Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mileage before first oil change

THC1

Reaction score
How long did you guys go before changing the oil for the first time? Does RAM use the Pennzoil 0-40 from day one or something else as break in oil?
I've never been a Pennzoil fan and always use Mobile One but considering sticking with what they recommend. I like prefer WIX filters!

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Hanging out for this. I'm at 4300 and planning the first one soon. Evic shows 49% oil life.

5k is enough for me with winter warmups and towing last summer.

THC1

Reaction score
Hanging out for this. I'm at 4300 and planning the first one soon. Evic shows 49% oil life.

5k is enough for me with winter warmups and towing last summer.
Interesting...i never go over 5k for regular changes but always changed oil the first time very early, as in 1500 or so. Granted, this is only my third new vehicle and i’m 55! Maybe just paranoia.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
I did my first at 5K, and will plan on 7k subsequently. Mobil 1 full synthetic meets all the required specs. I have found it on sale at Costco before. Hoping it goes on sale again soon so I can stock up.

Reactions: @JC

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Interesting...i never go over 5k for regular changes but always changed oil the first time very early, as in 1500 or so. Granted, this is only my third new vehicle and i’m 55! Maybe just paranoia.

Double interesting. Believe my manual said 5 so that's what I planned on. Not sure going forward if I'll stick to it or not. Based on the computer and other people 5 will be alright to me. My Prius is on 10k changes including the first one.

JesseLackman

Reaction score
510 miles.

whitexc

Reaction score
510 miles.

Interesting read there.....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
my first oil change on my 2020 6.4L was at 1111 miles (planned on doing at 1000 but quirky enough it was 1111 on the day I changed it) and 4953 (3842 miles on the change) and from know on I will go 5000 miles give or take.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting read there.....

Not really though its nothing new to find bearing material the first few changes, oil analysis is the best way to know whats going on in your engine

whitexc

Reaction score
Yeah, it was stated in there I believe that oil threads are almost like talking religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion or belief and that is fine.

I am a little OCD and will likely change some fluids ahead of schedule on my first ever new truck. It's just me and mine.

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
I’d imagine the tolerances are a bit better than my predator generator. That thing had all kinds of metal in it on the break in period.

I changed mine at roughly 3k after reading the above linked thread. I’m thinking again at 5k just to get back on an easy “every 5k on the 5k” schedule. I use the 4wd H about once a month and am debating on changing that fluid sooner than later.

twodoghill

Reaction score
I drove it home 1200 miles and changed the oil and filter. I used the specified Pennzoil and Mopar filter.

Last edited:

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
I’m at 2k right now probably gonna do it at 3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BroKV

Reaction score
The dealer put a sticker in my new 2500, says 6k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread