Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low fuel warning

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So I'm posting what's happened to me twice now in just the couple months since I've recieved the new built truck. I'm hoping that you can share your experiences so we can all know what is normal and what isn't and I'm sure along the way I'm going to get cussed out and lectured on how it isn't the Best idea to run the fuel system low like that. As much as my wife cusses me over it, I still do it.
I will now post what's in the user Manuel.
Low Fuel Warning Light : When the fuel level reaches approximately 3.2 gal (12 L) this light will turn on, and remain on until fuel is added. A single warning chime will sound with Low Fuel Warning.
Now to my situation. I have the 50 gallon tank from factory. Twice now when I've gotten below the theoretical approximate 3.2 gallons and where warning chime and fuel tank light, that supposed to stay on, didn't. Mine will give you the little chime and show you a low fuel gas can on the evic for just a couple seconds then go away. No low fuel light has ever come on and stayed on. I would think it would be by the fuel gauge somewhere but haven't seen it. I have definitely been low enough on fuel.
1st time run Low: pumped 49/50 gallons. Chime and very brief warning light only, no constant light on
2nd time run low: pumped 47.5/50 gallons. No chime or warning whatsoever
What is everyone else's experiences with the low fuel light and if there even is one as all I've seen is a warning light and chime that both lasts only a couple seconds then goes away?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Got the tiny fuel tank and I don't like fuel getting that low but circumstances on a trip last year had me pushing the range. Low fuel warning illuminated at less than an eighth on the gauge. That was a couple of minutes before I hit the pumps. She took 110 litres, which indicated the the warning system was pretty close to what the book says. The low fuel indicator on the EVIC remained on (lit) until the tank was filled.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Got the tiny fuel tank and I don't like fuel getting that low but circumstances on a trip last year had me pushing the range. Low fuel warning illuminated at less than an eighth on the gauge. That was a couple of minutes before I hit the pumps. She took 110 litres, which indicated the the warning system was pretty close to what the book says. The low fuel indicator on the EVIC remained on (lit) until the tank was filled.
Mine is completely opposite of yours. No light next to gauge and evic warning light didn't stay on for longer than a couple seconds. 49 gallon trip dead even on empty line and 47.5 gallon trip between 1/8th and empty. I by all means never Intend on making a fuel run but im that guy when we're traveling I keep passing up stations because I refuse to pay .40 c gallon higher than what it is at other places. If I thought putting a slim tank in behind my toolbox would make a difference I'd get it but I'd put myself in the same predicament . Just like have with going from the 32-50 gallon tank. I guess I'm stubborn for a fair deal

carlrx7

Reaction score
Are you pumping beyond the first click of the nozzle? if so, then that's how you are getting higher numbers by filling the expansion void and neck of the filler.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Are you pumping beyond the first click of the nozzle? if so, then that's how you are getting higher numbers by filling the expansion void and neck of the filler.
I do. I pack it full unless I'm only driving a couple miles to park it. Don't know how much would be in the neck but i honestly thought they figured that into the 50 gal figure. That would explain the chime taking so long to come on but still no answer to a low fuel light that stays on. With all the bells and whistles that this new truck makes, the time we made the 49 gallon trip, the warning chime and low fuel warning were so quick on the evic that I almost didn't even catch what made the noise before it went out. Plus the more I think of it, since I fill the neck, that shouldn't impact the delayed chime and quick warning. If it supposed to come on at around 3.2 gallons left, let's say for all intense purposes that's 1/8th off a tank left, then it should come on around that mark every time. The only impact packing the fill tube should have is the delay before the gauge comes off of full. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I do the same thing the TFL truck guys do on their mileage runs - and I always have. count 30 after the first click stop, then run it slow again until it stops. If you want accurate hand calculated fuel mileage, you have to do it the same way every time. I think doing the second run minimizes the effect different pump handle's shutoff can have. It's probably insignificant, but I do it just the same.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing the TFL truck guys do on their mileage runs - and I always have. count 30 after the first click stop, then run it slow again until it stops. If you want accurate hand calculated fuel mileage, you have to do it the same way every time. I think doing the second run minimizes the effect different pump handle's shutoff can have. It's probably insignificant, but I do it just the same.
I always trickle it in until I hear it getting close as Im pulling the nozzle half way out

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
All right now we're losing focus on all of this FUEL FILL PROCEDURE techniques, pervs. Back on topic with everybody's experiences with the low fuel light or in my case, the lack of a low fuel light. Don't tell me everyone on this site is old men who religiously fill up at half a tank aka missionary

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Rich, I wish I could tell you how mine is doing but, I haven't gone below 1/2 a tank yet. While the prices were low the past month or so, I was fueling up at just below 3/4's full trying to get the best price before the prices started back up..

