Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More aggressive tires for my 2022 3500 Ram

Lumpskie

Reaction score
lumpskie-
looking at those as my next tire. what size are you running and how is the road noise? those look so good on your rig
I'm running 37x12.5r17 tires. I'd compare the road noise to other hybrid or aggressive ATs. They are louder than the KO2s that were on there before. (they also bite better) I'd say they compare pretty similarly to Duratracs in terms of noise.

Ramrob1

Reaction score
I have a 1/29/2022 order in for a 3500 Ram Laramie with the HO Diesel. I would like to put taller and more aggressive tires on the Night Rims. Being the first 3500 I've owned I'm not sure the tires that would be best. Would like to get 2" taller and still have minimal road noise and still have the stability with loads. Am I asking to much ? live in Indiana snow is a issue .
I run nitto Ridge grapplers on my 22 2500 and my previous 3500. 35x12.50x20 on stock wheels work great. I did 3" level kit and installed 325/60/20 with a small trim of inner fender plastic

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 67

kobra

Reaction score
I have a 1/29/2022 order in for a 3500 Ram Laramie with the HO Diesel. I would like to put taller and more aggressive tires on the Night Rims. Being the first 3500 I've owned I'm not sure the tires that would be best. Would like to get 2" taller and still have minimal road noise and still have the stability with loads. Am I asking to much ? live in Indiana snow is a issue .

I went from the LTD 20" rims to a 18" Fuel rim, because I wanted more sidewall for an even smoother ride. The tires I went with are Falken Wildpeak. So far, the combination is working very well! The combination rides much smoother than stock, and while hard to tell if it's quieter, the tone is lower so to me the sound is much better for longer days.

Here are a couple of things you mentioned that I will reply to:
- the stock tires are likely Firestone E rated, with a load capacity of 3640lbs. The Falkens are higher rated at 4080lbs. I'm not saying it allows for overloading, as there are limits to be respected on the rims and the axles, etc. But they will provide for a margin of safety. At a minimum, you should not go with a tire that has a lower rating than the stock rating of 3640lbs; if you had a 2500 I would say it might depend on your load requirements. But, as you've stated a 3500, I assume you may at times want to load her up heavy, so make sure the tires will be up for the job.
- you mention that snow is an issue. So, look for the M&S (snowpeak) symbol. Tires with the M&S rating typically perform a lot better in the white and wet stuff.

The Falkens meet the above weight and M&S ratings; the Toyo AT3's also do (they were unobtanium when I bought last year). I "think" the Nitto Grapplers have the M&S also, but I'd recommend you check both the above specs on whatever tire you decide on.

BTW, in terms of "aggressiveness", I would say the Falkens are the least aggressive looking, then the Toyo's, then the Grapplers. I wanted a bit more of a subdued look, so I like the Falkens. Others may want something more aggressive looking.

hth!
Brad

joelp

Reaction score
I went from the LTD 20" rims to a 18" Fuel rim, because I wanted more sidewall for an even smoother ride. The tires I went with are Falken Wildpeak. So far, the combination is working very well! The combination rides much smoother than stock, and while hard to tell if it's quieter, the tone is lower so to me the sound is much better for longer days.

Here are a couple of things you mentioned that I will reply to:
- the stock tires are likely Firestone E rated, with a load capacity of 3640lbs. The Falkens are higher rated at 4080lbs. I'm not saying it allows for overloading, as there are limits to be respected on the rims and the axles, etc. But they will provide for a margin of safety. At a minimum, you should not go with a tire that has a lower rating than the stock rating of 3640lbs; if you had a 2500 I would say it might depend on your load requirements. But, as you've stated a 3500, I assume you may at times want to load her up heavy, so make sure the tires will be up for the job.
- you mention that snow is an issue. So, look for the M&S (snowpeak) symbol. Tires with the M&S rating typically perform a lot better in the white and wet stuff.

The Falkens meet the above weight and M&S ratings; the Toyo AT3's also do (they were unobtanium when I bought last year). I "think" the Nitto Grapplers have the M&S also, but I'd recommend you check both the above specs on whatever tire you decide on.

BTW, in terms of "aggressiveness", I would say the Falkens are the least aggressive looking, then the Toyo's, then the Grapplers. I wanted a bit more of a subdued look, so I like the Falkens. Others may want something more aggressive looking.

hth!
Brad
im running the falkens in the narrow metric 35 on the 18s. they're so quiet at everything except 25-20mph on the decel where they've always made noise. at 30k on them and they've worn like iron. probably another 20k on em easy. they're sweet in snow. been from socal to bozeman and socal to bend in the last two winters and on the bozeman trip especially they were rock solid in some really wintry conditions. also drove up and over a mountain in the fishlake national forest area of utah to take a 'short cut' to the 70.... lets just say the sidewalls are strong too

they really are a fantastic tire and my desire for a more aggressive aesthetic is really at odds with the 'form follows function' mantra i try to live by.

another vote for the falken at3w as a solid option

jp

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Anyone running Cooper Discoverer AT3 xlt's that they would like to share a picture of??

Going to go with the Falken or the Cooper All Terrains.

Merd 3500

Reaction score
I'm running 37x12.5r17 tires. I'd compare the road noise to other hybrid or aggressive ATs. They are louder than the KO2s that were on there before. (they also bite better) I'd say they compare pretty similarly to Duratracs in terms of noise.
I really like these Mickey Thompsons but not sure how tall of a tire will fit under the 2022 3500 without modifying it

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I really like these Mickey Thompsons but not sure how tall of a tire will fit under the 2022 3500 without modifying it
I hear that 35s in general fit without issue... I think a few of the Power Wagon guys run them.

Users who are viewing this thread