Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at ordering a 2022 3500 SRW

NickinColorado

Reaction score
Nick,

When I spec'd my truck, I went back and forth on what options are worth the "extra" money. Search online for the 2021 HD Ram catalog, it will breakdown the additional options that are in some of the packages the Ram HD config site does not cover. Additionally, the config site now lists the package codes. So having the catalog will also help identifying what and what is not included. I spec'd my CC Laramie with all of my must haves with very few of the required package add-ons...if any.

Remember your previous post about weight and capacity...a Limited is going to provide many of those little add-ons that also add weight.

You can find my build sheet in one of my previous posts...I am new like you...so there are not too many.

Be safe,
Randy
Thank you for this. I found your build sheet and ours will be very similar!

NickinColorado

Reaction score
Quick note - mechanical, electrical, optical, etc. systems which are variable are normally optimized in their mid-range. Examples include things such as variable lenses for cameras - they are clearest with most contrast, etc. in the middle. Audio amplifiers - noise down low, distortion up high, etc. Now a trucks suspension system is quite the same - maybe very firm while empty or sagging and close to being overloaded at maximum weight.

My suggestion is that since your trailer weight is 10k I would not consider a truck that has a towing capacity just a little bit more. If I was dragging 10k around I would be looking for a truck designed to pull 15-20k. Personally, I purchased a 3500 with a 4k payload capacity since I knew I would be hauling around 2k in the back all the time. She feels perfect.
I don’t understand. The truck I’m looking to spec has a payload of around 3900 and a tow rating just under 20k? Or are you referring to the F150? If so I agree… I’m sold on the need for the 1 ton.

Last edited:

bfs673

Reaction score
With respect to the Limited versus Laramie,
I went with the Limited. Just went crazy and checked every option when I ordered (minus the sunroof).

Only regrets:
NONE on the limited package.

The leather quality is great. The Aux switches do come in handy (Have a dash cam wired and ability to add many more things).
The rear air is helpful. I like the auto-level. Installed airbags on my last truck with remote air pump. Worked great; this is better as it's "automatic".
The alternate trailer height is useful for my fifth wheel.

The trailer TPMS and trailer camera options were a waste. Can't use the TPMS on my Aluminum trailer wheels (too thick for the sensors to install), and the camera is VERY expensive and quality mediocre.

Best of luck sir!

NickinColorado

Reaction score
Well... Curve ball today. I found a 3500 to drive- A 2020 Loaded Laramie 3500 that was on the Carmax lot with only 6000 miles. I'm 5'11.5" and with a hat on my head, my head firmly touches the roof of the truck with the seat all the way down. Even with my hat off if I sit upright I can touch the ceiling. My F150 has at least 2" room. It did have a sunroof but I'm nervous it won't be that big of a difference even without. Seems like a huge error on Ram's part.

I then went and drove an F250 Tremor diesel afterwards with the 10 speed. It was.... very nice. Interior felt huge in comparison. Tough decisions. I have a friend who put me in touch with the VP of the local Ford dealer. Tomorrow I might try and find a Ram that doesn't have a sunroof to sit in. Anyone care to comment on head room in sunroof vs no sunroof? I definitely don't want a sunroof in the truck I order.

bfs673

Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on head room in sunroof vs no sunroof? I definitely don't want a sunroof in the truck I order.
I'm 5'11".
I had a '14 with the sunroof and found the roof height to be terrible. Couldn't wear a hat.

Ordered a '21 without sunroof; huge difference.

No issues with interior space.
Test drove the Ford before ordering. Really liked the power train, but the Ram had it beat for interior.

Both can pull a house... And the some.

Both were quiet and comfortable to drive.

Happy with my choice in the Ram. Love the Cummins, interior is great, seats very comfortable during long 10+ hour drives and is my daily driver.

Best of luck with your decision!

NickinColorado

Reaction score
That’s great news. I’m going to try find a non sunroof model to sit in tomorrow before making any decisions.

Reaction score
Just make sure you do your research on the two major issues that finally made me decide to walk away from the 2021 F350 I had originally ordered last year: Death Wobble & 10-Speed Transmission Problems.

Ford is attempting to get to the bottom of the transmission problems they are having but I would wait another year or two to make sure. One thing the Ford has over the Ram is the passenger legroom in the back seat area. Im definitely not a fan of their choice to use the CP4 pump.

There is a noticeable difference in headroom between a truck with and without a sunroof. I was happy when I built my 22 3500 Laramie I could make sure I didn’t get the sunroof which I never use anyways.

Ultimately I picked the Ram for the bombproof Cummins/Aisin combo, hands down the best interior, solid styling, and performance capabilities.

I’m not brand loyal between Ram/Ford/GM and have owned vehicles from each manufacturer and while each has their own shortcomings, I picked the Ram because I firmly believe it is the best all around truck being made currently.

BikePilot

Reaction score
I really like the Ford cab and their gas power trains. If I weren’t after a megacab or a Cummins I personally would go with the Ford. The ram without the sunroof seems to have a surprising amount more headroom and is definitely how I’m ordering mine.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ford interior is trash (where you spend most of your time). I’ll agree on the engines. The 10 speed transmissions are having MANY problems too. Research it.

My 2021 DRW is non sunroof and I’m 5’11. I have TONS of headroom and this is a complete non issue.

in 2021, Ram is the truck to buy and the only one you can even get a deal on these days.

NickinColorado

Reaction score
Good news! There’s at least 2-3” above my head in the non-sunroof model. Seems kind of crazy! Back in the Ram camp although the Ford tremor package is still really nice. From what I can tell the tranny issues should be fixed for 2022, all the threads I have found were from 2020. I’m waiting on a call from a regional manager from Ford who is a friend of a friend. If he can’t match the deal from Aaron/Sandi locally I’ll be putting my order in for the Ram today. If he can make me a similar offer from a local dealership it’s going to be a tough decision.

NickinColorado

Reaction score
I really like the Ford cab and their gas power trains. If I weren’t after a megacab or a Cummins I personally would go with the Ford. The ram without the sunroof seems to have a surprising amount more headroom and is definitely how I’m ordering mine.

The F250 with 7.3 is appealing for the payload for sure. Almost 3000lb, or 1000lb more than a Cummins equipped 2500. Watching tow videos up the Ike here in Colorado makes me not interested though. It holds the speed limit but only with the motor above 5000rpm. You can’t beat a turbo vehicle in the mountains. Whatever I order will be a 1 ton.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Forced induction is the only choice at elevation. N/A gas motor shouldnt even be a consideration IMO, but youll get plenty from the peanut farm that assert otherwise. Their tune changes when they hook 10k to the bumper and realize they wont see better than 45 mph uphill at 10,000 feet,

PapaJoe

Reaction score
The F250 with 7.3 is appealing for the payload for sure. Almost 3000lb, or 1000lb more than a Cummins equipped 2500. Watching tow videos up the Ike here in Colorado makes me not interested though. It holds the speed limit but only with the motor above 5000rpm. You can’t beat a turbo vehicle in the mountains. Whatever I order will be a 1 ton.
1/2 ton is HS ball. 3/4 ton is College ball. 1 Ton is Pro ball.
RAM 2500 is coil spring. 3500 leaf spring. verrrrrrrry different.
For those wanting to tame the 3500 suspension, go study up on the Carli 2.5 Pintop kit for RAM 3500.

aterza

Reaction score
My uses for my future truck are similar to yours so I'll add a few thoughts...take it with a grain of salt as my truck is currently on order but I previously had a 2500 followed by a 3500 DRW with air ride and now I have a 3500 SRW w/ air ride on order. The reason I did the 3500 DRW is I also have an Arctic Fox truck camper...but my family has out grown it so it's getting displaced.

1) I'm glad your doing your research on the hitch weights for the ORVs...as you stated...ORV is know to have very high hitch wights once fully configured. The model I'm looking at is the 21DBS and owners are reporting hitch weights of 1200#~1300# before they even get to max trailer weight...I remember reading someone stating they had 1/2 a tank of fresh water and scaled it at 1200#...which most don't expect for a 21' class trailer. I've read of a few people had to get new tow rigs because they didn't expect such a high hitch weight. I would expect something similar for the trailer you are looking to get...prob keep that in mind when you are purchasing your wt. dist. hitch as well.
2) The payload ratings are a bit conservative on the modern RAM 2500s but only you can decide if you are comfortable exceeding those numbers. As you mentioned, many people do, some out of ignorance some out of calculated risk to get that "better" ride quality. Ride quality is very subjective, I personally didn't mind the day to day ride of the 1 ton and would (and have) daily drive my truck but my other vehicles tend to have suspensions that are valved more aggressively and have a bit of "platform" to them (you mentioned MTB so I'm hoping you understand the reference) so they tend to ride "harsh" or firm to most people. Even with the air ride, unless you decide to go the carli route in the future, plush will never be a descriptor used for the ride quality.
3) Similar to DRAGRAM, toyed with using the alt ride height but eventually didn't bother with it
4) I agree, an often overlooked huge plus of the CTD is the exhaust brake...the drama free decents are worth the price of admission.
5) Be mindful that your 15 mile commute is actually a bad thing when it comes to a CTD. I wouldn't use it as a reason to go gasser, probably much to do about nothing for most people...if anything it will give you an excuse to do your weekend ride.
6) I personally have toyed with the idea but loading a motorcycle into the bed of a truck using ramps gives me enough anxiety so it has been nothing more than an idea. I have seen pictures of people but no one I know has tried, putting on a diamongback cover and loading their bikes ontop of that...seems very iffy to me but something to think about if you need the bed storage for large coolers and such.
7) One last thing, if you are one to modify your vehicles, the rear air makes suspension modifications a bit of a challenge. Not saying it cannot be done but you have to be more thoughtful because it's not as common and aftermarket support isn't as wide spread. (i.e. aftermarket shock options are limited, etc).

Long story short...you are going down a similar path as me...my answer was a 3500 Mega Cab CTD SRW.
I was reading through this thread and all the replies. I was curious for your reasoning on #5. Where the 15 min commute is a bad thing? Thanks for any further insight. FYI, I have never owned a diesel but considering it and am trying to learn as much as I can before I make a final decision, which is still 3+ years away.

MarcG

Reaction score
I was reading through this thread and all the replies. I was curious for your reasoning on #5. Where the 15 min commute is a bad thing? Thanks for any further insight. FYI, I have never owned a diesel but considering it and am trying to learn as much as I can before I make a final decision, which is still 3+ years away.

It has to do with the emissions systems, it's not the end of the world because the systems have gotten better at dealing with various driving patterns but the system needs to get to operating temperature to do its thing. In OP case he goes on extended drives on the weekend, allowing the emissions system time to do its thing.

PapaJoe

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on Laramie vs Limited? There's a $4,000 difference between the two I have spec'd.
Laramie is the sweet spot.

You are on track with the 3500 regarding payload and towing; I arrived at same conclusion for much the same reasons.
I urge you to watch some CJC Offroad videos specific to 3500 builds done in past year or so. Carli has a kit for 3500s that provides a lot of benefits on a 3500... a "best of both worlds" scenario... even with air bags if desired.

One question.... why are you not getting the DRW?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Laramie is the sweet spot.

You are on track with the 3500 regarding payload and towing; I arrived at same conclusion for much the same reasons.
I urge you to watch some CJC Offroad videos specific to 3500 builds done in past year or so. Carli has a kit for 3500s that provides a lot of benefits on a 3500... a "best of both worlds" scenario... even with air bags if desired.

One question.... why are you not getting the DRW?

Lots of creature features being dropped on all but the Limited.

ACC, Lane Assist, Night edition, etc.

If you haven't already put in an order and got locked in on features, it's too late now.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Lots of creature features being dropped on all but the Limited.

ACC, Lane Assist, Night edition, etc.

If you haven't already put in an order and got locked in on features, it's too late now.

That's what I found too.

How do I actually find what's orderable? The sites I checked online seemed to be incorrect (cars.com, etc) and there's no configurator online yet that I can find for '22s.

Bigred6.7

Reaction score
Here are some screenshots that Andrea provided me on Sunday for current Laramie packages. Looks like no tech options available now.

IMG_8192.jpg
IMG_8191.jpg
IMG_8190.jpg
IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread