Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintenance Question

smitty8202

Reaction score
I have a 22 Ram 2500 6.7L. Has about 13900 miles on it. Got an oil change around 9500 miles. Dealership didn't change the fuel filters. Truck says 10% left for the filters. Is it time to change them? I will be traveling about 400 miles tomorrow. I am new to diesel engines and want to make sure I'm taking care of it so it lasts. I am planning on changing them out once I get where I'm going. from what I read I would change both filters and the fuel/water separator. Or are those one and the same? Any tips and advice is appreciated.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
change them both. I change mine around 20%. some folks go by mileage.

tchur1

Reaction score
Ya I would change both. I also change mine between 15-20%

Highcountry

Reaction score
I have a 22 Ram 2500 6.7L. Has about 13900 miles on it. Got an oil change around 9500 miles. Dealership didn't change the fuel filters. Truck says 10% left for the filters. Is it time to change them? I will be traveling about 400 miles tomorrow. I am new to diesel engines and want to make sure I'm taking care of it so it lasts. I am planning on changing them out once I get where I'm going. from what I read I would change both filters and the fuel/water separator. Or are those one and the same? Any tips and advice is appreciated.
It's due, I believe 15K is the service interval. If it were me I'd get them coming and change them out at the next convenient time. Pretty easy job, I think it took me about 30 minutes. Make sure you have the filternut wrench you'll need and some tubing for the drain petcock under the hood. it takes two filters. One up front and one in the filter/water seperator on the passenger side frame rail. Lots of good youtube videos available ( and some bad ones too)

smitty8202

Reaction score
It's due, I believe 15K is the service interval. If it were me I'd get them coming and change them out at the next convenient time. Pretty easy job, I think it took me about 30 minutes. Make sure you have the filternut wrench you'll need and some tubing for the drain petcock under the hood. it takes two filters. One up front and one in the filter/water seperator on the passenger side frame rail. Lots of good youtube videos available ( and some bad ones too)
This helps a lot. Thanks. What brand filters are good and what ones should I avoid.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They are a 12 month or 15K mile interval, which matches the oil change interval. Going forward I would consider aligning them.

There isn’t a lot of benefit to changing them early, as a used fuel filter is more efficient than a new fuel filter. Years ago Cat publish a white paper on not servicing fuel filters early, due to decreased average efficiency.

Stick to OEM filters, Mopar or Fleetguard, and avoid places like eBay or Amazon. Geno’s garage has a package price that is reasonable and your assured to get genuine filters.

Highcountry

Reaction score
This helps a lot. Thanks. What brand filters are good and what ones should I avoid.
I bought Mopar Performance filters on Diesel filters online. I bought both filters, a fuel filter socket, and an oil filter to have in reserve in my travel kit. I gave it plenty of time to drain and it really wasn't too messy. I did find it helpful to have a littlle bucket to drop the filter into and catch the diesel drips

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OEM or Fleetguard. Wix or Baldwin/Donaldson are acceptable IMHO if need be. I have purchased on e-bay and Amazon but ONLY from legit brick and mortar MOPAR dealers. Avoid all others except those and Genos.

You'll probably need an air filter as well and there's a great thread here on getting the correct one. 53034051AB

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
OEM or Fleetguard. Wix or Baldwin/Donaldson are acceptable IMHO if need be. I have purchased on e-bay and Amazon but ONLY from legit brick and mortar MOPAR dealers. Avoid all others except those and Genos.

You'll probably need an air filter as well and there's a great thread here on getting the correct one. 53034051AB

I would be cautious with Wix. My research of the filter data has taught me that they rarely ever have filtration ratings equal to the OEM filter. They will often only list nominal ratings, and not absolute. It’s deceptive marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread