Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIL light popped on today

PGHChris81

Reaction score
My truck is a 2019 with about 37.5k miles on it. So as I was leaving for work this morning my MIL light popped on and stayed on the entire 30 minute drive to work. All gauges were good, all temps were normal. Nothing seemed different or off about the behavior of my truck. No lack of power, no shuttering, stuttering or weird noises. I can't think of any reason as to why its on. I went through 3 cycles throughout the day and it is still on after every start and stays on until I turn it off. Any thoughts?

Wheelz

Reaction score
Do you have a reader to pull the code? we're just as clueless without knowing the actual code.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Check your gas cap. If it’s not closed tightly it’ll set the MIL.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I did take the gas cap off and put it back on, wasn't loose or anything. That didn't make it go away.

As far as the code reader, no I don't have one. I was just curious if anyone has dealt with this issue before and what it happened to be. I was going to change my oil as it's due soon myself, but now I think ill take it to the dealership so i can figure out what the code is. I just don't want to wait hours as it always is at a dealership.

jsalbre

Reaction score
You can swing by just about any auto parts store and they can read the codes for you for free. No reason to spend a ton of time at the dealer just for a read.

Wheelz

Reaction score
i think any local autoparts store will pull the code for you? Heck even with amazon, you can get one overnighted these days. Eash..going to the dealer they'll charge you to pull the code as an hours worth of labor.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Gotta get the code read. There's hundreds of different reasons that light could come on and only the code will point you in the right direction.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has dealt with this issue before
As others pointed out no one could tell you what the issue is until you get the code.
MIL is too general and is basically just saying that something is wrong

Users who are viewing this thread