Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Air!! - Extreme Outback ExtremeFlow Belt Drive Compressor

2019_Ram

Reaction score
I've had a number of different electric compressors over the years and have always been frustrated with them. They've been slow, loud, and many didn't last long. So, I decided to do something different and get an engine driven one this time. I had considered the 12v Oasis compressor, but price and the difficulty of finding a mounting space lead my back to the Outback ExtremeFlow compressor. Compared to the electric compressors I have had, this is very quiet. It can barely be noticed over the idling engine.

I installed the Outback ExtremeFlow Belt Drive compressor nearly four months ago, but wanted to make sure I was happy with it before sharing my experience. I have only put about 2k miles on the setup, including a 1100 mile trip without issue, but I am very happy with it. The compressor itself has a total of about 40 minutes of runtime so far. The install wasn't too bad but took a couple of tries to get everything like it should be due to some small changes on the 2022 we weren't aware of.

I spoke with George at Extreme Outback and ordered their ExtremeFlow Belt Drive Compressor and Mounting Kit for the Ram. He was very helpful throughout the installation process. The mounting brackets were heavy duty, all the holes lined up, and belt was well aligned with the compressor. The unexpected issues were the need to extend the power steering pump supply line from the reservoir by 1.5 inched to clear the compressor, reroute a small PS return line to the reservoir to prevent rubbing, and getting a 132.5" belt. The belt originally sent in the kit was a 130.5", which was too short, even with the smaller idler pully sent for variations in prior years. So evidently, in 2022 there was another small change to the belt area, which caused a little grief. I had both intake and exhaust lines come directly out of the compressor without using the included right angle fitting to give more clearance around intake horn piping. The intake sucks filtered air from the factory air box, and the exhaust line runs to a 3 gallon tank under the driver's side door.

0-150 Compressor Performance with 3 Gallon Tank ( CFM was calculated over the 0-150psi range using the time, so it could be off )
  • Idle 43 seconds - Averaged about 5.7 cfm
  • 1100 rpm 34 seconds - Averaged about 7.2 cfm
  • 1500 rpm 29 seconds - Averaged about 9.2 cfm

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/belt-drive-compressor-mounting-kit/

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_230053341.jpg
    PXL_20220301_230053341.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 185
  • PXL_20220303_164700707.jpg
    PXL_20220303_164700707.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20220315_195453662.jpg
    PXL_20220315_195453662.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20220315_200808577.jpg
    PXL_20220315_200808577.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 181
  • PXL_20220315_200818409.jpg
    PXL_20220315_200818409.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 183

Darkone

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to hear some real world reviews from this compressor setup. The thought of just using the engine running (which you do with an electric anyways) has always made this option more appealing to me. The thing that always got me though was the short duty cycle, although it doesn’t seem like you will need it with the times your posted. I have quite a few questions so bare with me.

You routed the compressor intake to the factory intake, did you put any sort of pre filter on it or just run the hose into the side and leave it?

Do you feel the new belt routing leaves plenty of wrap on the power steering pump? The pictures look like it leaves less than 1/2 a wrap on the pulley. I don’t know how much wrap it has factory or how much difference it would really make.

Definitely keep us updated on how well you like the system over time and more pictures are always welcome.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Let's see if I am able to answer your questions without missing one @Darkone, no guarantees!

I will attach a picture below. There is a bulkhead fitting included in the kit with the intake hose, I drilled a hole in the factory air box for it, and used a dab of rtv to make sure it sealed well. The hole was drilled on the clean side, so you are getting filtered air and don't need to maintain another filter. This is the recommended installation by Extreme Outback, as it allows the compressor the ability to pull the coolest air in while running. The truck is running and already moving large amounts of cool air through there from outside the engine compartment.

I was initially concerned with the short duty cycle too, however, it doesn't pose that much of an issue. My primary use will be for topping off tires. It states a 5 minute on 10 off cycle time. I have exceeded that slightly, and when doing so, the compressor was well below it's 150psi cutoff. For example, I have an airline where I can fill 2 tires at once because the valve stem will otherwise become a restriction. As a test I filled the 4 truck tires (factory tires 275/70-18, I think). I started off with all the tires <10psi. The two rear tires took 5 minutes to hit 80psi at 1100 rpm. I then went directly to the front tires and it took about 3.75 minutes to hit 65 psi. So about 9 minutes of continuous operation. During this time the compressor was maintaining only a few psi above what was in the tires, which help it build less heat. If I was airing up a single tire, the compressor would maintain about 125psi in the tank/line while filling the tire due to the restriction of the valve stem, thus generating a bit more heat. Now, if I had a buddy that needed air also, I would probably give it 5-10 minutes rest before helping them.

I believe the power steering pump still has plenty of belt wrap on it, probably between 1/2 and 5/8 wrap on the pully. I haven't noticed any reduction in braking or steering, even when I've had to jump on the hard a couple of times.

