Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimum steps/rails

Skid51

Reaction score
Am looking for steps that are tight to the rockers and with minimal droopy parts so they won’t get banged off-road but still offer some step-up functionality. Although I am able to get some Maple sliders with little or no shipping cost, I am holding off on full, heavy sliders to save some scare payload capacity. The detachable steps on the N-Fab RKR steps look interesting (see pic).. anyone try them and can opine how bothersome it is to detach the steps from the rails for off-road days? Alternatively, seems also Go Rhino Slim RB20’s might work, as a thinner step compromise… how are they , being kinda skinny, for step-up and down convenience?

Attachments

• IMG_2115.png
    IMG_2115.png
    983.5 KB · Views: 9

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Am looking for steps that are tight to the rockers and with minimal droopy parts so they won’t get banged off-road but still offer some step-up functionality. Although I am able to get some Maple sliders with little or no shipping cost, I am holding off on full, heavy sliders to save some scare payload capacity. The detachable steps on the N-Fab RKR steps look interesting (see pic).. anyone try them and can opine how bothersome it is to detach the steps from the rails for off-road days? Alternatively, seems also Go Rhino Slim RB20’s might work, as a thinner step compromise… how are they , being kinda skinny, for step-up and down convenience?
I have the RB 20 full size and love them. Chose them specifically because they sit close to the rocker, added benefit is they deflect lots of rocks when cruising down gravel roads. Wouldn’t change a thing about them. IMG_2988.jpeg

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I will say that if your offroading consists of dragging the truck over rocks, I would avoid those lighter-duty ones that attach to the pinch seam/ body area. I had the factory Rubicon rock rails on my Jeep that attached in the same way, and they ended up still contacting the body and ripping the body nuts out thanks to Northern salty road rust. I currently have the OE sides steps on the truck and while they work great for daily use, I would not want to put the truck's weight on them.

Those Maple ones are heavy, but I would take the peace of mind that you can rest the truck on them without any body contact. The current rock rails on my Jeep are frame mounted and I've had rock impacts so hard you would think the air bag would blow and no contact with the body.

Soapy

Reaction score
I have the Nfab rails with detachable steps. I put them on myself and are pretty stout for body mounted rails. The steps are easy to take off with 2- 3/4 inch bolts per steps to remove. I used to be 376 lbs and they never flexed when I used the step getting in. Glad I lost 100 lbs now and still love the steps.

Skid51

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. To clarify use, although my off-road use doesn’t plan for pivots or boulder drops, I do at times mis-step and slide over a log, ice shelf or mound of snow. That’s why I think a smooth bottomed, tucked in step covering the pinch weld, like the OEM sliders or N-Fab RKR’s might be best bang for buck. I’ve now looked more closely at RB20’s and RB10’s but from pix it’s tough to see seems like there is 3 vulnerable and thin mounting brackets hanging well below. Is that the case?

Skid51

Reaction score
I have the RB 20 full size and love them. Chose them specifically because they sit close to the rocker, added benefit is they deflect lots of rocks when cruising down gravel roads. Wouldn’t change a thing about them. View attachment 69277
On a side note, Jncarson, are those 37’s? Feedback so far has told me mudflaps in the front will not work with 37’s… that there will be rub at least in reverse at near full-lock. What’s your experience? Thanks.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
On a side note, Jncarson, are those 37’s? Feedback so far has told me mudflaps in the front will not work with 37’s… that there will be rub at least in reverse at near full-lock. What’s your experience? Thanks.
Not 37’s. 285/75/18 ridge grapplers. Just over 35” have no rubbing with them.

NickR

Reaction score
Looking for the same... minimum steps with some protection... I am considering the OEM rock rails... I'd like to see more photos of them or in person first ideally and see if they are good enough as a step for the wife...

Users who are viewing this thread