Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked and Running

Sponge60

Reaction score
Haven't purchased a Ram yet, but hoping someone can answer this for me. Can you leave the truck running, lock it and walk away? The reason I ask is that our dog goes a lot of places with us and is usually left in the truck with heat or a/c depending on weather. In my Chevy, with a traditional key and door fob, it isn't an issue. Can this be done on a Ram diesel? Truck I am looking at will be a Laramie, diesel.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Haven't purchased a Ram yet, but hoping someone can answer this for me. Can you leave the truck running, lock it and walk away? The reason I ask is that our dog goes a lot of places with us and is usually left in the truck with heat or a/c depending on weather. In my Chevy, with a traditional key and door fob, it isn't an issue. Can this be done on a Ram diesel? Truck I am looking at will be a Laramie, diesel.
Yes, it is possible.

It is technically illegal here in Colorado, but not heavily enforced.

And if someone were to be brazen enough, they could take it without the fob since it was started when the fob was present.

r440

Reaction score
I shut the truck off get out and remote start , but thats only good for a bit , but you can leave it run get out lock the door with the fob and it stays running

Last edited:

Sponge60

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Does the truck "time out" when running without the fob present? I know the remote start does, but what if I've been driving and get out, lock and walk away?

The dog is a fairly good theft deterrent. ;)

Wobly

Reaction score

Wobly

Reaction score
Mine times out at 15 minutes. I can do two remote starts that will run for 15 minutes each, but after that, you have to manually start the truck.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I've left wife sitting in the truck and walked into a store and the "quickt thing turned into 20minutes. The truck did no shut off. But the "No FOB" or "FOB Left the vehicle" chime goes on I believe until I returned.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I do it all the time in my '20 2500 Hemi for my wife and/or my dog. I usually just hit the button on the door handle to lock it when I get out. It's never shut off and I definitely have been gone more than 15 minutes. But the "FOB has left the vehicle" message does come up on the EVIC but the wife says it only chimes once.

Users who are viewing this thread