Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBRP 4" Single Exhaust, 35" Spare Clearance

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Fellow RAM family,

I have been researching swapping the stock exhaust cat-back to a MBRP S5149 system. I know it will not give me performance gains, just grunts of manliness, and that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
It is a 3.5" system that expands to a full 4" tailpipe. I am running a 35" spare and it is tight, I mean tight. I beat the heat shield back to where it almost touches the stock exhaust in order to wedge the tire into place. I think I am going to remove the heat shield all together next time I drop the spare or modify it because one must issue forth a string of profanity when attempting to secure the spare tire into its home.

Herein lies my concern. If the tailpipe is 4" diameter, that is 1/4" greater radius and possibly 1/4" less clearance for the heat shield. 1/4" is either a little or a lot depending on the situation, lol. Are any of you running this exhaust with a 35" spare?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Interesting.
I have the stock exhaust minus the resonator. I'm also running a 35" BFG on the factory spare rim.

I cut off the front part of my heat shield, but not the part by the exhaust pipe, to fit my spare in.

The only issue I have fitting my spare, is I have to tilt the front up when raising the spare until it is above the track bar. Then it goes right in. It also clears the heat shield by the exhaust pipe, granted not by much.

There are pictures of what I did in my build thread. I would think the MBRP pipe would fit just fine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The diesels have a 4” tail pipe stock and there are guys running 35” spares

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
I run 37s so my spare rides in the bed when it comes along, but I installed the S5149 and it touches the heat shield in it's unmodified position.

Thanks for the input. Are you happy with it? Does it drone on the highway?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The diesels have a 4” tail pipe stock and there are guys running 35” spares

Even assuming the frame hanger bracket is the same, you don't think it's possible they routed/bent it differently?

(that's a semi-rhetorical question in case it's not obvious as I've not personally compared them)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Even assuming the frame hanger bracket is the same, you don't think it's possible they routed/bent it differently?

(that's a semi-rhetorical question in case it's not obvious as I've not personally compared them)
Could be

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
I'm trying to get corsa to create an rsc exhaust for our trucks... call their contact number and talk to their technical department... let's get different options available

Users who are viewing this thread