and take it a drive it will clean it out better than a force regen. I am not mechanically talented by any means, Just working off of common sense. I’m wanting to take camper on a 800 mile trip, but worried if it a problem is coming off engine it will clog up filter that much faster while the camper is hooked.

That's a short commute but it seems your average speed is pretty high for that, so it appears it's more highway, not stop and go. Short trips, stop and go, etc. may make it regen more often.

I have no idea when my truck regens or how often (can't tell, unlike my PowerStroke when I could feel the loss of power and smell it), but that seems really excessive. Once I had TSB 18-059-20 done it made a world of difference on how my truck ran and the DEF usage was much less. I can't comment on any effect it had on regens, however.

Will_T

Reaction score
On the first long towing trip I paid attention to this and what I saw was: Trip started out at 43 hours on the engine and I had not noticed a regen yet although could have easily missed it. Now with the Banks iDash I have one field set to regen on/off and also display exhaust gas temps so can tell easily. At 47 hours I looked at the DPF screen and it was at what appeared to be 0% so you would not thing a regen was needed. But at 48 hours it went into regen so those who are saying every 24 hours regardless of need must be correct.

Seems like such a waste though to have it regen if there is no need for it. I could really see the fuel gauge dropping faster for the 20+ minutes of regen. Also the DEF gauge dropped faster too. EGT3 went from about 850 before regen to about 1,100 degrees during regen.

Last edited:

Hah0910

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for about a month now, just turned 1000 miles and it’s gone through 3 regens already. That seems pretty excessive to me, most of my driving to date is highway with some stop and go mixed in but one regen every 350 miles seems crazy!

I have 33k on mine and it's only did 2 or 3 regens at the 250 to 300 mile mark. Most all the time its 24 engine hours or 650 to 750 miles. I would definitely suspect a problem however the dealerships unfortunately are only trained for check engine code related problems. No codes no problem! Good luck resolving that bud. I feel for ya.

Will_T

Reaction score
I can confirm that my regens are happening every 24 hours and that it has nothing to do with the state of the DPF. I watched as I approached 72 hours on the engine. DPF was at or very close to 0% on the truck's display and at 0.5% on the iDash. At exactly 72 hours a regen started. I was just leaving my driveway to get fuel and run a couple of errands around town. So first I hopped on the freeway out and back a few exits to run at a speed that would complete the regen. When finished, the trucks's DPF gauge was the same, at or close to 0% and the iDash at 0.2%. So now I have 3 regens, at 24, 48, and 72 hours, all of them with the DPF at approx. 0%.

FWIW here are a few photos showing the regen displayed on the trucks display and also on the iDash. I like the iDash because it not only indicates regen on or off, but also shows how the egt3 goes way up beyond the egt1 during a regen. Normally they are roughly equal.

regen1.jpgregen2.jpgregen3.jpgregen4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread