Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loosing Trailer Brakes

DieselJ

Reaction score
Need some help with a braking issue before I lose my mind.

Trailer: 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES 5th wheel. We are the second owner and used it from Jan to Oct without issue last year.

Truck: 2022 Ram 3500 DW Diesel – 4,800 miles new

• Took the trailer into a Grand Design Dealer for a recall on Refrigerator wiring harness; while there they did an inspection, repacked bearings, replaced backing plate on Drivers side front wheel.
  • First Trip of season – No issues
  • Second trip of season Trailer brakes “disconnected” appeared on truck console. I pulled to the side of Hwy and verified all connectors were secure and lights at rear of vehicle work as expected. We were 20min away from camp so just got back on the Hwy and took it slow. The brakes were intermittent, coming and going with no rhyme or reason. By the time I arrived at camp, the brakes were working fine, so I couldn’t isolate if it was the truck or trailer.
  • While on “Vacation” I took the truck to the local Ram dealer who checked it out and said the truck looks good, but it did store a code – C10C7-19 “Electronic Brake controller output-over current”. In short, they told me it’s the trailer’s fault.
  • Had a mobile RV tech come out to camp who did visual inspection of the underbody, took apart connections at pin box and reconnected (but said everything looked tight). He was thinking it has more to do with a poor connection between the 7 pin blades. He bent the blades a bit to make a tighter connection.
  • End of vacation – 5 minutes on the road and the brakes go out again. I moved the 7 pin connection from the bed of the truck to the bumper – still no brakes. I decided I would drive her home cautiously and then straight to the Grand Design RV Dealer. Once on the Hwy, the brakes started working again and it was smooth sailing the whole way home and to the RV dealer.
  • Picked up the trailer today. The dealer said there was a clip “missing” on the right rear brake to hold the magnet in place, but no other issues were found ($300 for a $1 dollar clip). 40 minutes into my drive home the brakes when out again and very quickly came right back on. That is until I was at my exit. The second I stepped on the brakes the light came on the I lost brakes. Fortunately, this truck is a beast and was able to keep me on the road and the people in front of me from becoming pancakes. But this is dangerous.
I’m getting beyond frustrated at this situation. I called Grand Design RV manufacturer who said I should take the Trailer to an automotive shop next. Are you Kidding me???? I’m considering purchasing an Electric Brake force Meter off Amazon and Drive the truck around for a week to see if I get the error while I drive without the trailer connected. But outside of that I’m running out of ideas.

Any help would be appreciated gang.

I’m going to cross post this to Grand Design RV forum and Ram Forums and will update with links.

22limited

Reaction score
I had a very similar situation with my raptor this year hundred feet from home, said trailer disconnected I pulled the underbelly and found a pinched wire that feeds the brakes.

Firebird

Reaction score
My 2019 did it all the time, never could figure it out. My 2021 has done it twice in 27,000 miles, I think it's some kind of defect with Ram?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You have a molded OEM plug on the trailer? If so the solution is only about 7$!

These trucks have issues with the molded plugs like the one on the left just change out the 7 pin to the style on the right and you will have no more issues. Its a common issue. I have had the issue on 2 different trailers swapped both plugs then problem solved. I still have one trailer running the molded plug its fairly new so no issues yet but its just a matter of time until that plug needs replacing as well.
IMG_8778.jpeg

Last edited:

DieselJ

Reaction score
You have a molded OEM plug on the trailer? If so the solution is only about 7$!

These trucks have issues with the molded plugs like the one on the left just change out the 7 pin to the style on the right.

Boy, that would have been a nice fix but the trailer uses the plug style on the right.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Boy, that would have been a nice fix but the trailer uses the plug style on the right.
If thats the case the next likely thing is the brake wires that goes through the axle tubes rub through and short out the usual fix if it is that is just run the new connecting wires on the outside of the axle tube.

areuriding

Reaction score
Is there a minimum voltage required for brakes to work? I know some things require a minimum amount or it causes all kinds of issues. If it does it would be in the wiring and you'll need to inspect every inch. I went through this for an electrical issue on my Redeye and it was a nightmare.

DieselJ

Reaction score
If thats the case the next likely thing is the brake wires that goes through the axle tubes rub through and short out the usual fix if it is that is just run the new connecting wires on the outside of the axle tube.
Perhaps my problem is that I don't know my left from my right.... My trailer plug is the one on the Left in the Pic above. I did call a second RV place today who also mentioned this issue where the wires in the axle rub and fray. Thanks for the suggestions!

DieselJ

Reaction score
Is there a minimum voltage required for brakes to work? I know some things require a minimum amount or it causes all kinds of issues. If it does it would be in the wiring and you'll need to inspect every inch. I went through this for an electrical issue on my Redeye and it was a nightmare.
The dealer I went to while on vacation mentioned that the newer trucks with the integrated controller are very sensitive to wiring issues so I guess just a fraying wire could be my culprit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Perhaps my problem is that I don't know my left from my right.... My trailer plug is the one on the Left in the Pic above. I did call a second RV place today who also mentioned this issue where the wires in the axle rub and fray. Thanks for the suggestions!
If its the one on the left (with the 2 tabs per slot) swap it out to the single tab one like the right. Its the number one issue with the rams

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
If its the one on the left (with the 2 tabs per slot) swap it out to the single tab one like the right. Its the number one issue with the rams

Had to replace first thing on my old Doghouse travel trailer..smooth sailing ever since. Slips into my truck-hole like butter vs the old, also.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Had to replace first thing on my old Doghouse travel trailer..smooth sailing ever since. Slips into my truck-hole like butter vs the old, also.

Those are the ones i use i get them almost at cost from my local auto parts store. I usually have 2 of them in my tool box and one under the seat in the truck just in case when I'm towing someone else's trailer lol. Curt seems to fit the best and i believe the 7pin receptical on the truck is made by Curt for RAM

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Those are the ones i use i get them almost at cost from my local auto parts store. I usually have 2 of them in my tool box and one under the seat in the truck just in case when I'm towing someone else's trailer lol. Curt seems to fit the best and i believe the 7pin receptical on the truck is made by Curt for RAM

Trailer disconnected…..PW was driving me nuts when I got it, read about the plug on here.
Worth the price of admission, this site.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Great read here on how the integrated controller works. Post #13 is worth the price of admission.

JABAR357

Reaction score
Check the 7-pin wire harness from the truck bumper to the bed receptacle. I the factory did not install the wiring harness correctly. The connector behind the taillight was opened, I secured the cables harness and covered the exposed wires.

DieselJ

Reaction score
Check the 7-pin wire harness from the truck bumper to the bed receptacle. I the factory did not install the wiring harness correctly. The connector behind the taillight was opened, I secured the cables harness and covered the exposed wires.
Worth a look at, but the brakes were non functional at both the bumper and the bed.

DieselJ

Reaction score
Thi
Great read here on how the integrated controller works. Post #13 is worth the price of admission.

This post is Gold. Thanks for the link!

CdnHO

Reaction score
This is posted on the Ram Body Builder website. Since you have an "over current" fault code, I would also be looking for a short. The wires inside the axle tubes have been known to rub through and short out on the metal axle. Crappy design in my opinion.

Attachments

• Trailer Connector Compatibility.pdf
    174 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread