Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a 2018

WXman

Reaction score
Looking at a 2018 model Tradesman 2500 with Cummins. 100,000 miles exactly on the odo. I drove the truck and the steering feels tight with no slop, brakes feel great, engine starts and runs great and seems to have good power compared to some used ones I’ve driven. Truck has typical dirty interior and scratches/dents here and there that you find on these HD trucks at this age but overall it’s one of the nicer specimens I have been able to find under $40k. Is there anything on the 2018 specifically that I need to be looking for or watch out for?

flan

Reaction score
Looking at a 2018 model Tradesman 2500 with Cummins. 100,000 miles exactly on the odo. I drove the truck and the steering feels tight with no slop, brakes feel great, engine starts and runs great and seems to have good power compared to some used ones I’ve driven. Truck has typical dirty interior and scratches/dents here and there that you find on these HD trucks at this age but overall it’s one of the nicer specimens I have been able to find under $40k. Is there anything on the 2018 specifically that I need to be looking for or watch out for?
Other than 40k for a truck with 100k it sounds about right. Used vehicle prices still blow my mind, my 19 was 46k new so to see 40k with those stats makes me shake my head. See if there’s any maintenance records, specifically fluid changes on engine and trans. Rest of the truck is pretty stout.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
2018 is a good year i would not hesitate.

My 2018 was a HO 3500, so not fully apples to apples, but the build quality was excellent and wouldn’t hesitate to own that truck again.

It is a crazy market. Bought my 18 used at 3 months old with 3K miles on it. I traded it in 3.5 years later with just under 52K miles for more than I bought it for.

Even with buying new, I’m pretty sure my 22 is still worth more than I paid for it.

Crazy time for trucks… and camping trailers. There are 3-5 year old tent trailers selling for more than we bought out used, but not old or beat up, 5th wheel for 3 years ago.

BikePilot

Reaction score
18s are great trucks. I personally wouldn't buy a diesel 2500 as the payload is quite low and can be really limiting. Make sure it can do whatever you want to do with it before you buy. It varies with cab configuration, but it's going to be in th neighborhood of a 2k lbs payload most likely while a SRW 3500 will be around 4k lbs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
18s are great trucks. I personally wouldn't buy a diesel 2500 as the payload is quite low and can be really limiting. Make sure it can do whatever you want to do with it before you buy. It varies with cab configuration, but it's going to be in th neighborhood of a 2k lbs payload most likely while a SRW 3500 will be around 4k lbs.
Payload is not a legal weight limit only a truck classification limit for registration only..

Users who are viewing this thread