Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 6.4's oil life gauge is bonkers

ductape

Reaction score
What orifice does the oil life gauge pull its numbers from? It reads 85% but I have 7600 miles on the oil, what gives. If I followed it, the oil would be peanut butter by the time it's changed.

Do these trucks have one of those fancy oil conductivity checkers, or is the remaining life just a WAG?

Darmichar

Reaction score
What orifice does the oil life gauge pull its numbers from? It reads 85% but I have 7600 miles on the oil, what gives. If I followed it, the oil would be peanut butter by the time it's changed.

Do these trucks have one of those fancy oil conductivity checkers, or is the remaining life just a WAG?
The 'life' gauges are mileage based.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

You must run a ton of highway? But still something is up as it is should never allow you to get over 16,000 km (10k miles) though

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Not sure the true parameters. But my previous change I just did was putting me at 30% at about 5k. It was far enough for me.

I do a mix of mostly local 50-55 mph driving(rougher back roads) but mine does pull on the regular.

I liked the peanut butter statement lol. But in seriousness unless someone on the forum has real knowledge about how it should work and why yours would be letting this happen, I would be reaching out to dealership

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I used the oil life meter for the wifes '04 Chevy. never paid attention to how many miles between oil changes. 145K miles and she still runs good with no motor issues.

On my new '21 Power wagon, I went back to 5K mile oil changes. It's easier for me to remember and I can do my tire rotations at the same time.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have found that is easy to accidentally reset the oil life while toggling thru the evic screen. I literally just reset mine by accident the other day. hold the ▶︎ for a second and it resets

Last edited:

ductape

Reaction score
I have found that is easy to accidentally reset the oil life while toggling thru the evic screen. I literally just reset mine by accident the other day. hold the ▶︎ for a second and it resets
This must be it! I feel like I would have noticed that, but clearly not, since it's the only explanation. Thanks.

My local dealerships approach villainy, and it doesn't concern me enough to go that route.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Weird. Mine is at about 3k on this oil change and mine reads about 75% life left. It always gets changed early though. You must be really easy on it! As long as its working properly it takes into account many different parameters other than mileage to determine how much "life" is left.

Also I may just steal your peanut butter joke :D

BigJim

Reaction score
I just change mine every 5,000 miles regardless of how I've driven it. Seems like cheap insurance to put off rebuilding the engine as long as possible. That's got to be a huge cost! Plus I have trust issues with computers telling me when go to things! lol

bsan

Reaction score
My company bought 3 new 2500's, my rig was reading 0% oil life remaining at like 2800 miles. the other 2 reached zero % around 3k miles. That's alot of extreme cold temp idling all night/day etc.

What I found more concerning is the amount of oil every one of those trucks burned, each one burned nearly 3 qts a piece before the oil got changed at the 3k mile mark...

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I have 4800 miles on mine and it hasn’t burned 1 drop of oil. Still always on the full mark.

Pronto

Reaction score
From the owner's manual regarding the 6.4:

NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change
intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km),
12 months or 350 hours of engine run time,
whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine
run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet
customers

Users who are viewing this thread