If you have any specific questions or want any specific pictures, ask and I will try.

Attachments

• PXL_20220616_222221052.jpg
    PXL_20220616_222221052.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220616_222242542.jpg
    PXL_20220616_222242542.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72

2019_Ram

Reaction score
@Darkone the trucks with dual alts seem to have the same amount of belt wrap on the ps put as I do with the compressor. After seeing this picture, I don't think there would be any issues at all

1656455991457.png

2019_Ram

Reaction score
I had three tries before it was 100%. I would say if everything was perfect, I would have had it done in 3-4 hours taking my time. Keep in mind, this was installed in early March and was likely one of the first 2022 Rams it had been installed on.

First try - Got the brackets mounted and found out when test fitting the compressor I needed to lengthen the power steering return line. It was rubbing hard. Ordered some hose and barb to do that. Hardest part of this was getting to the bolts holding the power steering pump on. They had to be loosened to get all the bolts for the bracket in. Left the bracket in without the compressor installed, put every back together, and ran the truck like that for a week while waiting on parts.

Second try - Extended the power steering line and got the compressor mounted. Made a mess burping the silly power steering pump... Went to put the 130" belt on that came with the kit and couldn't get it to fit properly. It went on, but went over the new idler pulley instead of under. I put stuff back together and ran the truck like this for another week while waiting on parts. I also tested the compressor during this time and was happy with it's performance... I couldn't resist not at least trying it... Talked with George at Extreme Outback and he sent me a belt 132.5" long after we made sure I didn't mess up. Something small must have changed in the 2022 trucks that slightly altered the needed belt length.

Third try - I swapped out the belt with the new 132.5" one. It fit very well and went under the new idler pulley. The belt needed to be run one rib out on the compressor to line up better and that got rid of a slight chirp off idle.

So far I've been very happy with this setup. I like it much more than any electric setup I've had. And it's fast! I have the discharge routed along the driver's side frame, then over top of it around the first cab mount and to the tank under the driver's door. I mounted the hose to the bottom of the cab once it crossed the frame on its way to the tank. One unexpected side effect of mounting this to the bottom of the cab is the vibrations of the hose cause a light buzzing noise in the cab only while the compressor is running. I have not changed it because I instantly know when the compressor is running. I was going to wire in a light to let me know when the compressor was engaged, but I think I'm actually preferring the buzz. It gets my attention quicker.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I had three tries before it was 100%. I would say if everything was perfect, I would have had it done in 3-4 hours taking my time. Keep in mind, this was installed in early March and was likely one of the first 2022 Rams it had been installed on.

First try - Got the brackets mounted and found out when test fitting the compressor I needed to lengthen the power steering return line. It was rubbing hard. Ordered some hose and barb to do that. Hardest part of this was getting to the bolts holding the power steering pump on. They had to be loosened to get all the bolts for the bracket in. Left the bracket in without the compressor installed, put every back together, and ran the truck like that for a week while waiting on parts.

Second try - Extended the power steering line and got the compressor mounted. Made a mess burping the silly power steering pump... Went to put the 130" belt on that came with the kit and couldn't get it to fit properly. It went on, but went over the new idler pulley instead of under. I put stuff back together and ran the truck like this for another week while waiting on parts. I also tested the compressor during this time and was happy with it's performance... I couldn't resist not at least trying it... Talked with George at Extreme Outback and he sent me a belt 132.5" long after we made sure I didn't mess up. Something small must have changed in the 2022 trucks that slightly altered the needed belt length.

Third try - I swapped out the belt with the new 132.5" one. It fit very well and went under the new idler pulley. The belt needed to be run one rib out on the compressor to line up better and that got rid of a slight chirp off idle.

So far I've been very happy with this setup. I like it much more than any electric setup I've had. And it's fast! I have the discharge routed along the driver's side frame, then over top of it around the first cab mount and to the tank under the driver's door. I mounted the hose to the bottom of the cab once it crossed the frame on its way to the tank. One unexpected side effect of mounting this to the bottom of the cab is the vibrations of the hose cause a light buzzing noise in the cab only while the compressor is running. I have not changed it because I instantly know when the compressor is running. I was going to wire in a light to let me know when the compressor was engaged, but I think I'm actually preferring the buzz. It gets my attention quicker.
And... what are you using your air for?

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Primarily tires. Seems everytime I move shuffle trailers around, something needs air or is flat.

Last week the truck decided it wasn't getting enough attention...

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 29

rfullen280

Reaction score
More questions - so they say you pump in 6 squirts of grease every 6 hrs of operation.... Where does the grease go in that 6 hours?

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Not sure. It lubricates all the parts inside the compressor, so possible small amounts get dispersed in the air. So far, I haven't noticed any in the tank or discharge air. I've got a little over 3hrs on it right now, so I haven't added any.

Users who are viewing this thread