Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loose shift lever fix

Reaction score
Not taking credit for this, as I saw it on Youtube a few weeks ago, but decided to try it myself last night. Since i've owned my 3500 for the past year, i've always had quite a bit of play in the column shifter. Well, there's a super-easy fix for that: carefully pull off the rubber boot around the shifter. Inside where the column attaches to the shift mechanism is a 10mm bolt attaching it. Long story short, it was loose enough to turn almost a full turn. Took care of all the play & nice and solid now. Tighten & replace the rubber boot - took all of 30 seconds for the whole procedure. For anyone with a loose column shifter, hopefully this helps.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I had to submit to the dealer's technical prowess (LOL) last July - the shifter was near ready fall out of the column. It's mind boggling that owners are still dealing with this crap.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Did this fix twice and column shifter loosens after a while.....gonna try the loctite approach and see what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread