Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking RSI Smart Cap From The Inside [Workaround]

JamesEvan

Reaction score
I am planning on sleeping in my truck bed until I pick up a RTT when traveling and the current iteration of RSI's latches do not lock from the inside, nor unlock as the tensioner is behind a plate facing externally. RSI is currently working on new locks, but I needed a near term solution so I can make it through this season. Below is what I have worked so far and while not full proof as I am currently dependent on the power tailgate, it'll work. If anyone has a details or a writeup on a way to manually open our tailgate please share.

Problem: Pulling up tailgate while in the bed.
Solution: Remove the 2 center bolts (T30) on the tailgate and install 1" poly strap

Problem: Unable to lock the RSI Smartcap tailgate door from the inside when locks are in the unlocked position and the door is closed with the tailgate up.
Solution: Roll 16 U.S. Pennies in Duct Tape and place in the roll inside the locking mechanism (pictured below) with it closed and unlocked.

Closing/Locking Procedure:
1: While inside the bed pull the tailgate up via installed strap
2: Pull the cap door down and push the locking latches down to close
3: Secure the roll of pennies as pictured below

Unlocking/Opening
1: Remove roll of pennies
2. Open the power tailgate via the key fob *Note The tailgate will not just soft open due to the weather stripping, you will need to give it a nudge.
3. Reach outside of the RSI cap and push the latch button.

Strap.jpeg

Latch1.jpeg

Latch2.jpeg

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Won't the tailgate always be unlocked as long as you have your keys on you or near you?
Tested my key fob up near the cab with passive entry disabled and couldn't open the tailgate. Guess you could pick up a faraday bag off of amazon to be extra sure. With the decked system I don't have much gap which would give me some reaction time if they dropped the tailgate.

mcarey

Reaction score
What's the rationale behind locking yourself in your truck bed?

I've never locked myself in my tent before.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
What's the rationale behind locking yourself in your truck bed?

I've never locked myself in my tent before.
Tents are a lot more noticeable you are in there. Truck parked in the woods alone at night people mess with them..
I used to sleep in the back of my Jeep and twice I had people stop and check out the Jeep thinking it was abandoned. One guy literally ran away when I turned on a flashlight the other just stumbled around with his words saying he thought I was his buddy.

The bottom line is people are jerks. The lock isn't really going to protect you but give you a few more seconds to react.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Man, the places I camp you can leave your stuff unattended no problem. Only reason somebody would come into your camp would be to offer you some extra food they cooked and didn’t want to throw out or if you look like you needed help.

mcarey

Reaction score
I've heard stories about people getting back from hunting, and their camps being ransacked. Kinda wild to think about robbing a group of people out with guns but like you said, people are jerks...

That said, I still don't really see much of a benefit to locking oneself in their bed. May give you an extra second or two to wake up while someone is fiddling around with your truck, but that "benefit" would be quickly lost with the fear or my FOB and/or battery dying while I'm back there. Though you may be able to open the topper from the inside, I've got no idea. If I were going to sleep in an area that I'm that concerned about, I'll just catch an hour or two in my seat and keep things moving.

Doesn't make the idea/workaround any better or worse, though... cool way to make it work.

jadmt

Reaction score
Man, the places I camp you can leave your stuff unattended no problem. Only reason somebody would come into your camp would be to offer you some extra food they cooked and didn’t want to throw out or if you look like you needed help.
used to be like that in Montana but now there are meth heads everywhere. We have been in the middle of nowhere and had some strange people drive by. I recently read a post by someone who was camping in his GFC while in Moab and in the middle of the night had some one reach in and grab his head..Now that is a good way to get shot but but from a deep sleep it would make you piss your pants..

Users who are viewing this thread