Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Dodge - Out of town delivery

Grillfather

Reaction score
I have a 3500 order that’s on its way to MD, shipped on 6/24 so we’ll see how long it takes. Now that at least the beginning of the end of the journey is underway I’m starting to figure out how I’m going to actually get this thing home. I’m up near KC (about 750 miles away from MD) and have a 2012 2500 that I’ll be trading in. Trying to decide if I drive the trade in down, or have the new truck delivered and the trade in hauled down to MD, and I have some questions for those of you who have had their trucks delivered.

• I know the freight company will take the trade in back to MD, do you have to pay extra for that? Meaning will the delivery charge double?
  • Do you pay the freight company, or do you pay MD? Sounds like the logistics are handled by the MD team, correct?
  • From the checklist thread it looks like there are several issues people have seen with trucks when they’ve gone to pick them up. Has anyone had any issues - with the factory build or with accessories not being included- with the trucks delivered? How easy was it to work with MD to get the issue fixed? Assume they just contract with a local dealership to take care of it?
  • Anyone had any cosmetic issues with their trucks that happened during delivery after the truck left MD - chips, scratches, stuff like that? If so do you work with MD to get them resolved, or are you kind of left on your own to get the freight company to take care of them?
  • In general how was your expereince? Would you have your truck delivered if you had it to do over again? What issues have come up for everyone And how easy were they to get resolved?

I don’t post much on here but am a frequent reader of the forums. Honestly don’t think I would be getting a new truck if I didn’t stumble on here and hear about the prices MD offers, so I appreciate all the information out here and everyone who contributes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Illymost

Reaction score
This is only speculation, so TIFWIW, but I’d guess you would pay transport back as well. These transport guys aren’t necessarily based out of Louisiana. They are most likely moving on to the next paycheck wherever that is. MD handled the logistics, I paid the transport. Truck was fine on arrival and I was pleased overall with the experience. Having said that, at 750 miles, I’d drive if I was able. That’s about $1600, although with fuel, who knows anymore.

mcarey

Reaction score
You're definitely going to have to pay to send the truck to them. I'd just drive. You're looking at like 4 tanks of gas, and a hotel room.

Grillfather

Reaction score
You're definitely going to have to pay to send the truck to them. I'd just drive. You're looking at like 4 tanks of gas, and a hotel room.
It make sense you’d have to pay both ways, but then I can’t see how it ever makes sense economically for them to deliver and pick up your trade - I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here that people have done that.

If I’m looking at somewhere around $1,800 for delivery / pick up of trade its a no brainer to drive down.

Thanks

pinkerton81

Reaction score
I know this is not your question but when I bought from MD, i found that their offer was bout $5k under what I was able to sell my truck for. Have you looked for local offers? This would eliminate the cost of transporting the trade. I flew into IAD and they met me at the airport with the truck (no charge) - so I only had the flight cost and the long drive home to Indianapolis.

Illymost

Reaction score
I know this is not your question but when I bought from MD, i found that their offer was bout $5k under what I was able to sell my truck for. Have you looked for local offers? This would eliminate the cost of transporting the trade. I flew into IAD and they met me at the airport with the truck (no charge) - so I only had the flight cost and the long drive home to Indianapolis.
You flew into Dulles?

Grillfather

Reaction score
I actually just listed my truck last night to try and sell privately - coincidently for exactly $5k more than what MD offered. Hopefully I’ll get some interest. As long as I can get $2k more than their offer I’ll end up on the positive end, factoring in the savings on the sales tax when you trade in. Was hoping to trade in just because its going to be a pain going without a truck, especially knowing how unpredictable the last shipping stage can be.

mcarey

Reaction score
It make sense you’d have to pay both ways, but then I can’t see how it ever makes sense economically for them to deliver and pick up your trade - I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here that people have done that.

If I’m looking at somewhere around $1,800 for delivery / pick up of trade its a no brainer to drive down.

