Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

motor oil for 6.4 hemi 2019

mwh55

Reaction score
any ideas on oil and filter on a 2019 6.4 hemi thanks

D

Deleted member 80

I ran the SRT oil filter on my 6.4. The factory recommended PUP 0W40 is very good oil, and if you are fortunate to get a Hemi that doesn't tick it is a great choice. If you are unfortunate, like I was, and get a Hemi that ticks you can explore other brands, but the only oil that would keep mine quiet for an OCI was 5W40 Red Line.

BillnLA

Reaction score
Pennzoil Ultra 0-40 is the recommended oil I believe. At least that is what I used for first oil change Pic below is the item ( 7 qts and filter) ordered on Amazon. And I ordered oil through NAPA while they had it on sale. Not sure what else is available.

DODGE RAM 2500-5500 6.4L Full Synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil & Filter OEM MOPAR

This item DODGE RAM 2500-5500 6.4L Full Synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil & Filter OEM MOPAR

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'll be going with AMSoil and Wix as I've had with all my other vehicles.

Squatch

Reaction score
Im using PUP, easy enough to get on amazon. The mopar filters are garbage so i am getting Wix XP off rock auto for about $6 a piece.

MobyDick

Reaction score
Switched from Amsoil to PUP yesterday and I must say the 6.4 likes the PUP better. Now the mopar filter feels cheap compared to the Amsoil filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woody284

Reaction score
I just got my first oil change at the dealer. I assume they used PUP. My dad drives a Chevy but swears by Amsoil and says he gets better gas mileage with it compared to others.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I just got my first oil change at the dealer. I assume they used PUP. My dad drives a Chevy but swears by Amsoil and says he gets better gas mileage with it compared to others.

Mind if I ask what you paid for the oil change??

woody284

Reaction score
100 bucks with oil change and rotation. I pulled some coupons from the dealer / mopar website

jadmt

Reaction score
ouch, glad I can still change my own oil..more money to spend on gas :). Amazon prime day has a good sale on pennzoil 0-40.

woody284

Reaction score
I can change my own oil as well and will when my warranty expires. I like to do all maintenance at the dealer until then that way they have no argument. I also only put about 7,000 miles on my truck a year so the 100 bucks doesn’t kill me. Napa runs a good deal from time to time as well .

jadmt

Reaction score
Is it sad that I don’t even trust a dealer to do a simple oil change anymore?
X100. I know when I do it it is done right and there is no oil spilled. I have been changing my own oil on new vehicles since the 70's and never once had a warranty questioned. I keep a record and all receipts but not a single time have I been asked to produce them.

Squatch

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m just maintaining a binder of receipts with dates and mileage of my changes.

Jarred

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m just maintaining a binder of receipts with dates and mileage of my changes.
Be careful with those receipts, squatch. Some of them will fade over a few years, especially when exposed to some heat. I take a picture of each receipt, which automatically links to my cloud drive.

rktjr1

Reaction score
I ran the SRT oil filter on my 6.4. The factory recommended PUP 0W40 is very good oil, and if you are fortunate to get a Hemi that doesn't tick it is a great choice. If you are unfortunate, like I was, and get a Hemi that ticks you can explore other brands, but the only oil that would keep mine quiet for an OCI was 5W40 Red Line.
Did you try redline 0-40? I was wondering as I just purchased some to see how it does on my truck. What filter do you use with the redline oil?

D

Deleted member 80

Did you try redline 0-40? I was wondering as I just purchased some to see how it does on my truck. What filter do you use with the redline oil?
Yes, it quieted the tick, but it started to pick up again after @5K miles. The 5W stayed quiet longer. Not all Hemis act the same, and yours may do fine on the 0W.

rktjr1

Reaction score
Yes, it quieted the tick, but it started to pick up again after @5K miles. The 5W stayed quiet longer. Not all Hemis act the same, and yours may do fine on the 0W.
Thanks... How long do you get out of the 5w? What oil filter do you use?

D

Deleted member 80

Thanks... How long do you get out of the 5w? What oil filter do you use?
I have a dually Cummins now, as we had bought a toy hauler that was way beyond the 2500 ratings. Anyway, I generally ran to about 20% on the oil monitor, roughly 7-8K miles. I always ran the SRT filter.

Users who are viewing this thread