Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Order and Purchase from Tuttle-Click Ram in Irvine California

Reaction score
This is a report on my experience in ordering and purchasing a new 2023 Ram Laramie 2500 at Tuttle-Click Ram in Irvine, California. In March of 2023, I came across a post on one of the Ram Forums that Tuttle-Click Ram was offering 4% below invoice on all new trucks. This was basically the same deal that Mark Dodge of Louisiana and Granger Motors of Iowa were offering their customers. Since I live in Northern California, it made more more sense to purchase from TC, than traveling 1,800 miles to Granger or the 2,200 miles to Mark Dodge. Besides the distance involved, TC would handle the tax and license, since they also reside in California. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Granger and MD make you pay the tax and obtain your license when you return to your home state. Another plus was TC only charged $85.00 for their doc fee. Other dealers can charge into the hundreds for the same doc fee.

I exchanged a few emails and texts, as well as a phone call or two with Ron Trachtman, the Fleet/Internet Manager. After discussing my build and the price of the vehicle, Ron sent me the order form to inspect. Everything looked good and i sent him my $1,000.00 deposit via their secure online form. The truck was built within 3 weeks of my order. Unfortunately, due to the lack of rail cars for delivery, the truck sat at the Saltillo plant for the better part of the summer. The truck finally arrived at the dealership the last week of July.

The first week of August I boarded my flight from Sacramento to John Wayne International Airport in Orange County. Taking the morning flight ✈️ allowed me to arrive slightly after 10:00AM. After some confusion as to where I was to go to pick up the Lyft Ron had sent for me, I found my ride and headed out for the short 15 minute drive to the dealership. TC is located right off Interstate 5, the main artery between Southern and Northern California.

I met Ron out in his portable trailer on the side of dealership. We proceeded to his office, where we went over paperwork and registered me for my $500 Tread Lightly discount. I had purchased a $100 membership months earlier, but failed to do the proper paperwork that would allow me an additional $500 off the purchase of my truck. After 20 minutes or so we headed over to the main building. Ron went to look for the sales manager, but it seemed he had already gone to lunch. Ron offered me some refreshments and left me in the customer lounge. Forty minutes later I was ushered into the sales manager’s office.

There was no apology for keeping me waiting forty minutes. Instead, the sales manager immediately went into his sales pitch about the different warranties and Mopar contracts available. I understand it‘s his job to try and sell me a warranty, but the way he went about it seemed odd. He made it sound that the vehicle was unreliable and once something went wrong, I would be stuck with a huge bill. In other words, he tried to scare me into purchasing a warranty. A better approach might have been to connect a warranty to auto, home and health insurance. You don’t expect to get into an accident with your car or truck . You don’t expect for your house to burn down or get damaged in a storm. You don’t expect to have a major health episode. But that’s why there’s insurance. It simply protects us when the unexpected happens. The same can be said about having a good warranty. And there are no better warranties than Mopar. He should have built up Ram trucks by saying, he believes Ram trucks are the best built trucks on the market. But like so many things in life, the unexpected can happen.

I politely declined every offer he made me. I proceeded to initial and sign multiple documents over the course of the next 30 minutes. Suddenly, out of the blue, he made a very rude remark. He shuffled through some papers and commented, “how much did you pay for this anyway.” He looked down on the purchase agreement, frowned and remarked, “not bad but I’ve seen a lot better.” Why in the world would this guy make a snarky remark like that to me? Was he frustrated and pissed that I didn’t purchase any of the warranties and repair policies he offered me? In any case, I was happy when our conversation ended and walked out of his office.

As I walked out of the main building, I could see Ron putting on the rear temporary license plate. I looked over the truck, as he finished up putting the front temp license plate on. We sat in the truck, as Ron went over some of the operational features. It was already 1:40 and Ron knew I had a long 500 mile trip home in front of me. We shook hands and I proceeded to cautiously drive my new truck out of the dealership. Not sure if other dealers do the same, but Ron had filled the truck with Chevron Unleaded.

I made my way onto Interstate 5. The traffic was horrendous! It took me two hours to make my way the 60 miles from Irvine to Santa Clarita. Once over the Grapevine, I settled in for the tiresome drive through the San Joaquin Valley. It would be an understatement to say the highway was badly in need of repairs. The segment of highway from the Grapevine to highway 152 was completed in 1972. At that time there were two lanes in each direction. That was 51 years ago! And there are still only two lanes in each direction! Instead of sending billions of our tax dollars to a corrupt government in northeastern Europe, those dollars could be used to repair and update our highways and infrastructure.

I made a stop in Santa Nella to get gas and visit my favorite Mexican fast food joint, Del Taco . Ordered a Macho Burrito , which is now called an Epic Combo Burrito, due to political correctness. Got home at 11:30 and celebrated with a good brew and cigar! Yes, us Lutherans love a good brew and cigar!

jebruns

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Granger and MD make you pay the tax and obtain your license when you return to your home state.
Correct. But that's generally the way it works at dealerships in my home state anyway.
Another plus was TC only charged $85.00 for their doc fee. Other dealers can charge into the hundreds for the same doc fee.
Yep, some of them hit you hard on the doc fees. Granger was $180 for doc fees on my '22.

Congrats on the new truck!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Correct. But that's generally the way it works at dealerships in my home state anyway.

Yep, some of them hit you hard on the doc fees. Granger was $180 for doc fees on my '22.

Congrats on the new truck!
Congrats on the truck it sounds like overall a great experience!
MARK DODGE handles TTL in all 50 states. The only time we do not is if a customer is paying for the vehicle in-full, as opposed to financing (loan or lease) any part of it.

Reaction score
MARK DODGE handles TTL in all 50 states. The only time we do not is if a customer is paying for the vehicle in-full, as opposed to financing (loan or lease) any part of it.
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I had contacted Koons earlier this year when they were offering 6% below invoice at one point. They wouldn’t take my order because California was one of four states where they declined to do the TTL.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I had contacted Koons earlier this year when they were offering 6% below invoice at one point. They wouldn’t take my order because California was one of four states where they declined to do the TTL.
LOL yes we actually use a service provider for California and I think a few other states - some get really complicated.

flan

Reaction score
I’m from out of state and bought my Durango from Mark Dodge in June, paid in full and you guys handled TTL. Is this something new you guys just started?

dmhines

Reaction score
I bought from Granger. Flew in and drove it home to Florida. Granger sent me title documents in about 2 weeks after purchase. I took that to Florida DMV, paid Florida sales tax, and registered and titled it in Florida. It was very easy. I paid no tax to Iowa.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m from out of state and bought my Durango from Mark Dodge in June, paid in full and you guys handled TTL. Is this something new you guys just started?
We CAN do it for all. The only ones that we allow to do their own (by way of the lenders) is those that pay in full.
Lenders don't want unregistered untaxed vehicles running around... flight risk and they're on the hook.

Paid in full can go either way.

Reaction score
I bought from Granger. Flew in and drove it home to Florida. Granger sent me title documents in about 2 weeks after purchase. I took that to Florida DMV, paid Florida sales tax, and registered and titled it in Florida. It was very easy. I paid no tax to Iowa.
More power to you! Our DMV here in California sucks. Long lines and crowded waiting areas. I haven’t been in a DMV office for years. I pay my yearly vehicle registration fees at my local AAA office. I’m in and out in less than ten minutes.

flan

Reaction score
We CAN do it for all. The only ones that we allow to do their own (by way of the lenders) is those that pay in full.
Lenders don't want unregistered untaxed vehicles running around... flight risk and they're on the hook.

Paid in full can go either way.
Ok, to me your previous post made it look like you guys wouldn’t offer it to paid in full buyers. Wouldn’t want anyone to get confused as I was.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
More power to you! Our DMV here in California sucks. Long lines and crowded waiting areas. I haven’t been in a DMV office for years. I pay my yearly vehicle registration fees at my local AAA office. I’m in and out in less than ten minutes.
I agree with DMV here in California in most locations suck. I do it quicker in less than 5 minutes. Pay online my registration.

Drew M

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck from Granger in Feb. I didn't pay taxes in IA. I did pay my state (MO) taxes when I registered two weeks later after receiving all may paperwork.

RichM752

Reaction score
I live in California, and dealt with Mark Dodge.
It was a painless experience. Truck was on their lot 50 days after I placed the order.
Even after paying $1600 to have truck shipped to Sacramento, I still saved 3k over any deal I could have made on the west coast.
Dealing with the DMV is not a problem for me. Although writing the check for the tax and license was most painful.

jebruns

Reaction score
More power to you! Our DMV here in California sucks. Long lines and crowded waiting areas. I haven’t been in a DMV office for years.
Here in backwoods Arkansas, I am able to do all that stuff online with the state DMV.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Im in SoCal, ordered/bought my 2021 from a dealer in metro Seattle WA for $14k under MSRP which was maybe 5 or 6% below invoice. They were great to deal with. 0 issues whatsoever. At the time I ordered, no one was doing was Tuttle Creek sounds like they're now doing.

My family of 6 flew up north --one way tickets-- and drove the big girl back down south. As mentioned earlier, it's about the journey! Good times.

daemonic3

Reaction score
Hello all, I see this thread is months old now, but I see 2 fellow Sacramentans on here that didn't order locally from NoCal. Had you already tried Hoblit in Woodland or Elk Grove? I have a control number to start at preferred pricing (1% below invoice) but if I can get 4% below invoice in Irvine that is tempting. My friend runs sales department in Elk Grove and I'm working with his fleet manager to get the best I can but if I had somewhere that Tuttle is offering 4% below then I can at least see if they can match.

5Willy2

Reaction score
Went to Tuttle Click aa couple years back when I was shopping for my 2022 2500, spoke with a salesman in the showroom inquiring about the price and availability etc....., he told me they were NOT building anymore 6.7 2500's??? I laughed at him and told them RAM was still building the truck.

Needless to say I left and ordered from another dealer 2 days later at a dealership in Costa Mesa, got a great deal from the fleet guy. Was honest, great communication and NO pressure buying the junk add ons.

The service dept. mechanics is another story

Enjoy the suds and cigar.

daemonic3

Reaction score
I'm with you 100% it is not always just the dealership - the experience can vary wildly depending on whom you worked with. Had this happen to me with a dealer I used in 2017 with a great experience, then again in 2021 they were horrible.
So I'm waiting for a call back from Tuttle to hear whether they really can protect order-time incentives (as stated in their FAQ) and whether they are still offering below invoice.

Reaction score
Hello all, I see this thread is months old now, but I see 2 fellow Sacramentans on here that didn't order locally from NoCal. Had you already tried Hoblit in Woodland or Elk Grove? I have a control number to start at preferred pricing (1% below invoice) but if I can get 4% below invoice in Irvine that is tempting. My friend runs sales department in Elk Grove and I'm working with his fleet manager to get the best I can but if I had somewhere that Tuttle is offering 4% below then I can at least see if they can match.
Hello Daemonic. I tried them all at the time (March 2023). Some dealers were asking over MSRP. On another Ram Forum I came across a post from Ron Trachtman, the Fleet Manager at Tuttle. He stated they were offering 4% under invoice. I called Tuttle, spoke with Ron and started the ordering process. If you contact him, tell him the guy from Chico with the 2023 Delmonico Red Pearl 2500 Laramie MegaCab referred you. Hope things work out well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread