Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making the switch to HD

BrownMike

Reaction score
Howdy!

San Diego local looking to switch over to an HD truck in the next year or so. Currently have a 2017 Tundra that I love, but approaching it's towing limits. The Tundra is usually a secondary vehicle and tow pig, and has done a good job over the past 6 years towing several different trailers from motorcycle/car trailers to several different toy haulers. However over the years, with new toy upgrades its getting to it's comfortable limits towing ~8500 up 6% grades from the desert several times a year. Looking towards the future, anticipating some kiddos and larger/heavier trailer, it's time to start looking into a HD truck.

Looking to get into a 3500 4x4 Crew (or Mega) cab, possibly 2025 model year pending the new trans debut. Any insight on what packages/options people like or don't like is appreciated.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Howdy!

San Diego local looking to switch over to an HD truck in the next year or so. Currently have a 2017 Tundra that I love, but approaching it's towing limits. The Tundra is usually a secondary vehicle and tow pig, and has done a good job over the past 6 years towing several different trailers from motorcycle/car trailers to several different toy haulers. However over the years, with new toy upgrades its getting to it's comfortable limits towing ~8500 up 6% grades from the desert several times a year. Looking towards the future, anticipating some kiddos and larger/heavier trailer, it's time to start looking into a HD truck.

Looking to get into a 3500 4x4 Crew (or Mega) cab, possibly 2025 model year pending the new trans debut. Any insight on what packages/options people like or don't like is appreciated.
Welcome aboard! Your question really boils down to what it is YOU want. The more options you choose, the higher the price. Some folks go bare bones and then add things later, while others just get a fully loaded Limited and bite the bullet on the price tag. I am a Limited guy, and prefer the stuff installed at the factory for convenience and confidence that it was installed correctly. (Not always the case, but most of the time).

AZCummins

Reaction score
In my RAM journey I have gone from 2016 1500 Express -> 2019 1500 Laramie -> 2020 2500 Bighorn.

The express was my first RAM, so naturally I loved it but did end up spending a significant amount of time and money piecing together the interior creature comforts I was missing.

The Laramie level I with 12inch U-Connect upgrade was a great trim package I absolutely loved, and did not have to do any extra work on.

Jumped up to a HD for similar reason to you so we could future-proof the tow rig for camping trips now that the family has outgrown the small travel trailer. The well-optioned Bighorn I pulled the trigger on was only stickered about $7K above the trade value on my 1500 before all the dealer fees and taxes and such so it made the most sense compared to financing a newer or higher trim level with current prices and interest rates . I added Katzkin leather conversion a few weeks ago, and so far I am every bit as happy as I was in a Laramie.

Aurykon

Reaction score
I recently switched from a RAM 1500 Classic Express to a RAM 3500 Mega 4x4 Limited with the 6.4L Hemi. Both trucks are about three years old. The 3500 Limited was in flawless condition and only had 37,000 miles and still had remaining powertrain warranty. I got it for about half the cost of a new one. The RAMboxes and hard tonneau cover are excellent. Lots of protected storage space. The Mega cab is amazing, although that and the 6'-4" box make it a squeeze in the garage compared to the 1500. The numerous cameras make navigation in tight spaces much easier. The 12" Uconnect screen is super, much easier to use than smaller screens. Of course, the Limited version makes it a Cadillac. I'm still exploring options I've never had in previous vehicles.

I switched because in the last year I've acquired some hefty trailers: a 33' bumper pull holiday trailer and a 14,000 lb. dump trailer. The 1500 just wasn't up for the job.

The ride in the 3500 is much different than the 1500, which is to be expected with the leaf springs. You feel the road much more, although it is not bothersome. There's about a 3.5" height difference which gives you a better view of the road. In 4x4, the turning ratio is considerably larger than the 1500. Moving to a larger HD takes some adjustment, but heck, what fun.

Last edited:

jokingjimmy

Reaction score
That's a good call forward thinking the way you are. Assuming many Glamis runs lol.

Go Padres!

BrownMike

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on builds and comparing them, I think the ideal model would be a Laramie with Lvl 1 Laramie package, Night edition, and Tow tech package for the mirror and cameras. Not huge on the 12" display as I enjoy knobs more than touchscreen for HVAC controls and such, but it looks like its stuck with the Lvl 1 package.

I am curious about the ride difference 18's vs 20's. I would think the 20's still have enough sidewall to be effective, but less rotating mass...

That's a good call forward thinking the way you are. Assuming many Glamis runs lol.

Go Padres!
Yessir, I started storing the trailer out there to make the trips easier on the truck, which is great! Except when I break the sand car every other weekend and have to bring it home to fix it haha. Moved to a Pro R which is about twice the weight of the old car and definitely noticeable now!

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
18s definitely ride better. I run 18s in the winter and the factory 20s in the summer. The difference in ride is definitely noticeable.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I am curious about the ride difference 18's vs 20's. I would think the 20's still have enough sidewall to be effective, but less rotating mass...

I run both 18’s and 20’s on my truck and haven’t noticed any difference in the empty ride with the proper pressure. As long as you’re adjusting tire pressure for the load then it’s not a big deal.

Loaded the 20’s handle the weight better and I prefer them.

I only have a set of 18’s for elk hunting. The road where we hunt is pretty nasty and I want the added sidewall. Once hunting is done the 20’s go back on.

As far as weight my 285/60R20 Duratrac RT’s are 3lbs heavier than my 275/70R18 ST Maxx’s, and I’m sure the 20” wheels are heavier too.

BrownMike

Reaction score
As far as weight my 285/60R20 Duratrac RT’s are 3lbs heavier than my 275/70R18 ST Maxx’s, and I’m sure the 20” wheels are heavier too.

I have 285/75-18 on the tundra now, as that was the most proportional looking wheel and tire setup for the truck, back before I was towing bigger trailers. It doesn't see a much offroading, other than getting to the camp sites, and the next truck will be the same, so Im not too worried about sidewall protection, but have had to air down to get out of soft sand a few times.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 285/75-18 on the tundra now, as that was the most proportional looking wheel and tire setup for the truck, back before I was towing bigger trailers. It doesn't see a much offroading, other than getting to the camp sites, and the next truck will be the same, so Im not too worried about sidewall protection, but have had to air down to get out of soft sand a few times.

I would go with 20’s then, as I think they will be better nearly all of the time for you. Just don’t ask what 20” rubber coats.

I was very skeptical about 20’s when I ordered my truck, and couldn’t be happier with the ride, handling, and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread