Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mega cab rear seat questions

Finn5033

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm new to this site but not to Ram trucks. I currently own a 2020 Ecodiesel. Due to a new camper order I have decided to upgrade to a Ram 3500. My wife has grown to really like the rear of the crew cab in our truck. It's so nice and big and the thing she really loves is the flat floor. We have a big 110lb dog, and he goes with us on all of our camping and fishing trips so it is really nice to have that flat floor. We used to have a 2013 1500 crew cab and while the fold flat floor was functional it really is nowhere as nice as the rear seat in the new models. She wants to look at the Silverados cause there back seat floors are flat. I would prefer to stick with ram so I'm trying to convince her that we could go with a mega cab. I have searched online a ton and looked for video reviews on Youtube but for the life of me I cannot find any videos or pictures of what the back seat looks like if you fold the seats up. Or if you even can fold the seats up instead of down. It looks like the center hump ends close to the console in the back. So is the floor flat if you fold the back seat up. Any help someone could give me on this would be great. I can't find one locally to go look at in person. Thanks

Ericcj7

Reaction score
You cannot fold the seats up in a mega cab, but you can fold them down to make a flat floor. We have a 120 pound dog and the only disadvantage is he has to climb a bit more because when the seats are folded it's about a foot higher than the floor, but the space is huge. I whish I could take a picture for you but my truck is in the body shop getting repaired from baseball size hail

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

BAT3500

Reaction score
Unlike crew cabs, megcab rear seat folds down creating a flat surface. Drawback is the surface is higher by the thickness of the seat, rear edges have covers that conceal the hinge area that are not all that stable (can flip up if step on wrong), you loose the two floor consoles that you get in the crew cab.
Advantage is of course more room in the cab.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Best pic i have for the moment

Attachments

• 16216053287573555216929376575013.jpg
    16216053287573555216929376575013.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 113

Finn5033

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies guys. And thanks for that picture. Sorry I missed Eric's post before I responded the first time.

I actually just got luck and found a used Mega Cab at a dealer so I can go see it in person too.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Unlike crew cabs, megcab rear seat folds down creating a flat surface. Drawback is the surface is higher by the thickness of the seat, rear edges have covers that conceal the hinge area that are not all that stable (can flip up if step on wrong), you loose the two floor consoles that you get in the crew cab.
Advantage is of course more room in the cab.
How do you like your mega Cab. We only have one daughter and of course the big dog. Will the mega cab be overkill for us? We go on probably as many as 15 trips a year between camping and ice fishing. I really hope I can convince the wife to like the mega cab otherwise we may be moving to a Chevy and I really don't want to

BAT3500

Reaction score
I love it. We travel to dog competions a lot. Usually have 3 dog crates in the rear cab. Couldnt do that with our crew cab. On the other hand, last year had to help with a coouple of family relocations, rear seat down opens up a tremendous amount of inside protected room to haul stuff. Finally if you do haul people, the megacab rear seats are hard to beat.

Finn5033

Reaction score
I love it. We travel to dog competions a lot. Usually have 3 dog crates in the rear cab. Couldnt do that with our crew cab. On the other hand, last year had to help with a coouple of family relocations, rear seat down opens up a tremendous amount of inside protected room to haul stuff. Finally if you do haul people, the megacab rear seats are hard to beat.
Great, thanks for the reply

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I have a MegaCab and love it! Your current 1500 is a true 5th gen cab. Thats why the floor is flat. In the HD's they still use the 4th gen cab, which is why starting with 2019 a lot of folks call them gen 4.5. This means there is a hump, but a small one. Like others have said, when you fold the seats down (note they also recline) you have a huge flat surface, bigger than the floor of any truck that I am aware of. Also, has your wife seen the front end on the newer Chevys? IMHO they are just god awful ugly! At least the GMC front end looks good. Plus once you have experienced the awesome interior of a Ram, how could you go to anything else???

1651Naismith

Reaction score
+1 for the Mega Cab. It is pure awesomeness for road trips. Kids and dogs love the extra space. Extra leg room means kids don’t kick your seat during the trip (or at least it comes a rare event). Plenty of room to pack things behind the rear seats so they are out of the way but easily accessible without getting into the bed.

Finn5033

Reaction score
I have a MegaCab and love it! Your current 1500 is a true 5th gen cab. Thats why the floor is flat. In the HD's they still use the 4th gen cab, which is why starting with 2019 a lot of folks call them gen 4.5. This means there is a hump, but a small one. Like others have said, when you fold the seats down (note they also recline) you have a huge flat surface, bigger than the floor of any truck that I am aware of. Also, has your wife seen the front end on the newer Chevys? IMHO they are just god awful ugly! At least the GMC front end looks good. Plus once you have experienced the awesome interior of a Ram, how could you go to anything else???
Yeah I’ve had 4 different Ram 1500’s so I certainly like them. We are going to look at a used megacab and a 2020 used Silverado tonight. I’m hoping she likes the mega cab better. Cause the Ram interiors are definitely nicer than the Silverados. Neither of them is one we would buy but at least we can get a feel for the rear of the mega cab and the interior of the Chevy

Pronto

Reaction score
I put a couple of dog beds in the back of mine. They're slid forward over the headrests in this pic but they fit and function very well. The child seat restraints in the back of the cab work great for dog harnesses.

20210319_130116.jpg

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The Megas are awesome trucks. The Chevy is nice but you may have to close your eyes walking up to it. Heck, you may not be able to look at the interior either after having a Ram.

Mat_HD

Reaction score
I have no kids, and still got a mega. The interior of the rams is unmatched and the room in the mega is absurd.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Im going to miss the long bed of my 2nd gen but the rest of my family will love the extra room.

Finn5033

Reaction score
The Megas are awesome trucks. The Chevy is nice but you may have to close your eyes walking up to it. Heck, you may not be able to look at the interior either after having a Ram.
I actually like the look of the Chevy if it’s optioned right and has some bigger A/T tires on it. I’m more concerned about the change of the interior and I also don’t like that they are still using the 6 speed tranny. I think I can talk her into staying with the Ram whether it’s a mega or a regular cab. We used to have a 4th gen 1500 with the same fold flat floor so I know it will work for us

Last edited:

raven_dt

Reaction score
The 5th Gen 1500 crew cabs are larger than the "5th Gen HD" Ram megacab and the 1500 crew cab has a flat floor vs. the hump in the HD crew cab and mega cab.

Users who are viewing this thread