Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MITS Alloy Tray & Canopy / '22 2500 Rear Air Suspension

HitchCrack

Reaction score
I was actually just watching a video mits posted to youtube today, and looks like they just use some tape to hold everything together (video) may be a cheap easy solution.

Yeah I have been looking at getting some nut plates that I can rivet to the underside of the tray to make it super easy to bolt down the box. I am waiting on my jacks to get here so I can lift the canopy off and see how much room I have but looks like I should be good as soon as I can the right size.

Here are a few more pictures of the setup before the Ice storm hit us here in TX.IMG_5505.jpeg
IMG_5504.jpeg

sn_85

Reaction score
I was actually just watching a video mits posted to youtube today, and looks like they just use some tape to hold everything together (video) may be a cheap easy solution.

It boggles my mind that basically every midsized truck in oz is able to slap on a trap and canopy, plus all the gear, and still be in the clear. From my understanding their DOT is even more intense than it is in the states, which leads me to question if these midsized trucks are built differently for their market, or have crazy payload vs our us versions. The Ford ranger seems to have a much higher payload over in oz than we have here in the states, and I know the hilux is allegedly more beefy than the taco in terms of frame and all that.

1k lbs more than OEM is a pretty huge amount considering it's an empty shell. Damn, I really should have gotten a 3500, or shipped a ranger or something from oz here.

Pretty much all trucks outside of the US use fully boxed frames. The Ford Rangers, Nissan Navara's, Toyota Hilux are fully boxed. Many of those trucks have 1-ton payloads. You can also buy GVM upgrades as well and get them legally certified to carry a heavier weight. The upgrades can be as simple as a new springs and shocks. Certainly you can do the same thing here in the US, like upgrading shocks and springs, but you just won't get the official certification from DOT and have no way of knowing how much it's actually increasing payload.

sn_85

Reaction score
Yeah I have been looking at getting some nut plates that I can rivet to the underside of the tray to make it super easy to bolt down the box. I am waiting on my jacks to get here so I can lift the canopy off and see how much room I have but looks like I should be good as soon as I can the right size.

Here are a few more pictures of the setup before the Ice storm hit us here in TX.View attachment 51202
View attachment 51203

Beautiful tray. We're almost twinning!!!

PXL_20230127_220439384.jpgPXL_20230127_220448539.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Peak 2500 RAWR is 6,390 but 6,000 is pretty common too. I can’t imagine there are too many settings/programs for the auto-level, more of a one size fits all. It’s likely a pressure limit in the bags, not an estimated weigh. But that’s a guess.

I haven’t heard of a 3500 SRW getting the overload message, which makes me think DRW and SRW have the same settings.

There was one reported in a thread a LONG time back. Owner reported overload message and EB disabled. Seem to recall there wasn't a lot of substantial follow up on it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly you can do the same thing here in the US, like upgrading shocks and springs, but you just won't get the official certification from DOT and have no way of knowing how much it's actually increasing payload.

I don’t believe DOT certifies the weight, but there are provisions in federal code to modify the door stickers weight ratings. Where the original manufacturer takes responsibility for the original sticker, the modifier takes responsibility for the modified sticker. I had a modified door sticker on my 2005, with a higher FAWR, RAWR, and GVWR.

There was one reported in a thread a LONG time back. Owner reported overload message and EB disabled. Seem to recall there wasn't a lot of substantial follow up on it.

I’ve read a few reports of the overloaded message, but that’s the first I’ve heard that the EB disables with it.

HitchCrack

Reaction score
Installed the Carli 3.25 Pintop this weekend. This kit is a beast! So far everything in the rear is working like it should. I need to chalk test the tires but currently running at 50psi and seems a bit soft compared to the factory wheels and tires. I pulled the canopy early last week to take some stuff to powder coating. Its not super easy to remove but its nice to be able to have the flat bed for truck things when needed. Rear suspension adjust when the canopy is off vs on and this was the reason I really wanted it to work so it can be dynamic to what is on the truck. Pretty stoked so far.

IMG_5655.jpeg

UglyViking

Reaction score
Installed the Carli 3.25 Pintop this weekend. This kit is a beast! So far everything in the rear is working like it should. I need to chalk test the tires but currently running at 50psi and seems a bit soft compared to the factory wheels and tires. I pulled the canopy early last week to take some stuff to powder coating. Its not super easy to remove but its nice to be able to have the flat bed for truck things when needed. Rear suspension adjust when the canopy is off vs on and this was the reason I really wanted it to work so it can be dynamic to what is on the truck. Pretty stoked so far.

View attachment 52599
What was difficult about the canopy removal?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great!

Hit the scales for your tire pressure, it’s much better than the chalk test.

What size are those tires?

HitchCrack

Reaction score
Looks great!

Hit the scales for your tire pressure, it’s much better than the chalk test.

What size are those tires?
They are 37 x 13.50. I will check into that. I was planning on getting the weight checked, is there a chart that correlates to weight and tire pressure?

jsalbre

Reaction score
This is my preferred chart.

50 psi is likely quite a bit more than you need. What size wheels?
For anecdotal purposes, I just scaled my stock Rebel and on 285/60R20 if I ran 35 rear and 45 front I’d have 500 pounds of wiggle room left over. On 37s I’d be shocked if you need more than 35-40 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread