Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manual Regeneration for Pickups POLL

Should RAM make the "Manual DPF Regeneration" feature an option for current & future trucks?

• YES

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • NO

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Let`s face it. For those of us who drive a Cummins powered Ram as a daily driver, active regeneration cycles are just part of the day to day experience of ownership. If you're like me, you use your truck for both daily commutes as well as occasional or intermittent towing / hauling. This type of use results in some trips not generating the conditions necessary for passive regeneration to occur and a resulting increase in soot building within the DPF. It is this type of use that makes active regeneration cycles necessary. In order to maintain the cleanliness of our DPF`s, active regeneration cycles are the "necessary evil" of diesel ownership today. And before you say it, no I`m not interested in the almighty "delete". Yes, that's correct, I`m actually satisfied leaving the truck as it was designed. Do I like emissions systems for diesels? No, of course I don't. I'd prefer to live today as I lived back in the 90's and early 2000's; Nothing but clean cold air on the intake side, and nothing but a straight pipe full of black, carbon-laden exhaust on the other side. But let's be real for a minute, those days are gone and they aren't coming back. Sorry folks but the emissions systems are here to stay. Moving on. The downside to these active regeneration cycles is that we have very little control over when they occur. For pickups, these cycles will begin in one of two circumstances. The first is on a time-based schedule. Roughly every 24 hours of engine operation, the engine will enter the active regeneration cycle. The second is based on the amount of soot detected within the DPF. Differential pressure sensors are used to calculate how much soot is clogging the filter and when a threshold amount is reached, the system will trigger the active regeneration cycle to begin the cleanout. These cycles, whether triggered by time, or by soot load, never seem to happen when it is convenient. They either start a few minutes before you reach your destination, or they begin during slow speed driving. In either case, the system is designed to "pause" and "resume" if you should put the truck in park or shut it off, however this back and forth process can sometimes lead to excessive regeneration attempts, multiple failed attempts, or inevitably a DPF that fills up, requiring trips to the dealer for "stationary de-soot" or "parked regenerations" If you are like me, you often find yourself driving aimlessly down the interstate for an additional 20 - 30 minutes in order to allow these scheduled cycles to complete. This results in excessive wear and tear on the truck, a fruitless consumption of very expensive fuel, and an absolute waste of time...a commodity we all have in short supply. Wouldn't it be nice if we pickup owners could have some control over when these cycles start? Luckily, Ram has introduced the option to manually engage an active regeneration cycle. The downside to this? It is only available on cab and chassis trucks. That's right...you can order a 3500, 4500, or 5500 cab & chassis with the option to manually trigger an active regeneration cycle. This is a great feature because it allows the user to have some control in when these cycles start. Think about it; you could actually have the truck perform the regeneration at the point in your trip where it will actually have time to complete. No need to pause it, no need to keep driving aimlessly to wait for the cycle to finish. The only problem right now is that this feature is only available to cab and chassis trucks. The pickup trucks do not have this feature, and it is not available to order either. Lets let @RamCares know it is time for Ram to offer this as an option for all new pickups, as well as an "update" that can be added to any current truck. I feel this would be an option countless thousands of users would willingly purchase if it were made available and reasonably priced.

EDIT: Prior to writing this, I was unaware that the "manual regeneration" option on the cab and chassis trucks required the vehicle to be stationary. This means you would effectively be completing a parked regeneration. While that may be a useful option or tool for some users, that is different than what I would be advocating for in this post. My intent, and what I would like to see developed, is an option for our trucks that would allow users to preemptively initiate an active (automatic) regeneration cycle while driving, rather than being forced to wait for either the 24 hour timer, or the DPF differential pressure threshold. Just wanted to be clear and correct my previous error. Thanks for reading and I appreciate your constructive input as always!

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I voted yes but honestly, I have the feature and haven't used it yet at 16k miles. I paid about $300 for it iirc because I thought it would be handy. The only time I notice active regens kicking in and causing me inconvenience is after idling for an extended period, which I can't always foresee ahead of time to plan for it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I voted yes but honestly, I have the feature and haven't used it yet at 16k miles. I paid about $300 for it iirc because I thought it would be handy. The only time I notice active regens kicking in and causing me inconvenience is after idling for an extended period, which I can't always foresee ahead of time to plan for it.
I think it comes down to how each user runs the truck. In my situation, I have passed up many opportunities that were “the ideal time” for an active regeneration, only to make it five minutes from my destination and then have the cycle start. If this feature were available I would have utilized it and saved myself quite a bit of time

Aketay

Reaction score
I vote no, just another thing that we don’t need control of and we would have to be trained to use. By the way, did your selling dealer teach you anything about your truck except what the payment is and when it is due?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it comes down to how each user runs the truck. In my situation, I have passed up many opportunities that were “the ideal time” for an active regeneration, only to make it five minutes from my destination and then have the cycle start. If this feature were available I would have utilized it and saved myself quite a bit of time

The manual regeneration option on the C&C trucks is only a stationary option (vehicle must be in Park). It's intended to get into a full regen during extended idle periods that are more likely to occur in C&C applications.

I would have ordered it, but can also do it just as easily, and cheaper, with AlfaOBD. I do think periodic stationary regens are good for DPF life as they last an hour so they are more likely to clean out all the nooks and crannies.

If you could trigger a moving active regen then yes, we should get it. Start it as I come up to a grade where the DPF is already passively heated to 850° and you save a lot of fuel vs flat driving at 55 with a 500° DPF.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The manual regeneration option on the C&C trucks is only a stationary option (vehicle must be in Park). It's intended to get into a full regen during extended idle periods that are more likely to occur in C&C applications.

I would have ordered it, but can also do it just as easily, and cheaper, with AlfaOBD. I do think periodic stationary regens are good for DPF life as they last an hour so they are more likely to clean out all the nooks and crannies.

If you could trigger a moving active regen then yes, we should get it. Start it as I come up to a grade where the DPF is already passively heated to 850° and you save a lot of fuel vs flat driving at 55 with a 500° DPF.
I wasn’t aware it was a stationary thing.

Yes I’m talking about the ability to “trip” the system into active regeneration sooner than the pressure threshold or the 24 hour engine timer. They can still have it set to function as normal if we choose not to use the feature, but be able to make the system start when it would be most suitable to the drive cycle. I wouldn’t even care if they set a minimum threshold for the % before it would be able to be engaged. Say below 25% it would not trigger the cycle just for conversation sake.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn’t aware it was a stationary thing.

Yes I’m talking about the ability to “trip” the system into active regeneration sooner than the pressure threshold or the 24 hour engine timer. They can still have it set to function as normal if we choose not to use the feature, but be able to make the system start when it would be most suitable to the drive cycle. I wouldn’t even care if they set a minimum threshold for the % before it would be able to be engaged. Say below 25% it would not trigger the cycle just for conversation sake.

Yeah, I was bummed pickups didn’t get it until I found out it was stationary only. No need for me.

It would be nice to trigger a normal regen, but that currently not part of the programming. AFIK dealers can also only activate a stationary regen.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was bummed pickups didn’t get it until I found out it was stationary only. No need for me.

It would be nice to trigger a normal regen, but that currently not part of the programming. AFIK dealers can also only activate a stationary regen.
Yeah I didn’t know it was stationary either.
Being able to initiate a rolling active regen is the ticket. I can’t amend the poll title at this point but I guess we can still get the point across. Having some say in when those cycles initiate would be very helpful.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

Wait… is the AlfaODB option only stationary as well? I mean, as a last resort stationary is still better than nothing. Tons of guys have mentioned having DPF codes and the dealer just clears them, regens the system and send them on their way. I have the cable and Alfa so that I’m not stuck in the middle of a road trip with that nonsense.
But it’s still stationary only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait… is the AlfaODB option only stationary as well? I mean, as a last resort stationary is still better than nothing. Tons of guys have mentioned having DPF codes and the dealer just clears them, regens the system and send them on their way. I have the cable and Alfa so that I’m not stuck in the middle of a road trip with that nonsense.
But it’s still stationary only?

Yes, AlfaOBD can only enable things already programmed in the ECM and all that’s there for a triggered regen is a stationary one.

Triggered regens are usually to clear faults, and a stationary regen is a more complete regen which is why that’s the programmed option.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Yes, AlfaOBD can only enable things already programmed in the ECM and all that’s there for a triggered regen is a stationary one.

Triggered regens are usually to clear faults, and a stationary regen is a more complete regen which is why that’s the programmed option.

Okay. We’ll that’s good to know. I’ve got my cable, and Alfa, but have yet to install it and poke around. How long does the stationary regen take to complete?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. We’ll that’s good to know. I’ve got my cable, and Alfa, but have yet to install it and poke around. How long does the stationary regen take to complete?

Every one I did on my 2018 took 60 minutes. I haven’t done one on the 2022 yet.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Every one I did on my 2018 took 60 minutes. I haven’t done one on the 2022 yet.

So about an hour of the truck sitting and not being driven… I suppose it’s still better than limping to a dealer somewhere to have them do the exact same thing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So about an hour of the truck sitting and not being driven… I suppose it’s still better than limping to a dealer somewhere to have them do the exact same thing.

Yessir.

Everything gets HOT. I put an extra cooling fan at the front of the truck for more airflow and frequently spray the radiator with water.

Everyone I have done is right before my annual oil change in September, I should change that up for January when the temps are closer to 10° than 100°.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
You guys are overthinking it. Just drive the truck and don't worry. 99% of people do it this way and that is how the truck was designed for.
When the DPF is broken, replace it with a muffler+ software.

imjustdave

Reaction score
No reason this should be a dealer only option, how many trips, vacations, ETC have been canceled, ruined due to something someone could have initialed and fixed in an HR.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No reason this should be a dealer only option, how many trips, vacations, ETC have been canceled, ruined due to something someone could have initialed and fixed in an HR.
Manual regens are really a last resort. The issue is the government forcing people to have piss poor emission systems

Users who are viewing this thread