Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My continuing air filter nightmare

R. Yates

Reaction score
Mostly a bitch post at this point. I replaced an air filter that was allegedly causing the engine light to come on. I put a Mopar filter in and the engine light stayed on and now the dealer is telling me that the filter can't have glue strips. The one I took out had no glue strips and worked fine for 16k + miles until they changed my fuel pump to the Cp3. They said the latest factory filter has no glue strips and the one I bought has been discontinued....arrgh. I'm still skeptical of the whole thing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well not all true…. The one with glue strips is the new one, but there is a Ram “Tech Tip” that states the 19+ CTD’s should use the older filter without glue strips.

You want the older 53034051AB for your truck. It shouldn’t throw codes.

Last edited:

R. Yates

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm waiting for them to give me the "right" part #. I'm thinking I might just ignore the light. The whole thing is ridiculous.
Well not all true…. The one with glue strips is the new one, but is a Ram “Tech Tip” that states the 19+ CTD’s should use the older filter without glue strips.

You want the older 53034051AB for your truck. It shouldn’t throw codes.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
53034051AB is the proper filter per the STAR tip and general consensus.

John Jensen

Reaction score
There's been several posts that the new trucks are shipping with the 53034051AB filter

R. Yates

Reaction score
There's been several posts that the new trucks are shipping with the 53034051AB filter
Thanks for the reply. That's the filter that my dealer told me was an aftermarket filter. I'm sure they never looked at it. Something is not right. I'm going to have them install what they think is the right filter and get out of the middle of it. I'm also going to start looking at gas engine trucks, this is BS. DPF problems, air filter problems, DEF problems, can't drive short trips, it's ridiculous.

Kingsfisherman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's the filter that my dealer told me was an aftermarket filter. I'm sure they never looked at it. Something is not right. I'm going to have them install what they think is the right filter and get out of the middle of it. I'm also going to start looking at gas engine trucks, this is BS. DPF problems, air filter problems, DEF problems, can't drive short trips, it's ridiculous.
I just had to pay $450 for the same issue, according to the dealer, the NAPA air filter I installed was said to have glue strips and caused a low boost code. Wasn't sure if this was a real issue or they want you to buy just their filters.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I just had to pay $450 for the same issue, according to the dealer, the NAPA air filter I installed was said to have glue strips and caused a low boost code. Wasn't sure if this was a real issue or they want you to buy just their filters.
A few days ago there was a post, can't remember what forum, that the Napa Gold 6930 is like the Mopar white filter. Not to be used in the 2019+. I don't know what color it is but it was previously reported to be ok for 2019+. The confusion made me take it off of my list.
This is my list:
Mopar AF53034051AB
Fleetguard AF27684 (Same as Wix per forum post)
Fram Extra Guard Air Filter CA10261 (made by Cummins per forum post)

Kingsfisherman

Reaction score
A few days ago there was a post, can't remember what forum, that the Napa Gold 6930 is like the Mopar white filter. Not to be used in the 2019+. I don't know what color it is but it was previously reported to be ok for 2019+. The confusion made me take it off of my list.
This is my list:
Mopar AF53034051AB
I looked on my service report and they installed the AA filter, does it have glue strips as well?

R. Yates

Reaction score
This is my list:
Mopar AF53034051AB
My dealer claims there is a new version of the .........AA filter, and that's what they used on my truck. (2020)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Too much airflow, check engine light. Not enough airflow, check engine light.

Shoulda bought a hemi!!

Users who are viewing this thread