Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MD Ceramic coating

arx237

Reaction score
Anyone have MD handle their ceramic coating?

Cost and was it done well?

arx237

Reaction score
Interesting. it was offered to be done by sales rep. who farms it out.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Interesting. it was offered to be done by sales rep. who farms it out.
I should have been for clear. Sandi said MD doesn't do the work, as you mentioned, they farm it out.

arx237

Reaction score
but is it worth the cost? I was told $700

BAT3500

Reaction score
When i picked up my MD truck 2 weeks ago i was offered the same deal the same price. May be good deal but i passed. Sounded too good to be true considering it seems to typically cost 2-3 grand and takes several days for a good paint correction process followed by ceramic coating. Think i am going to stick with my usual clay bar a typical paint sealant for now. It has worked great for the last 2 trucks.

Andersen24

Reaction score
The $700 is going to depend on how long they "warranty" or "guarantee" the ceramic coating, what exactly they are coating (wheels included?), what product they use, etc. Also if you aren't local it probably wouldn't be worth it as if there were an issue with the ceramic coating you would have to take it back to the place that did the ceramic coat. if you are local, wouldn't hurt to ask them some more questions though! Ceramic coating itself when done correctly is some pretty impressive stuff!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My local body shop applied a ceramic coating for my on my 2020 RAM 3500 dually for $400 and a 5 year warranty. No paint correction. But provides an easy to wash truck that shines nicely. I do not have a show truck. A long steady rain will clean the truck nicely.

The paint correction stuff is beautiful, but doesn't add value to a truck. Consult a body shop to see what services they offer.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
A lot of products call themselves “ceramic coatings”. You can get a ceramic spray wax that would last 6 months. I bet that’s what a lot of these places are doing.

If I had to guess, it’s a wash, clay bar and spray ceramic wax/sealant. I’d never pay a dealer for any paint work.

G’Dave

Reaction score
I just had this discussion with Aaron at Mark Dodge. My truck arrived there two days ago. Yes, it's $700. Yes, they farm it out to a local guy who does paint correction and then applies the liquid ceramic coating. Aaron told me THERE IS NO WARRANTY for "out of state" orders.

I went back and forth on it as well, but decided to skip it. Paint can be "corrected" later, if you really want to spend the money. The deal that @RV_Goose mentioned makes more sense (i.e. find a local shop where you can take advantage of the warranty if needed.

My current truck in my signature pic is 8 years old, over 160,000 miles on the clock, has been parked on the street for it's entire life, and still looks great. And it's a truck, not a show car. I guess it also depends on how picky you are.
I decided that the $700 is much better used for things that make more sense to me (tonneau cover, mud flaps, husky/weathertech floor mats etc).

Users who are viewing this thread