Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for new tires for the 3500 SRW

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
The time has come to start looking for new tires for my 3500 SRW Toe Pig, I hate the way the factory Firestones handle with a trailer in tow plus they are about gone with 22k miles.
I'm thinking about going to the 295\60\20 and as of now the Michelin LTX M\S is at the top of my list, Tires like everything else have skyrocketed in price, the LTXs are $350 in that size while most other name brand tires are $400 - $500.
What does everyone think about the Michelins for heavy towing? or any other recommendations? I don't need an off road tire.

Attachments

• IMG_5555.JPG
    IMG_5555.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Michelins are great towing!

if they made a more agressive A/T i would buy them again but they don't make a tire suited to my needs

Godzilla

Reaction score
I've been driving Dodge Ram diesels for 20 years and Defender LTX M/S, and it's predecessor, same tire pretty much without the Defender name and maybe a slightly different rubber compound, have been what I have always run. I tow often and it's usually fairly heavy; my tires are 295/70/18. The tires perform really well towing, no surprises at all. When towing, I inflate the rears to 80 and the fronts to 70. They do pretty well in the snow, I have a set of semi-truck chains that I cut to length and I use them on the front wheels when it gets bad. Rain performance is just fine. They run very quiet and smooth - air them down when running empty... I go 65 front/55 rear. I generally see about 40-50k miles per set and rotate/balance every 5k miles with Discount Tire.

Tlpollock

Reaction score
I've been driving Dodge Ram diesels for 20 years and Defender LTX M/S, and it's predecessor, same tire pretty much without the Defender name and maybe a slightly different rubber compound, have been what I have always run. I tow often and it's usually fairly heavy; my tires are 295/70/18. The tires perform really well towing, no surprises at all. When towing, I inflate the rears to 80 and the fronts to 70. They do pretty well in the snow, I have a set of semi-truck chains that I cut to length and I use them on the front wheels when it gets bad. Rain performance is just fine. They run very quiet and smooth - air them down when running empty... I go 65 front/55 rear. I generally see about 40-50k miles per set and rotate/balance every 5k miles with Discount Tire.
I am stuck trying to decide to order the 18 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels.
I will be towing a 5th wheel occasionally. Will the 18’s ride smoother because of a larger sidewall or are they squirmy because of the sidewall ?

Godzilla

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that 18s will ride smoother but I can’t say for sure as I’ve never had a truck with them. I didn’t want 20s, glad the truck I got didn’t have them.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I am stuck trying to decide to order the 18 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels.
I will be towing a 5th wheel occasionally. Will the 18’s ride smoother because of a larger sidewall or are they squirmy because of the sidewall ?
The 18's definitely ride smoother and do not squirm around unless you go to big. I did the 35x12.5-18 on mine and my son did the 35x12.5-20 on his . He wishes after riding with me especially when towing he would have gone with 18" because less rubber on the sidewall equals less cushion over the bumps. I have never liked the big wheels and short tires but you will find plenty of people on here that disagree. In the end its whatever you like best but just wanted to throw out my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread