Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My station switched to a Biodiesel blend greater than 20%.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have been fueling at my local 76 station for many years now. I went to fuel up yesterday and they have switched to a "green" blend of biodiesel. It said the blend exceeded 20% biodiesel. I put my cap back on and left. I don't want any reason for a warranty failure being denied (manual excerpt below). Especially with having a CP$ in my truck. Seems they will be limiting who can fuel there now. I was dropping $300 - $500 a month there.

Biodiesel fuel has inherent
limitations which require that you understand
and adhere to the following requirements if you
use blends of biodiesel greater then 5% but not
greater than 20% (B6-B20). There are no
unique restrictions for the use of B5. Use of
blends greater than 20% is not approved. Use of
blends greater than 20% can result in engine
damage. Such damage is not covered by the
New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Will_T

Reaction score
Hopefully they had a big notification sign? That is something I would easily miss if not thinking of it at the time.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hopefully they had a big notification sign? That is something I would easily miss if not thinking of it at the time.

It was on the pump but nowhere else I saw. The sign was boasting about their new "Green" fuel. I was about to insert my card. Surprised I read it.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I should have taken a picture of the pump. I didn't want to unplug it from the truck though. LOL

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with biodiesel. We ran it in the gas turbine engines on our ship. After running a full tank, they scoped the engines. Everything looked normal. No wear. Engines ran the same. Got the same results as regular DFM.

Also heard of a guy that ran frying oil from McDs. Scoped the engine and it was cleaner than when he started after running regular diesel for years.

So not sure what Rams problem with it is.

The1adman

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with biodiesel. We ran it in the gas turbine engines on our ship. After running a full tank, they scoped the engines. Everything looked normal. No wear. Engines ran the same. Got the same results as regular DFM.

Also heard of a guy that ran frying oil from McDs. Scoped the engine and it was cleaner than when he started after running regular diesel for years.

Emissions equipment.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
I fueled up on that stuff at my local 76. I got 3 mpg less for that tank. Also had noticeably less power. Never again! The sign on the pump was about 2" square.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Cummins also specifies no more than 20% BIO.

The fuel and emissions systems aren't designed to manage high bio fuel.

flan

Reaction score
I read higher than 20% would risk Polymerization of the fuel due to the high injection pressures if I recall correctly

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Cummins also specifies a shorter oil change interval if using B20 citing increased oil dilution.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I pulled into a Loves truck stop in Amarillo TX, started pumping Diesel on the auto side of the pumps with my 5ver when I saw 20% biodiesel. I stopped pumping with 15 gallons already pumped. I looked at the other pumps and saw 15% on another pump. I refueled when a Chevron came into view (Just before the Oklahoma boarder) and refueled with their Diesel. I also stopped at a truck stop (Don't remember where.) with a Shell signed advertised at the auto side pumps. After pumping a full tank I saw a disclaimer that that the Diesel was not a Shell product and no warranties implied with the fuel. Went to get a receipt, because the pump wouldn't print one, and was told their system was not tied to the auto pumps for receipt printing capability. I had them write out a hand written receipt, they weren't happy but complied with my request. From this point on I read all pumps Info BEFORE I pump. With Ram just itching to claim fuel issue, I'm very careful. I keep all receipts, use a credit card and log all the info into a log book, which I highly recommend.

Markposen304

Reaction score
We had issues with switching from conventional diesel to bio in our fire engines… and particularly in our Ford medic units. It would jell either in the fuel lines or injectors. Less of an issue if we ran it from the beginning. Being a liberal city in the PNW, we run B20 exclusively now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread