Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigating in your Ram

What is your favorite method of navigation in your truck?

• TomTom

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Waze

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Apple maps

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Google maps

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Everybody already tells me where to go, don't need it from my truck too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

wrvond

Reaction score
I've tried Waze, Apple maps and TomTom. I think each of the three has it's own drawbacks and none seem to really outshine the others. This version of TomTom is markedly better than the "suction cup to your windshield" device I used ten years ago but I need to spend more time with it before I can decide whether I really like it or not. On my past Ford I was able to use Forscan (similar to AlfaOBD) to enable navigation in motion on the native navigation app which was a great mod that I am really missing. I've used Google maps with Sync 3 and it worked really well. I haven't tried it yet on the uConnect.
So what is your favorite navigation tool? What do you see as it's strength(s) and it's weakness(e)?

**Notes**
This poll pertains to navigation apps that interface/display on the uConnect display. If I have overlooked an app that can be used in this way, please mark "other" and tell us about it.
Navigational aids such as The Trucker's Road Atlas and Garmin for RVs could also be marked as "other" even though they are actually stand alone devices.
The poll will allow you to make up to two choices. Please explain further in the thread.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Apple play google maps. 8.4 uconnect 2019 truck. Works for me don’t have much to complain about or comment on.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I have A/B the built n nav and waze at the same time on a few long trips, both have pros and cons but I found waze to be a bit better navigating, it shoes you the speed limit and how fast you are going and you can’t beat the police/ speed cam alerts. Saved my ass a few times..

kevin588127

Reaction score
Google maps with Android auto works well for me. A little glitchy at times. It works really well for finding fuel or restaurants on the fly.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Whatever it is that’s on there when I start the truck. What is it?…because I don’t know.
It knows most of the routes off road better than that of my previous Ford and compliments my paper maps (which are ultimately dependable and used most) well, although it doesn’t leave breadcrumbs when on the unknown two tracks.
Around town, I talk to my phone and Siri does her stuff on it…

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I do have the Naviks box so can use the native nav while in motion, but I typically rely on Waze, as it usually understands me, unlike so many other IVR systems.

techman

Reaction score
AA and GM for me....BUT occasionally I will use a good old fashion paper map like AAA provides. Certainly not when driving, but there is something retro-cool about unfurling one of those big maps and laying on the truck tail gate or center console and actually tactically following the route you plan on taking. And unlike most Millennial’s, I can refold it in seconds.

Why? Probably becuase I still use paper navigational charts on my boat too. It's great to have electronics. but I am a firm believer in being able to "hand fly" in a pinch if I needed to.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I run what is in the truck. I use Waze on my wife's phone set up on the dash since if I used my own phone which is paired with the truck, everytime there is a notification on Waze the phone screen pops up on the truck and I have to manually take it back to the map. Might be a setting somewhere to prevent that but in two years I have not found it. So my wife's Waze warns of obstructions ahead,etc and I have my 12 inch screen for nav. I also found Waze is not the best when pulling a trailer. It wants the shortest route come hell or high water.

bbritt18

Reaction score
I received an email from Ram that an updated map was available for my 2021 truck at $149.00. Why would I spend that for an update when I can use all the free map apps that are update constantly. If this was $20 or $30 I might think about it.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I received an email from Ram that an updated map was available for my 2021 truck at $149.00. Why would I spend that for an update when I can use all the free map apps that are update constantly. If this was $20 or $30 I might think about it.
I will wait another two years. The are redoing all the major roads going to and from the new bridge they are building between Windsor and Detroit. I live about four miles from the construction. Besides that, there could not be much of a change in the past two years. I agree, 150 bucks is expensive.

Razzman

Reaction score
I use the on-board nav, although I did have a few glitches nothing major. Updated to the latest maps and now seems pretty solid. Wife does use Google maps while we're traveling as a backup but no issues.

unclelala

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a specific date or pattern to when they update the maps being Garmin or Ram?

Gadgetech

Reaction score
I primarily use Waze to spot police, speed or traffic light cameras.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Waze most the time.

I’d gladly pay Garmin a small monthly fee for an app that works with CarPlay, but they don’t do that anymore and I’m not wanting to have a stand alone gps on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread