Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help about frequent regens

Dutch918

Reaction score
I own a 2020 ram 2500. My average speed on my truck sits at 48.7 mph. I have a 35 mile commute to and from work. The route to work does have stoplights. My regens were around 1000 miles when I first got it. Then at 6000 miles the cp4 pump went out and I got the fixed (which they replaced all fuel injectors) and now I’m at 14000 miles and my regens are at about every 100-200 miles. I have taken it back to shop and they did a force regen on it and said that the whole dpf system checked out good and they said it clean now and should be good. However they never check on engine exhaust output. 200 miles later it regened again. This is the front end of our recreational as well and our only vehicle besides my bike. So it has to get me to and from work as well. On a guess does anybody think something is wrong with truck from the cp4 repair or do you think it is all just my driving style and if I hook up the camper and take it a drive it will clean it out better than a force regen. I am not mechanically talented by any means, Just working off of common sense. I’m wanting to take camper on a 800 mile trip, but worried if it a problem is coming off engine it will clog up filter that much faster while the camper is hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
I would also like info on this issue. Mine seems to be going into regen way more frequently. At work sometimes I sometimes sit in the truck with AC on for 10 to 15 min, could that really be why I'm seeing regens every 150 to 200 miles?

flan

Reaction score
Mine does it in 24hr intervals. If I look at total engine hours I can tell you how many regens I have had. I leave my EVIC on the dpf screen at all times and when I see the message it’s doing its thing I can switch to the engine run time screen and it will be at a 24hr mark. Next time yours is active see if it’s similar?

Dutch918

Reaction score
Flan
What is the soot level getting up to when is does the regen. Mine get to the 50% level and that when it starts. I will check out the time and watch that and see what kind of results I get on that. I don’t think it is 24 hrs due to fact that I don’t idle much. And I’ve had it regen a little over 100 miles.

Andrew5415

Reaction score
Flan
What is the soot level getting up to when is does the regen. Mine get to the 50% level and that when it starts. I will check out the time and watch that and see what kind of results I get on that. I don’t think it is 24 hrs due to fact that I don’t idle much. And I’ve had it regen a little over 100 miles.

Mine is the same as Flan’s i cant remember where I read it but it said the computer is programmed to regen every 24 hrs (drive and idle time combined) it doesn’t matter what level my filter is it goes into regen regardless but I’ve never had it regen more than every 24 hrs

Last edited:

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
I do 85% highway driving and never seen my DPF gauge move. However I agree with those above me that it’s every 24 hours on the dot. I was finally able to see it go into regen the other day.

flan

Reaction score
My Dpf gage has yet to move, that being said I’m either towing my camper or driving state roads without much stop and go. I will barely ever idle as well, except for a few mins while towing to give the turbo a chance to cool down.

Phil T

Reaction score
I actually need mine to go into regen in order to get emissions monitors ready for smog. I have tried everything I could find on the drive cycle procedures to get the monitors into a ready state. In addition, my dpf gauge never moves from zero. This truck is two years old with only 3300 miles on it. It is NOT a daily driver but only used to pull our travel trailer or to pick up large items that would not fit in our cars.

I guess one man's wish is another man's reality.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Drinks def when towing, no? Mine never moved until towing a 7k trailer. Then I could watch the needle move at about same speed as fuel..

flan

Reaction score
DEF usage is relevant to amount of fuel being used. 3% DEF to fuel ratio is a common number thrown around.

ST3500

Reaction score
I use a full tank of DEF on an average of 3,500 to 4,000 miles.
I commute to work 50 miles away from home, without towing or carrying any heavy payload.
My commute consists of 5 miles of urban driving, followed by 40 miles of hilly highway (average 70 to 80 miles per hour) and another 5 miles of city driving to get to my shop.
My truck never went once into regen, my diesel particulate filter gauge sits always at the 0 % mark.
I don't let my engine idle unnecessarily (unless stuck in traffic, obviously).
I don't "warm up" my engine in the morning, I hate to disturb my neighbors at 5 AM ( I live in NorCal, no extreme cold weather in my area)
I don't let my truck "cool down idle" once I get to my destination, no use for it in my particular urban location.
When my truck was brand new: I did a reasonable "break-in period" for the first 2,500 miles, during that time the DEF gauge hardly moved. Progressively I started driving it at about the same pace as everyone else does around here and consequently my DEF usage has increased (how slow can you drive when you have 1,000 ft. lb. of torque available ?... lol )

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had my EVIC on the DPF gauge for about a week and it jumped from 0 to around 20% at some point. Apparently I haven't been driving it aggressively enough because it went into active regen today on a drive back home from visiting a friend. The remainder of the drive, probably 15 minutes, taking a bit longer route even, didn't complete the regen.

I sat in the driveway and decided to see what TorquePro showed while it continued to display Active. Putting it into Park showed a message somethin to the effect that it would suspend the regen so I put it in Neutral. TorquePro thinks the DPF is still at 50% after the EVIC went down to ~10%. After a few more minutes, it threw a message that the regen was incomplete.

As to DEF. I was consistently getting 420-520 MPG running empty all winter and the last fil was down to 250MPG. The truck did get the latest flash 2 months ago so I'm a little concerned the flash may be responsible for the increased DEF usage. Lat summer, brand new, the truck was getting 350-400 MPG towing.

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
TO the OP, I think they might have flashed the ECU when they replaced the fuel pump and cleaned all the glitter out...
Disclammer: my truck has never been flashed with this VB6 recall, told them I'd be pretty pissed and would annoy the hell out of them if they did that with out my consent, and they didn't, I like the way it runs and want to keep it this way.
To the guy who sits in his running truck with AC running... Of course that will affect the regens.
I Only have 10,000 kms on my truck and half of them were puling a TT. When I pull, I don't see it regens, DPF just stays ar zero. When I don't pull, the DPF starts plugging up and I see some passive and active regens in actions but nothing like 24hrs or anything like that. Didn't try to clock it but it's definitely not by the hrs.
Towing under load works the engine harder and it just runs hotter and doesn't plug up.
And my personal opinion of DEF consumption: the more it takes, the better for the engine. The more you work it > the hotter it runs > the less EGR use > the less soot back into the intake > the more UREA to neutralize the NOx > good thing
I'd rather use more synthetic piss than worry about DPF pluggin up and needing to replace it.

Reaction score
Another Regen complaint here. 2021 3500 SO SRW. Just drove about 300 miles round trip, got 18.8 MPG's, and was very impressed.
I left the DPF screen up on the EVIC, and it showed 0% the whole time. Well, all of a sudden it goes into Regen mode while driving through town. But the DPF restriction just prior was at 0%.
Why would it Regen if there's no differential pressure across the DPF?

Also it killed my MPG average, knocking it down to 17... Any thoughts?

Andrew5415

Reaction score
Another Regen complaint here. 2021 3500 SO SRW. Just drove about 300 miles round trip, got 18.8 MPG's, and was very impressed.
I left the DPF screen up on the EVIC, and it showed 0% the whole time. Well, all of a sudden it goes into Regen mode while driving through town. But the DPF restriction just prior was at 0%.

Check your engine hours and see if it’s at a 24 hour interval, my DPF screen has never left 0% but I saw somewhere that the computer is programmed to regen in 24 hr intervals and so far that has been true. It regened at 24 hrs about 2 weeks ago and then just regened yesterday at 48 hrs.

Reaction score
Check your engine hours and see if it’s at a 24 hour interval, my DPF screen has never left 0% but I saw somewhere that the computer is programmed to regen in 24 hr intervals and so far that has been true. It regened at 24 hrs about 2 weeks ago and then just regened yesterday at 48 hrs.
Ok I'll check that. Thanks

Andrew5415

Reaction score
Ok I'll check that. Thanks
No problem, as for mpg that just depends on how much your in the gas during the regen. My first regen I lost 1.5 mpg driving in a hilly area but my one yesterday only lost 0.3 on flat ground

Reaction score
No problem, as for mpg that just depends on how much your in the gas during the regen. My first regen I lost 1.5 mpg driving in a hilly area but my one yesterday only lost 0.3 on flat ground
Ok makes sense. So reading through the owners manual again I'm now understanding this more.

The DPF gauge is there for if you're doing a lot of driving in town. It will slowly fill up, and once it gets high enough it tells you to drive at highway speeds to clear the filter. That's why mine stays at zero, because I'm always on the highway.

The 24 hour Regen must be just maintenance to keep the filter clear.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Regen uses fuel to create high heat to burn off the soot. The soot that's unburnt fuel gets completely combusted, the ash that's left to accumulate in the DPF is metals and additives.

Reaction score
Regen uses fuel to create high heat to burn off the soot. The soot that's unburnt fuel gets completely combusted, the ash that's left to accumulate in the DPF is metals and additives.
Yeah. It burns off the spot causing high DPF restriction. I get that part

Users who are viewing this thread