Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Rear USB Outlet

coastie

Reaction score
If you have a USB outlet in the lower front dash you can buy a long factory USB harness to connect to the second row outlets your adding.

coastie

Reaction score
Part 68096423AC should be long enough to connect the usb in the front dash to your new rear USB ports. This should also allow any devices to connect to the Uconnect system.

You’ll have to do some additional wiring if you want them to illuminate with the interior lights.

I have not added the inverter to power the 110VAC outlet.

coastie

Reaction score
Part 68096423AC should be long enough to connect the usb in the front dash to your new rear USB ports. This should also allow any devices to connect to the Uconnect system.

You’ll have to do some additional wiring if you want them to illuminate with the interior lights.

I have not added the inverter to power the 110VAC outlet.
I forgot to mention that there are open ports on the back of the forward USB ports to plug your extension cable into. It makes for a clean install. When you remove the forward aux port you’ll
BC51AA8C-B447-44DA-A65A-680930278620.jpeg

FormTA

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info and pictures! I'll put the front one and see if it's like you say. If it is then I'll order the extension and other bits.
Thanks again for the detailed answer!

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Lots of great info in this thread!

I may have misunderstood , but 68402777AF isn’t an end cap with only usb outlets, it’s just the usb outlets.

Has anyone found the PN for the end cap with USB outlets only?

45fd01d9463bb3a85ceb2e323f178635.jpg

bd9ff87fc4ff44d432b6871d1e3c6c59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Following up and answering my own question. There doesn't look to be a USB only console cap.

6QT85TX7AC as mentioned earlier in this thread includes both AC power and usb. Color is black
6QT851N1AC is the same as above but in brown.

All other end caps are priced at a point that leads me to believe they include no electronics.

Looks like I'll have to complete circuit A932 from pin 46 of the XY125A connector to pin 1 of the XY360A connector. Does anyone know what terminals are used in these connectors? I don't see any listed on the Tech Authority docs.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm almost finished with this mod. I'm just waiting on the factory usb harness, but confirmed that it does work with a temporary usb jumper cable.

Here's what I had before:
View attachment 15118
Here's after:
View attachment 15119
For the new face plate I ordered part no: 6QT85TX7AC - Console End Cap - $142.24. Mine came with the usb and 115VAC outlet. Otherwise the part number for the USB only outlet is 68402777AF.
Drivers seat harness to rear USB panel: 68468100AA - WIRING. Seat. Left - $86.70. XY360 connector and female usb under drivers seat to arm rest USB, rear USB and 115VAC connections for the rear outlets.
USB factory cable: 68096423AC - $24.86

Other items:
The main power line from the truck did not exist at the XY360A connector under the drivers seat. On my truck however, it was fused and existed on the PDC side of the XY125 connector under that dash. In my case, I salvaged a male pin and female pin from the old driver's seat connector and ran a new 19 awg wire between the two. It is Pin 46, red wire on the XY125 connector to Pin 1 on the XY360 connector.

The usb cable will connect to an open USB port on the hub in the center console to the new harness drivers seat harness. The power line from the XY125 connector will connect to the XY360 connector under the drivers seat as well. I did remove the center armrest/seat for easier access and cable routing.

Best of luck.
Did you buy the end cap new or used? I ordered the same part number and it came with no outlets... Just empty spaces for them...

The way the posts here read to me, 6QT85TX7AC should have included the actual usb ports and 115v outlet and if that's the case I need to send some emails and find out why my order it's missing pieces.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
So I did this mod last year before our trip to Florida and it was working fine then. This year on our trip to Florida half way down I noticed I've got no power to the USB ports, only the inverter. Checked an the fuses, looks good, any one have any suggestions where else to check?

g00fy

Reaction score
Nevermind I found the problem. When I installed the lower glove box under the radio in the spring I accidentally plugged in the USB for the old armrest USB port that I no longer use. Plugged in the correct USB cable and my rear outlets came back to life.

Users who are viewing this thread