Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud clunk on startup

mglade

Reaction score
I have a new Ram 2500.. about 1000 miles on the clock.
Occasionally there will be a loud “clunk” just as the engine catches on startup. It’s very brief and then all is normal. It also doesn’t happen every time... maybe once out of every 5 starts or so... seemingly random.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what it could be.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
When I first got my truck it did something like that when I first got it. I would come running uo to a red light out stop sign and stop and quickly and get back to the fuel when nobody was coming and it was like there was nothing there( dead pedal) , then it would clunk into gear and go. It did that between 18-2500 miles on odometer and eventually quit doing it, the catch up like in neutral then clunk into gear. Doesn't do that at all anymore, ( currently at 7000 miles) don't know if it just learning my driving style or the tranny got broke in. Now I still have real bad dead pedal on all take offs. It's horrible, feel like I'm going to get into an accident on take off. I dont want to break torque it and I'm not going to add the dead pedal plug in fix it device untill warranty is up, but thats probably my number 1 complaint. I want to hit the pedal and feel the 1000ftlbs tq running through my veins, not chity chit bang bang. Does this sound comparable to your issue

mglade

Reaction score
When I first got my truck it did something like that when I first got it. I would come running uo to a red light out stop sign and stop and quickly and get back to the fuel when nobody was coming and it was like there was nothing there( dead pedal) , then it would clunk into gear and go. It did that between 18-2500 miles on odometer and eventually quit doing it, the catch up like in neutral then clunk into gear. Doesn't do that at all anymore, ( currently at 7000 miles) don't know if it just learning my driving style or the tranny got broke in. Now I still have real bad dead pedal on all take offs. It's horrible, feel like I'm going to get into an accident on take off. I dont want to break torque it and I'm not going to add the dead pedal plug in fix it device untill warranty is up, but thats probably my number 1 complaint. I want to hit the pedal and feel the 1000ftlbs tq running through my veins, not chity chit bang bang. Does this sound comparable to your issue
Mine happens at engine start. Just at the moment that the engines fires. Transmission in park.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Nope... no noises at start up at all on my end...

matzke

Reaction score
Mine did that yesterday, in the Lowe’s parking lot, was the first time so thought I was hearing things but did look around like a cart hit me or something. Until your post I wasn’t going to pay it much attention but now I’ll be listening close every time I start her up! I’m at about 3200 miles on mine.

TDRamOH

Reaction score
I was glad I found this thread because mine has done this on occasion. In fact, I thought about positing the question as well. Not frequent, but does happen and is a bit concerning. Would love to know what it is. It's one of those things where it would be futile to take to the dealer because it's nearly impossible to replicate. I am trying to notice a pattern, if any, of when it happens.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Bumping this thread, as I have noticed this on occasion. Mainly notice it after its been sitting a day or so.

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
I’ve had the same thing happen to me once on start up around 5,000. I’m now at 8,400 and have not heard it since.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
I’ve had the same thing happen to me once on start up around 5,000. I’m now at 8,400 and have not heard it since.
Thanks for the input, I have read it correlates with keeping the brake pedal depressed during the start cycle. I have been keeping it short as possible, so far so good:)

silver billet

Reaction score
Many of us with the 5th gen 1500's have this problem. Try keep your foot of the brake when the engine catches. So press lightly just to get the truck to begin to start, but release the brake while engine is cranking and before it fires off.

whitexc

Reaction score
A little over 800 miles and my truck has the start thud. I will try the brake pedal trick.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
Many of us with the 5th gen 1500's have this problem. Try keep your foot of the brake when the engine catches. So press lightly just to get the truck to begin to start, but release the brake while engine is cranking and before it fires off.
You know, I specifically remember being in a hurry and jumping into the truck and trying to start it quick when this happened… I can’t if the brake pedal wasn’t pressed far enough, let off to fast, let off the button too fast, etc, but I remember I was in a hurry lol.

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
Not sure if this the same noise as you are hearing. At times mine made a noise on start up. My truck has approx 4500 miles on it. It also had a rough idle and it started using a lot of fuel. I finally figured it out. It was a backfire. The exhaust resonator muffled the noise to where it sounded like a clunk. To make a long story short my truck is in the shop getting a long block put in it. It has a lifter and cam problem that sent metal shavings through the oil. I hope to have it back by Friday. I just want to give a shout out to Chrysler Customer Care, Ram Cares, and the dealer for doing a excellent job with assisting me with this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread