Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My apologies if I don't belong

DuallyDean

Reaction score
I just joined this site looking for some info on AlfaOBD, but my truck is a 2018 3500 chassis/cab. If that makes me too old, please accept my apologies and an admin can get rid of this post.
I recently purchased the 2018 3500 chassis cab (Regular cab, 60" CA) and intend on constructing a 5th wheel hauler bed using wrecker body sides. This requires shortening the framerails behind the rear spring hangers and the elimination or modification of the 52 gallon fuel tank that sits aft of axle. If I eliminate it, one option is to buy a midship tank from Titan or Transfer Flow but neither manufacturer offers one with the same capacity. If I modify/construct a rear tank it, it will have a smaller capacity. On other forums, it appears no one has been successful in reprogramming the BCM to a different tank capacity so that the Distance to Empty calculation is reasonably accurate. On this site at least a couple people seem to indicate they were successful, but I note that they are working with 2019 or 2020 model year trucks. I also note that the posts on other sites are older than here, so I am wondering if how to successfully reprogram tank capacity is a recent "discovery" or if it is the result of OEM software changes from 2018 to 2019? Can anyone shed any light on this?
I actually did some bench testing of the fuel level sender, and the response is fairly linear (checking gauge reading at 1" travel increments, and verifying the DTE calculation at each point). So, a tank of equal volume to OEM with a consistent cross-section throughout it's height would still return relatively accurate calculations even if the overall shape of the tank was changed from a cube (stock rear tank) to a long rectangular shape (midship tank). The problem is I may not have enough room to make a tank that fits the available space that would hold 52 gallons; and as previously mentioned, no aftermarket tanks are that size either.
Hence, my extreme interest in finding out for sure if a 2018 can be reprogrammed for a different tank size. Thanks in advance for any info.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
We are for all generation of RAM trucks. From 1981 to 2021and beyond. Just know that most members here are currently mostly here for the 2019+ trucks.

I have noticed we have alot of modifiers and craftsman here. So you are in good hands.

Plenty of us have owned all generations though so someone will be along to help.

I would if I could...but I do not know much about the alfaobd and have not done much with extea fuel capacity.

DuallyDean

Reaction score
Glad to hear! Thank you for the welcome. I factory ordered a 1994 Dodge/Cummins 3500 Dually at the age of 25. I still have that truck. 214k miles and NO RUST (a major feat in Minnesota!...but I cheat, it goes into storage every winter). I also have a 1994 Dodge/Cummins 2500 with 410k on it that I retired in 2019 because the 2nd body was rusted out and the chassis is completely worn out. But that Cummins, which has had nothing but a water pump and both crank seals replaced, will fire right up after sitting for months at a time. :) I replaced it with a loaded 2018 Rebel 1500 as my daily driver. The 2018 Chassis Cab is going to take over towing duties from the 94 dually.
I am a machinist by trade, and a fairly good fabricator. I've talked to Titan about the fuel tank problem and they say they are planning to develop and offer a 52 gallon midship tank for the chassis/cabs, but the timeline is undetermined. I can certainly fabricate one, but it would be nice to know if someone has cracked the secret to getting the DTE to read accurate with other than stock tank sizes; as that opens up so many more options. This is something FCA really ought to address in their BCM firmware.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just joined this site looking for some info on AlfaOBD, but my truck is a 2018 3500 chassis/cab. If that makes me too old, please accept my apologies and an admin can get rid of this post.
I recently purchased the 2018 3500 chassis cab (Regular cab, 60" CA) and intend on constructing a 5th wheel hauler bed using wrecker body sides. This requires shortening the framerails behind the rear spring hangers and the elimination or modification of the 52 gallon fuel tank that sits aft of axle. If I eliminate it, one option is to buy a midship tank from Titan or Transfer Flow but neither manufacturer offers one with the same capacity. If I modify/construct a rear tank it, it will have a smaller capacity. On other forums, it appears no one has been successful in reprogramming the BCM to a different tank capacity so that the Distance to Empty calculation is reasonably accurate. On this site at least a couple people seem to indicate they were successful, but I note that they are working with 2019 or 2020 model year trucks. I also note that the posts on other sites are older than here, so I am wondering if how to successfully reprogram tank capacity is a recent "discovery" or if it is the result of OEM software changes from 2018 to 2019? Can anyone shed any light on this?
I actually did some bench testing of the fuel level sender, and the response is fairly linear (checking gauge reading at 1" travel increments, and verifying the DTE calculation at each point). So, a tank of equal volume to OEM with a consistent cross-section throughout it's height would still return relatively accurate calculations even if the overall shape of the tank was changed from a cube (stock rear tank) to a long rectangular shape (midship tank). The problem is I may not have enough room to make a tank that fits the available space that would hold 52 gallons; and as previously mentioned, no aftermarket tanks are that size either.
Hence, my extreme interest in finding out for sure if a 2018 can be reprogrammed for a different tank size. Thanks in advance for any info.

As DD indicated, everyone is welcome here regardless of MY or ownership.

Technically you posted in the 4.5 gen section but there's so little traffic in the 4th gen section we'll let you slide this time. ;-) Truth be told, anyone that looks at What's new or Latest activity will see posts regardless of where they were made.

Should be doable. Let me look in the Windows version of AlfaOBD and see if the DTE calc is in there for a 2018...

@Jimmy07 may know as well, he's the resident super-guru on AlfaOBD and elec/wiring mods.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The option is there in MY2018

VehConfig 3-Fuel Capacity (36-290 L)

Also seeing ECUConfig 4-Fuel Capacity 1 (0-254L)

I think this one is for dual tank CC trucks as there are also some options for 2 sending units.

It's been previously reported by someone that added a 52 gal tank that it would only accept 194 L max without causing errors (read zero).

Users who are viewing this thread