Thanks
Their delivery (from what I've gathered, I've not bought a vehicle through them) is limited to 250 miles. The "free gas" they put in your truck to go deliver it is paid for by you in your purchasing of the vehicle, so all they really have to do is cover their fuel costs on the way back.

Probably safe to assume that their margin on the trade is greater than a tank of fuel.

gt1guy

Reaction score

That makes sense. Mark Dodge sells ~500 new vehicles a month. I'd bet trade-ins older than a couple of years are more of an annoyance.

Grillfather

Reaction score
Assuming the guy follows through with the funds today looks like I have my truck sold. Coincidently right after the guy decided to buy it I received an email from MD saying my truck should be in Port Allen on 7/5 and they expect it to be at the dealership 2/3 weeks after that.

Curious on the logistics of your trip down from Indianapolis. Did you fly directly into Lake Charles? Did you get the night before and stay at a local hotel, or get in the same day you picked up the truck. I’ll be flying down from KC so any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nick

Reaction score
Personally I would make the trip . You need to look at it make sure all is good . No one at the dealership is going to scrutinize it the way the owner will . It shows up with a problem that is dealer related you are going to have to make that drive anyway .

mcarey

Reaction score
It shows up with a problem that is dealer related you are going to have to make that drive anyway .
Aside from it being the wrong truck, or missing options on the buildsheet (I've yet to see this happen, personally), what kind of problems could there be that your local dealer wouldn't be able to handle?

Warranty claims are warranty claims.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I had my truck delivered from MD. I sold my old truck to Carvana for 5k more than MD offered.

I told them I didnt want any cleaning done, leave it as it was from the factory. Dealerships suck at washing vehicles. I wasn’t about to have a bunch of swirl marks introduced before I touched it.

Aaron also took video and pics of the truck. I asked him for a few specific pics and he kindly obliged. I had no issues.

maxx442

Reaction score
I sold my 2016 3500 locally (to a Chevy dealer no less) for $5800 more than MD offered. More than offsets the sales tax break for trading in. I can get a one way ticket into Lake Charles for $250.

pinkerton81

Reaction score
Assuming the guy follows through with the funds today looks like I have my truck sold. Coincidently right after the guy decided to buy it I received an email from MD saying my truck should be in Port Allen on 7/5 and they expect it to be at the dealership 2/3 weeks after that.

Curious on the logistics of your trip down from Indianapolis. Did you fly directly into Lake Charles? Did you get the night before and stay at a local hotel, or get in the same day you picked up the truck. I’ll be flying down from KC so any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I flew into Houston and they met me at the airport, drove me about 3 miles to a gas station and gave me the keys. If I were you, I'd tell them I want to take the truck at the airport - that extra drive cost me about 25 minutes. I paid for the truck by wire several days before

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
I’m having mine shipped. Yesterday Aaron quoted me $1,375.00 for a 950 mile trip.
As far as trade being hauled I’d assume that’s on your dime.
I’m paying for my freight outta pocket. I’m not adding that in on the truck price, kinda dumb to do so.
Aaron went to move my truck yesterday, couldn’t find it, was then told that a dime size dent was discovered and the truck is at the body shop. The dent happens sometime during shipping to port Allen or shipping from the port to MD. Things like that happen and it can happen just as easy if your driving down the road.
One of the things to consider when trying to decide. Do you really want to take a brand new truck, that has almost 0 miles, jump right on the interstate and run it hard all the way back home ? It is recommended that the first 500 miles are easy miles. Many think it’s to help break in the motor but it’s mainly the transmission and rearends … The transmission learns during the first 500 miles, and the rearends are wearing in..

Chriss626

Reaction score
Mark Dodge quoted me almost $2700 to ship it to Los Angeles so I listed on uship.com and found a transporter to do it for $1950. Getting it this Sunday!9632E659-47C9-4946-AEE6-42A65024BE20.png

Users who are viewing this thread