Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2 month trip , will my 3500 Aisin make it?

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
We are on day 2 of our 2 month vacation to Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona and so far so good.
My truck is a 22 3500 DRW HO / Aisin and is part of the CSN 71a notice for the snap ring failure in the Aisin transmission, my dealer ordered the parts as soon as the CSN came out and i was told they were backordered with an estimated delivery date of October 18th but we have had this trip planned for a year and we couldn’t wait until the parts showed up…. Wouldn’t you know it the dealer called me today saying the parts are in and I’m 1000 miles into the trip…
Any way I am pulling a 2022 Alliance Valor 41V15 toy hauler with my Kawasaki KRX SxS and 2 E-bikes in the back, my gross weight is 30,860 lbs.
We got a late start from home and put in 260 miles yesterday, we drove 726 miles today and are currently stopped for the night in Iowa.
There are a lot of glitches with the truck but most everything worked…..
My truck had 16500 miles on it when we left home.

The trailer TPMS worked flawlessly once the truck recognized it but it seems to be getting better, sometimes you have to go to another trailer on the screen and switch back to get it to recognize but once it does all the sensors stayed connected.

The digital rear view mirror camera on the trailer worked most of the time but there is a connection problem in the bed and I had to work on that a bit.

The trailer surround camera system works ok but it would be nice if it was a little easier to access and the trailer camera would come on in reverse instead of the truck which just shows the front of my trailer, I may try the Naviks like I had on my 19 3500.

Other than the clunky shifting the Aisin is still holding on, it really does not like cruise control though, on the rolling hills through Missouri it would shift down to 5th and 4th on the up hills to maintain speed and downhill it would downshift to maintain a constant speed, I finally turned it off and just controlled the throttle and let it drop a couple mph uphill and gain a couple downhill and it would only occasionally shift to 5th uphill.

I have be holding the speed to around 65, strange thing is when I left home in WV with all the hills I got 8.5 mpg on the first tank, (50 gal) I had treated this tank with a quart of Hot Shot Secrets Diesel Extreme plus my normal 8oz of EDT & LX4 mixture, after that first tank I’m now down to 7 mpg… who knows crappy fuel I guess…

Attachments

• IMG_9606.jpeg
    IMG_9606.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9600.jpeg
    IMG_9600.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9592.jpeg
    IMG_9592.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9415.jpeg
    IMG_9415.jpeg
    851.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9414.jpeg
    IMG_9414.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Wow you are pulling a house, mileage seems about right. Good luck! Extreme test case for that suspect snap ring for sure.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We should add a poll.
We are on day 2 of our 2 month vacation to Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona and so far so good.
My truck is a 22 3500 DRW HO / Aisin and is part of the CSN 71a notice for the snap ring failure in the Aisin transmission, my dealer ordered the parts as soon as the CSN came out and i was told they were backordered with an estimated delivery date of October 18th but we have had this trip planned for a year and we couldn’t wait until the parts showed up…. Wouldn’t you know it the dealer called me today saying the parts are in and I’m 1000 miles into the trip…
Any way I am pulling a 2022 Alliance Valor 41V15 toy hauler with my Kawasaki KRX SxS and 2 E-bikes in the back, my gross weight is 30,860 lbs.
We got a late start from home and put in 260 miles yesterday, we drove 726 miles today and are currently stopped for the night in Iowa.

The trailer TPMS worked flawlessly once the truck recognized it but it seems to be getting better, sometimes you have to go to another trailer on the screen and switch back to get it to recognize but once it does all the sensors stayed connected.

The digital rear view mirror camera on the trailer worked most of the time but there is a connection problem in the bed and I had to work on that a bit.

The trailer surround camera system works ok but it would be nice if it was a little easier to access and the trailer camera would come on in reverse instead of the truck which just shows the front of my trailer, I may try the Naviks like I had on my 19 3500.

Other than the clunky shifting the Aisin is still holding on, it really does not like cruise control though, on the rolling hills through Missouri it would shift down to 5th and 4th on the up hills to maintain speed and downhill it would downshift to maintain a constant speed, I finally turned it off and just controlled the throttle and let it drop a couple mph uphill and gain a couple downhill and it would only occasionally shift to 5th uphill.

Fuel mileage sucks, I have be holding the speed to around 65, strange thing is when I left home in WV with all the hills I got 8.5 mpg on the first tank, (50 gal) I had treated this tank with a quart of Hot Shot Secrets Diesel Extreme plus my normal 8oz of EDT & LX4 mixture, after that first tank I’m now down to 7 mpg… who knows crappy fuel I guess…

"All the hills" are generally up AND down, fuel mileage is about right.

If you're travelling west, it's a constant climb up to the Continental Divide. Bucking a headwind and with that monster TH hooked, it's not gonna be great.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
We made it to Pinedale, WY
Truck did fine other than the little quirks mentioned above, we’re here for a week then heading to Moab.
Truck used 7.5 gal of DEF in 1400 miles, yes I still need to do the sensor recall as my truck was built without it if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_9612.jpeg
    IMG_9612.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9611.jpeg
    IMG_9611.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9613.jpeg
    IMG_9613.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9610.jpeg
    IMG_9610.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 59

gimmie11s

Reaction score
LOVE IT! 2 years ago we did a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and back from Southern California with our 5er... was the maiden tow with our '21 DRW HO... roughly 2700 miles round trip -- 5 RV parks, 8 states. Was a blast.

Take lots of pictures and enjoy your family!!

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Yes it really is a pain, this 2 month trip has been planned for a year and so far has been great I hate that in the back of my mind I’m worried of this thing letting me down and I’ll be stranded 2000 miles from home with a 44’ RV.
Hopefully it holds out until I’m at least headed back home.

jetrinka

Reaction score

I have be holding the speed to around 65, strange thing is when I left home in WV with all the hills I got 8.5 mpg on the first tank, (50 gal) I had treated this tank with a quart of Hot Shot Secrets Diesel Extreme plus my normal 8oz of EDT & LX4 mixture, after that first tank I’m now down to 7 mpg… who knows crappy fuel I guess…
Wow that trailer is a monster! Glad the trip is going OK so far!

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
It’s still doing good.
Pretty good mileage for a 22 3500 DRW with the HO cummins and Aisin 4:10 gears.
This was from Pinedale Wy, to Jackson Hole and through Grade Teton and all over Yellowstone and back, I was using a light foot, a lot of stop and go and average about 40 mph but was running 70 from Pinedale to Jackson it even did a regen during the day.
Of coarse it’s 8 mpg pulling the Toy Hauler

Attachments

• IMG_9699.jpeg
    IMG_9699.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 36

tchur1

Reaction score
It’s still doing good.
Pretty good mileage for a 22 3500 DRW with the HO cummins and Aisin 4:10 gears.
This was from Pinedale Wy, to Jackson Hole and through Grade Teton and all over Yellowstone and back, I was using a light foot, a lot of stop and go and average about 40 mph but was running 70 from Pinedale to Jackson it even did a regen during the day.
Of coarse it’s 8 mpg pulling the Toy Hauler
Am I crazy to think you're going to make it? I would like to think it would have failed at this point if it was going to. Fingers crossed you're good to go the rest of the way!

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I sure hope so, this will be the trucks 4th trip out west of over 4000 miles all pulling trailers and it’s been on an 800 mile trip pulling this trailer..
Trailering doesn’t seem to matter when the transmissions fail but most of them do fail with low mileage but a couple have made it more than I currently have… I’m currently at 19,144

Lettikka

Reaction score
Here is my $0.02. It looks to me like most of the snap rings fail with less than 8000 miles. I feel pretty confident that you have a well seated ring and are good to go. It was mentioned above but I will concur that it must not matter whether you are pulling or not based on the failure stats. We are leaving tomorrow, I got my snap ring replaced a couple of weeks ago at 8000 miles on the clock. The dealer told me that if I had made it that far there was a very good chance that there was nothing wrong with my snap ring and that proved to be correct.

DPeglow

Reaction score
Any details on this? I did about a 4k mile trip this summer. First couple travel days by the end of the day any bump would make the mirror flash disconnected. I messed with the connecter, o-rings, reseated the plug. The further we drove the more often it happened. I could just wiggle the connection at the bumper and make it disconnect. push left its good, push right disconnected.

Haven't had to chance to get to the dealership yet, but was curious what your issue and fix was.

Thanks!

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Any details on this? I did about a 4k mile trip this summer. First couple travel days by the end of the day any bump would make the mirror flash disconnected. I messed with the connecter, o-rings, reseated the plug. The further we drove the more often it happened. I could just wiggle the connection at the bumper and make it disconnect. push left its good, push right disconnected.

Haven't had to chance to get to the dealership yet, but was curious what your issue and fix was.

Thanks!
Pretty much the same, just have to wiggle it around and hope for the best

DPeglow

Reaction score
Pretty much the same, just have to wiggle it around and hope for the best
Mine got so bad by the end of the trip, I was turned it off because the flickering was more of a distraction than anything. Was hoping you had found a fix. I'll let you know what the dealership says when I get a chance to take mine in.

Users who are viewing this thread