Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little help determining how much trailer I can legally tow.

KingRanch27

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a bit of a towing newb, and need a little guidance.

I just purchased a 2024 RAM 3500 dually 6.7 SO truck, and I plan to use it (partially) to tow a gooseneck equipment trailer for our ranch. For context, the truck is NOT registered as a Texas Farm Truck, as I'll also be towing a 5th wheel across the country at some point.

That said, I am trying to determine how much trailer I can buy and still be legal as a non-CDL driver. As I understand it, the GVWR of the truck AND trailer cannot exceed 26,001lbs but the problem I'm (seemingly) running into is that really limits the size of gooseneck I can legally tow.

I can't even find a GVWR rating on the doorjam stickers (just payload, which is 4939lbs), but with this being a DRW truck I'm left to assume it's probably 14,000lbs GVRW. That would seemingly limit me to a 12,000lb GVRW trailer which really won't haul much in terms of equipment (i.e. if I wanted to tow a heavier skid steer).

Am I missing something here? I see duallys towing 30-40ft goosenecks all the time, and there's no way all of them are hot shot drivers.

tl;dr - New dually truck, and need help determining how big of a GVWR trailer I can legally put behind this thing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
GVWR will be listed on the door sticker with VIN, and axle weight ratings. It’s not listed on the sticker with payload.

What you can legally tow will vary state to state for non-commercial and commercial, even RV rules are different.

For example I’m registered non-commercial to 26K GCW, the GVWR of the truck and trailer don’t matter as long as I’m within axle/tire ratings. If I’m towing my RV I am not limited to 26K, just the axle/tire limits of both trucks.

Bottom line, your registration and state laws are what matter for non-commercial and RV, with commercial you’ll have to figure in federal rules too.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If your payload is 5k lbs then the trucks curb weight is 9k lbs which means your trailer with equipment on it has to be under 17k lbs if you want to stay under 26k lbs gross combined

KingRanch27

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I appreciate the responses.

I did a little more research overnight, and I think I'm going to need a Texas non-commercial Class A license (I currently have a class C). to legally tow any configuration where the combined truck/trailer combined GVWR exceeds 26,001 lbs.

I don't believe this is heavily enforced because I see a LOT of guys in duallys (so assumedly 14k GVWR) pulling tandem 7500llb axle trailers.

Time to get studying. :)

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I don't believe this is heavily enforced because I see a LOT of guys in duallys (so assumedly 14k GVWR) pulling tandem 7500llb axle trailers.

Many rural locales, not heavily enforced. Some State Patrols really get busy with it on the Interstates. That said, even if "not enforced" if you are in an accident and braking is any issue at all, you might get into the weeds with insurance. I work (professionally) accident reconstruction and I've seen many cases, work comp as well as private, where the insurance carrier denied, or reduced claims due to contributory negligence for being over ratings, improper license, etc. I add stuff up and if I have a question, I'll even request scale weights...those go in the report.

KingRanch27

Reaction score
Many rural locales, not heavily enforced. Some State Patrols really get busy with it on the Interstates. That said, even if "not enforced" if you are in an accident and braking is any issue at all, you might get into the weeds with insurance. I work (professionally) accident reconstruction and I've seen many cases, work comp as well as private, where the insurance carrier denied, or reduced claims due to contributory negligence for being over ratings, improper license, etc. I add stuff up and if I have a question, I'll even request scale weights...those go in the report.

Yep. I agree with you. I'm getting the license ASAP. We really don't have much police presence around our ranch, except state troopers who are always stopping big trucks.

I'm just saying, since looking into this it's become very clear that most every landscape company pulling a skid steer or mini-ex around town is more than likely breaking the law. Arguably doing it for commercial purposes too....

JD2510

Reaction score
Commercial Vehicle rules weight, license, hours of service etc were designed to be the same in all 50 states. However with that being said they are not interpreted the same way or enforced the same way and change from year to year state to state. If you are not making money with the vehicle then it’s not considered a commercial vehicle. I have a friend that has a semi that he hauls his pulling tractors with it’s licensed as an RV No CDL required. I have a roll back truck with a regular car license plate issued by county clerk CMV officer looked at the place and waved me on thru the scales. What works in Texas might not pass in the other 49 states. Just tell the person that stops you and asked question your rig is for personal use and not as a business making money, you not a hot shot driver.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
There are differences in how various states treat noncommercial truck/trailer combinations over 26,000 lbs. Many do not require a special license if the use is purely personal, i.e. noncommerical. Others, like Texas and Nevada, do require a special license category, even for personal use over 26K. The general rule is that the licensing requirements in the state of issue apply, no matter where you are. For example, Washington does not require a special license for personal use over 26K. A Washington licensed driver could legally pull that combo in Texas or Neveda. I called the Nevada State Patrol to confirm this. He confirmed but said that it might be a good idea to carry a printout of the issuing state’s licensing law to show a trooper if stopped in Neveda.

As it turned out, I did get stopped in Nevada. I picked up a new RV in Primm, NV and was pulling it back to Washington. I had a Washington DL, a truck with Montana plates, and an RV with no plates. It was about midnight in the Middle of Nowhere, NV. As soon as I showed him the Bill of Sale he was OK. He never did ask about the weight. I would have been just a hair under 26K at the time.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There are differences in how various states treat noncommercial truck/trailer combinations over 26,000 lbs. Many do not require a special license if the use is purely personal, i.e. noncommerical. Others, like Texas and Nevada, do require a special license category, even for personal use over 26K. The general rule is that the licensing requirements in the state of issue apply, no matter where you are. For example, Washington does not require a special license for personal use over 26K. A Washington licensed driver could legally pull that combo in Texas or Neveda. I called the Nevada State Patrol to confirm this. He confirmed but said that it might be a good idea to carry a printout of the issuing state’s licensing law to show a trooper if stopped in Neveda.

As it turned out, I did get stopped in Nevada. I picked up a new RV in Primm, NV and was pulling it back to Washington. I had a Washington DL, a truck with Montana plates, and an RV with no plates. It was about midnight in the Middle of Nowhere, NV. As soon as I showed him the Bill of Sale he was OK. He never did ask about the weight. I would have been just a hair under 26K at the time.

I'd add (because I do so) that while reciprocity holds true for DL, it does not for some state level trailering regs, specifically double towing.

There is zero reciprocity on state RV towing laws. My Colorado legal RV rig as shown in my sig isn't "technically" legal in any other state that has a shorter length or doesn't allow doubles. Now, the likelihood of being hassled is near zero in any state that allows doubles regardless of length and MANY of us tow over the legal length. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it's rare anyone is bothered. At fault accident? Possibly an insurance coverage issue, but more likely only a civil issue unless there's serious bodily injury or death. I mean, carriers cover for at fault in a DUI right? Of course, you're going to get dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread