Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking into buying a 3rd gen 5.9l Ram

BMWDIESELPOWERED

Reaction score
Hi everyone, l'm looking into buying a 3rd gen Ram 5.9l Cummins. I'm a big BMW enthusiasts and currently own a X5 diesel. I also own a 2003 Dodge Dakota which I'm looking to replace with the Ram. I love my diesel X5, shes a 3.0 inline 6. I purchased her last year from California. Zero rust, impeccable undercarriage. I live in the Midwest so I do not use her in the winter. I brought the Dakota to use to haul stuff around for my house projects and winter use. Want to replace the Dakota with the Ram 2500 5.9l. So my question is what should I be looking for when overlooking the engine? What mileage should I stay clear of? Anything special I should be looking for? And whats the highest mileage 2500s you guys have heard of? TIA.

CdnHO

Reaction score
As far as the engine goes, a well maintained Cummins will outlast the rest of the truck. I would definitely ask for the maintenance records.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Aslong as it is less than 1 million miles i would not be worried just pull the oil cap and place it back down upside down as its running and make sure it does not have excessive blow by other than that the cummins is great…. The most miles i have seen in person is 1.8millon KM (1.2Million miles) original engine

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I sold my 07 5.9 last March. I miss that truck. It only had a 117K on it. Very solid trucks. I have a friend who has ordered a 22. He will be looking to sell his 2005 5.9 once he receives his new truck.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I miss my 3rd gen. I put 200k miles of hard labor on that truck. smarty on kill most of the time. normal maintenance and 1 clutch are all I ever had to worry about on it. front end broght the sucketh, that's for sure.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll want to focus on blow by as said and the trans.

2006 would probably be the best year if you're looking for a pre-def truck.

Many have death wobble especially lifted trucks. Personally, I'd run away from just about any lifted truck. or beat up ranch truck Upgraded steering to 2008.5+ or aftermarket solid wheel-wheel bar setup are best.

I had 72K on my 04.5 HO 2500 QCLB when I sold it May 2020 for $20K. Could have used a trans rebuild. Other than that the only prior issue was a warped/cracked exhaust manifold and turbine exhaust housing leak, probably from running hot tunes with a POS Edge Juice. Put on a 2-piece manf and fixed the turbo. AFAIK, truck is still going strong for the buyer who turned it into a welding rig to tow a 10-12K work trailer.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
You'll want to focus on blow by as said and the trans.

2006 would probably be the best year if you're looking for a pre-def truck.

Many have death wobble especially lifted trucks. Personally, I'd run away from just about any lifted truck. or beat up ranch truck Upgraded steering to 2008.5+ or aftermarket solid wheel-wheel bar setup are best.

I had 72K on my 04.5 HO 2500 QCLB when I sold it May 2020 for $20K. Could have used a trans rebuild. Other than that the only prior issue was a warped/cracked exhaust manifold and turbine exhaust housing leak, probably from running hot tunes with a POS Edge Juice. Put on a 2-piece manf and fixed the turbo. AFAIK, truck is still going strong for the buyer who turned it into a welding rig to tow a 10-12K work trailer.

I would add early 2007 to your list. The first 1/2 year had 5.9s. Also, I would not discount a truck that had a quality suspension system installed. Most of the DW issues will have been sorted out with a quality aftermarket suspension.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
04.5 to early 07 models are da bestest! megacab with business console.

BMWDIESELPOWERED

Reaction score
Hi guys, I ran into a 2004 Ram 2500 quad cab with 248,000 miles. Has two issues, has a parasitic draw (disconnects battery at night to prevent drain) and 4x4 doesn't work. Guy wants $4500 firm. It has a Bully Dog tuner, a hitch in the bed and rear. Some rust and dents. What do you guys think?

AH const

Reaction score
If it was me I would pass. You might have to invest a lot of money to get it running good. If you have the funds spend some more on a truck where everything works good.

BMWDIESELPOWERED

Reaction score
I would do the work myself. I have plenty of experience and the tools to fix those issues. The motor is solid and trans was rebuilt in 2018.

whitexc

Reaction score
Check the glove box light.....the button/switch for mine had broken off inside the glove box, keeping the light on and drawing the batteries down.

In my opinion....sounds like you could beat him up some on the price and do the work yourself. I would check the oil cap/blowby issue out and if the engine is solid I may grab it. What are your expectations of this truck? I hope not much.....then it may surprise you.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
4x4 could be a costly fix but for that price it sounds like a decent deal

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
$4500 is a good price for a 3rd gen if it has good bones. If it has a lot of rust I would walk away. Has the trans been worked on? If not you should add in another 5-6K on top of the transfer case work. If you have to put in more than 10K plus your valuable time you may want to look for a cleaner truck.

BMWDIESELPOWERED

Reaction score
$4500 is a good price for a 3rd gen if it has good bones. If it has a lot of rust I would walk away. Has the trans been worked on? If not you should add in another 5-6K on top of the transfer case work. If you have to put in more than 10K plus your valuable time you may want to look for a cleaner truck.
Its a Georgia truck and the frame and under carriage looks good. Typical surface rust, nothing serious. According to the seller, trans was rebult in 2018. I have a few ideas what might be causing the no 4x4, but I'm not sure what the worst case would be.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its a Georgia truck and the frame and under carriage looks good. Typical surface rust, nothing serious. According to the seller, trans was rebult in 2018. I have a few ideas what might be causing the no 4x4, but I'm not sure what the worst case would be.
3rd gens are simple systems either the front axle or the transfer case unless he does not have the front drive shaft

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As far as Center Axle Disconnect (CAD);

Vacuum CAD 94-01
No CAD 02-12
Electric CAD 13+
Who said it had a cad? When i said axle i should have said the differential…. Unless ofcouse there is a broken front axle shaft at the splines

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Who said it had a cad? When i said axle i should have said the differential…. Unless ofcouse there is a broken front axle shaft at the splines

Nobody, just pointing it out. It was added back on 3rd gens after the 13 update.

Users who are viewing this thread