Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Load Rating of tires for PW?

Nksm89

Reaction score
So, been doing research and the answer I keep seeing is “it depends”

I want to add 37” A/T tires. Was looking at KO2 but they’re only a C2 rating?(“only” assuming this is low?) is that sufficient for the power wagon? It also has 116S on it which says 2700+lbs rating.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W are D2...

Super confused so if anyone has an answer I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I guess the "it depends" part comes into play when (or if) you take the maximum load rating into consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nksm89

Reaction score
So if the load is 2700 ish lbs on the 116S thats almost 11k lbs... is there a threshold you want to be at? Like the load rating being 1.5x the gross vehicle weight?

I guess the question is where does the other rating come into play? The C2 being a 6 ply with 35psi

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It depends.

For the most part, Lower ply rating tires are lighter and have less stiff sidewalls, so they ride better. I am looking at going to a D rated tire (3860lb) from an E (4080lb) both are overkill for load rating. But, just because they make a size that fits doesn’t mean it’ll work on your rig. Small jeeps and Toyotas can run 37s too

Keep in mind you’ll need to inflate the C rated tire to a higher value to get the same carrying capacity from it. Running an E rated tire with 4080@80psi I can get away with inflation in the 45-50 psi range. With that C rating you will be running closer to max psi when loaded. Based on ratings I think it would be safe. However, I personally wouldn’t run a C rated (6ply) on a 2500. I stick with D (8 ply) or E (10ply) for my rig but mine isn’t a PW

Your power wagon has a lower GVWR than a regular 2500, I believe your GVWR is around 8500lb so that should be the heaviest your truck ever gets. The front is heavier than the rear unless you load down the rear to max. If it came with C rated tires from the factory then I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the same.

jadmt

Reaction score
Power wagon has a rear axle gvwr of 6200lbs so i would want a tire with a rating of 3100lbs these things get over loaded even with a light load it is easy to be over your gvwr of 8565

Nksm89

Reaction score
It depends.

For the most part, Lower ply rating tires are lighter and have less stiff sidewalls, so they ride better. I am looking at going to a D rated tire (3860lb) from an E (4080lb) both are overkill for load rating. But, just because they make a size that fits doesn’t mean it’ll work on your rig. Small jeeps and Toyotas can run 37s too

Keep in mind you’ll need to inflate the C rated tire to a higher value to get the same carrying capacity from it. Running an E rated tire with 4080@80psi I can get away with inflation in the 45-50 psi range. With that C rating you will be running closer to max psi when loaded. Based on ratings I think it would be safe. However, I personally wouldn’t run a C rated (6ply) on a 2500. I stick with D (8 ply) or E (10ply) for my rig but mine isn’t a PW

Your power wagon has a lower GVWR than a regular 2500, I believe your GVWR is around 8500lb so that should be the heaviest your truck ever gets. The front is heavier than the rear unless you load down the rear to max. If it came with C rated tires from the factory then I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the same.
Probably the best reply I’ve ever seen on any forum haha. Thanks so much bro!

Nksm89

Reaction score
Ok awesome there actually is a KO2 37” with a 124R / D2 spec! I’ll go with that

el_barto

Reaction score
Another thing worth noting is the tread compound may be softer on a lower load rating. So while the tire may be able to support the weight based on load capacity, it may also wear faster than a higher load rated tire.

Users who are viewing this thread