I've been driving my Hot Rod around while I've been modifying my truck the past couple of weeks. I drove my truck back home yesterday and got a chip in the windshield on the passengers side and about a week or so earlier I ran down to the store to get something in the Ram and got a small door ding on one of my doors.. I guess I will be getting these things fixed sometime this week instead of getting the windows tinted.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich, I wish I could tell you how mine is doing but, I haven't gone below 1/2 a tank yet. While the prices were low the past month or so, I was fueling up at just below 3/4's full trying to get the best price before the prices started back up..

I've been driving my Hot Rod around while I've been modifying my truck the past couple of weeks. I drove my truck back home yesterday and got a chip in the windshield on the passengers side and about a week or so earlier I ran down to the store to get something in the Ram and got a small door ding on one of my doors.. I guess I will be getting these things fixed sometime this week instead of getting the windows tinted.
Omg dude, you can't win for losing ever since you ordered that thing, the first go around. I don't really want to spend 600 - 800 on an aux tank. We stop every 3 hrs & 250 miles so there's no reason I can't top it off, i just won't over pay for fuel and I hate wasting time looking for a deal. So I know I won't change no matter how big a tank i carry. I just want to know if my gauges aren't working properly based on everyone elses experiences. Where is this little so called low fuel light that supposed to stay on at

RVTRKN

Reaction score
With the CP4.2 injection pump, its not a good idea to allow running a low tank of fuel, it may allow small amounts air to enter the CP4.2 losing some lubrication. I only run 3/4's of a tank, at 1/4 tank mark I refill it. It sucks because I'm limited to less range, being I have the 35 gal tank.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
With the CP4.2 injection pump, its not a good idea to allow running a low tank of fuel, it may allow small amounts air to enter the CP4.2 losing some lubrication. I only run 3/4's of a tank, at 1/4 tank mark I refill it. It sucks because I'm limited to less range, being I have the 35 gal tank.
Yeah, i know. All I'm gonna do is make excuses because I'm not going to change. When your traveling, paying 40 cents a gallon less than the truck stops is not convenient or speedy and I won't over pay or waste any time hunting for fuel. Yes i know there's allot of fuel apps out there and they all suck. Like i said in the original post, I expect to get hammered on this and that's ok. I don't need to know if its good or bad and what can happen, I just need to know if my gauges and warnings are working properly because as I've said, I have never had a low fuel light come on and stay on where ever it supposed to come on at, I don't know. Excuse the sarcasm please.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ya, i wasn't hammering you, just thought I give some good advise, besides someone else might not be aware of the CP4.2 issue. I really miss my 07 C&C when I have to fill up more frequent than I used to. 54 gallon tank came in real handy when pulling heavy.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ya, i wasn't hammering you, just thought I give some good advise, besides someone else might not be aware of the CP4.2 issue. I really miss my 07 C&C when I have to fill up more frequent than I used to. 54 gallon tank came in real handy when pulling heavy.
Duelly noted sir. Apparently I'm to stubborn because that was the main reason we put off the 19 deal and waited for the 20 model. To get the big tank was supposed to give us some relief, and it has, the problem lies with me. I could probably have 100 gallons and run into the same problem :D . I'm must thinking maybe my low fuel light might not work. If in fact it comes on below an 1/8th tank than mine doesn't work. The 49 gallon fill i did, the needle was dead on the line, not below E like allot of automobiles. With me filling the neck, that can't be a gallon at most. So thats 2 gallons to spare. Light is supposed to come on at 3.2.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's kind of do a re boot here and keep it simple. The fuel gauge is on the bottom rt corner. Is that were this mystery low fuel light illuminates when you get around 3.2 gallons left.
Any other vehicle I've ever owned, the low fuel light comes on at the fuel gauge. As you know I haven't seen this light to know were it comes on at.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Now hemi, that's some damn good help. Thanks for your time and leg work on that. Very much appreciated my brother. I would of never thought the little gas can light light that stays on is in the upper lt by menu and not by the fuel gauge, who would of known. Now the big can and low fuel in the center is what came on for me for like 3 seconds and chimed then disappeared. If you look real close at the fuel gauge, its between an 1/8th and empty, so mine should of been on because it was flat across covering up the red line.

Tom716

Reaction score

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich, This is exactly what mine does and it stays on. I am not sure if mine does this at 3.2 gallons or a certain mileage left to go. I am nearing 1/4 tank now so I will pay attention and take a picture for you.
Tyvm Tom. So the big picture in the center goes out after a few seconds and the little can light on the lt stays on, correct???

Users who are viewing this thread