Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower rear of 2500

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Need some opinions: Getting a small 5th wheel RV and need to lower back of my 2022 Laramie 2500 about 2" which would bring it down to level. Has anyone used the Kelderman Reverse level air bags?
Likes and dislikes? Have also heard "Coil Spring Specialties " can make custom springs that would lower truck 2" and maintain same ride and load as stock. Anyone done this. Links below.

Firebird

Reaction score
Need some opinions: Getting a small 5th wheel RV and need to lower back of my 2022 Laramie 2500 about 2" which would bring it down to level. Has anyone used the Kelderman Reverse level air bags?
Likes and dislikes? Have also heard "Coil Spring Specialties " can make custom springs that would lower truck 2" and maintain same ride and load as stock. Anyone done this. Links below.

Only thing I ever reverse lowered was my 2019 Ram 1500, and I absolutely loved it. All I had to swap out was the springs

mkmsr

Reaction score
Don't make any changes until you have the 5th wheel and confirmed you have a problem. Also you don't need 7+ inches of bed clearance, I'm running at 5 3/4" and have never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

woody284

Reaction score
Have heard nothing bad about the Kelderman. Another option is the Timber Groves 1.5 drop CRM bags. (Coil replacements). They have a compressor that mounts up front and can be set up for auto level. I have not seen any bad reviews of TG either. I have eyed this kit for a while now, but it’s just a want and not a need like you are seeing. May just take a look and compared. Another member did this kit and made post about it. The kit has been improved by TG since his post.

Last edited:

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Thanks for al the info, I am going with a small 5th wheel and several people on the RV site say they have the same Ram as me and they are riding very nose high when they raise the RV up to to get the 6" clearance needed. I am definitely going to wait until I get it and hook up to see for myself but if it running nose high I would rather lower truck 2" in back which would level it out than have to raise the RV suspension making the RV that much higher.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Don't make any changes until you have the 5th wheel and confirmed you have a problem. Also you don't need 7+ inches of bed clearance, I'm running at 5 3/4" and have never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, the RV company says I need 6" clearance. It seems the RV setting level is only 3" higher than my Truck, so if I'm lucky my truck will drop at least 2" when hooked up giving me 5" but would like to have a little more like you being closer to 6". So just wanted to have a backup plan incase.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Have heard nothing bad about the Kelderman. Another option is the Timber Groves 1.5 drop CRM bags. (Coil replacements). They have a compressor that mounts up front and can be set up for auto level. I have not seen any bad reviews of TG either. I have eyed this kick for a while now, but it’s just a want and not a need like you are seeing. May just take a look and compared. Another member did this kick and made post about it. The kick has been improved by TG since his post.
Sounds like the Timber grove is same set up that Keldeerman sells, the springs are replaced with bags. The only thing that scares me about this setup is if you get a leak in a bag or the system your not going anywhere until its fixed. That's why I am kind of thinking going with Coil Spring Specialties. they sell custom made springs for what ever drop you want and they are still rated same as your factory springs. So I could drop it 1 1/2 or 2" what ever may be needed and then add a set of add on air bags. Then I would have the best of both worlds and wouldn't have to worry about a air bag leak because the springs will work on their own. And this wouldn't cost any more then just the air bag replacement from Keldeerman.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks for al the info, I am going with a small 5th wheel and several people on the RV site say they have the same Ram as me and they are riding very nose high when they raise the RV up to to get the 6" clearance needed. I am definitely going to wait until I get it and hook up to see for myself but if it running nose high I would rather lower truck 2" in back which would level it out than have to raise the RV suspension making the RV that much higher.
Wait till you have the unit hooked to the truck its the only real way of knowing. Also 5” is fine clearance if you are not offorad with the truck and trailer. I have 7” after lifting my camper but i also go lots of places most wont even bring there trucks let alone a trailer lol

Finn5033

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of 1.75” drop coil springs from CSS keeping factory load capacity. Plan on putting them on this weekend. I run airlift loadlifter 5000 airbags as well. They go where the bump stops are outside the coils. They made a huge difference to me in how stable the rear end feels while towing.

You could get drop coils with extra load capacity to avoid too much squat

Blowenblu

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of 1.75” drop coil springs from CSS keeping factory load capacity. Plan on putting them on this weekend. I run airlift loadlifter 5000 airbags as well. They go where the bump stops are outside the coils. They made a huge difference to me in how stable the rear end feels while towing.

You could get drop coils with extra load capacity to avoid too much squat
That's the set up I'm thinking of going with if I have to lower truck.
I would love to her how it goes and what you think of them after install.
Have to let me know if it actually drops the 1.75 they say.

Finn5033

Reaction score
That's the set up I'm thinking of going with if I have to lower truck.
I would love to her how it goes and what you think of them after install.
Have to let me know if it actually drops the 1.75 they say.
I asked if it would be a true 1.75” drop and he said they would be. But I plan to take before and after measurements. I’ll report back, there is an old thread on reverse leveling that I posted to as well

woody284

Reaction score
I asked if it would be a true 1.75” drop and he said they would be. But I plan to take before and after measurements. I’ll report back, there is an old thread on reverse leveling that I posted to as well
Interested as well

woody284

Reaction score
Any updates? Before -after pics.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Ok quick update. Just got done installing the drop springs. Quick measurements taken afterward appear to have dropped the rear about 1.5 inches. I have about 1.25 inches of rake as it sits in the garage. I have not driven the truck yet and couldn’t really take any pictures in the garage. I took some before pictures outside earlier. I’ll get some after pictures and post some soon. I also need to find my before measurements and I’ll post everything up.

Finn5033

Reaction score
I drove the truck a couple hundred miles over the weekend and it did not settle at all. So I know a 1/4” is kind of splitting hairs but I think I get more like an 1-1/2” drop from the coils which is fine. First two picture are before, second two are afterIMG_2253.jpegIMG_2249.jpegIMG_2271.jpegIMG_2270.jpegIMG_2257.jpeg
I should add that I noticed no difference in how the truck rides. I’ll see how it is when I tow for the first time but honestly since I have the airbags I don’t expect that to be any different either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread