Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 6.4L Hemi towing review

kxnate

Reaction score
First tow with the 6.4 Hemi today. Made about a 300 mile tow from Billings MT to the top of the Bighorn Mountains and back, pulling a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer. I don't know the exact weight, but I'm guessing about 8000lbs roughly. For those that don't know the area, lots of hills all the way to the base of the mountains, and then a steep mountain climb from about 3900ft to about 8000ft. Here's my takeaway.

1. The engine is more than capable
2. The transmission shifting under load is smooth as silk
3. Those 429 ponies are REALLY FREAKING THIRSTY!!!
4. HOLY CRAP THOSE RPM's!!!

kxnate

Reaction score
Yeah, I ran 75 for the first 50 miles out of Billings, then dropped it back to 70. Got fuel at a town at the base of the mountains before going up the mountain about 120 miles in. Computer showed 6.4mpg average at that point, calculater said 5.85mpg. Ouch, hope the mpg's pick up a little once it's more broke in.

D

Deleted member 80

I pull at 65, so that helped a bit when I had my 6.4, but other than that my MPG didn't improve with miles. The six speed was nowhere near as smooth as your 8 speed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran 75 for the first 50 miles out of Billings, then dropped it back to 70. Got fuel at a town at the base of the mountains before going up the mountain about 120 miles in. Computer showed 6.4mpg average at that point, calculater said 5.85mpg. Ouch, hope the mpg's pick up a little once it's more broke in.
Keep it 60-65 you will see a huge difference in millage

D

Deleted member 80

With the toy hauler loaded up I went across the scales at a bit over 23K, and the 6.4 averaged 7.5-8.5 MPG. Add in lots of long pulls, and I can see it dropping into the 6's pretty quick. Being a NA gasser, I could really feel it get wheezy at elevation.

kxnate

Reaction score
I towed across 80 mph Texas at 65. They can pass me all day long. Set the cruise, and relax.
It's not so bad on the interstate with a passing lane, but on the 2 lanes around here at least, you get traffic stacked up behind you and then people get stupid passing and pass when the shouldn't. We have a couple 2 lanes outside of Billings that are notorious for head ons from people passing when they shouldn't. Sometimes I wish they'd dial the speed limits back to 65.

D

Deleted member 80

It's not so bad on the interstate with a passing lane, but on the 2 lanes around here at least, you get traffic stacked up behind you and then people get stupid passing and pass when the shouldn't. We have a couple 2 lanes outside of Billings that are notorious for head ons from people passing when they shouldn't. Sometimes I wish they'd dial the speed limits back to 65.
65 won't fix it. We have some two lanes here posted 65, and there are fatal head-ons all the time from people making banzai passes. It's a shame, but you can't fix stupid.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Our interstate speed limit is 80 and 2 lanes are 70. I'll probably just keep it at 70 and live with the mileage.
Must be nice there is no limit above 60 where i am in the entire province and most roads if you get up to 80 your loosing your license and vehicle for a week lol

jadmt

Reaction score
people who do not live here do not understand..If you drive even only 5 or 10 over the speedlimit you get old ladies who flip you off lol. that is a grind to the top of the big horns. Is there still a pile of snow?

whitexc

Reaction score
Let's talk about the snowmobiling that was done once you got there! It's only gas lol.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread