Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-X Bumpers.. Why So Expensive??

Greenhills

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tradesman 3500.. i have installed a clear bra on the hood and the fenders. I wanted to do something to protect the coating on the metal bumper (i don't have the chrome package). I reached out to Line-X to get a quote. $450 + $150 to sandblast the bumper. that's $600 plus taxes... it's only $500 to do an entire bed liner.

I wanted to do Line-X.. but the cost is ridiculous. A matte clear bra for the bumper is only about $150.

Does anyone else have recommendations for protecting the front bumper? The roads are pretty bad here in the winter and the bumper needs to be protected.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
see if you have a local liner dealer/applier. I was quoted $175 for each bumper from a local shop here in the austin area.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Are they removing and reinstalling the bumper?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
if your asking me, the guy said he didn't need to remove the bumpers. he didn't remove my bed when I had it done.

whitexc

Reaction score
One would think the bumper (s) would need to come off for the job to be done properly and last.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RV_Goose

Reaction score
if your asking me, the guy said he didn't need to remove the bumpers. he didn't remove my bed when I had it done.
Doing the inside of the bed I would think is completely different than a bumper. Larger space, but open and accessible. Where the bumper is tightand need to be reomved to properly scuff the surface.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I haven't seen many DIY spray jobs that have a nice finish. I'm not familiar with raptor liner, does it apply well?
I've used it twice. One roll-on job for fender flares and spray for a rear swing-out bumper. The large section of the bumper came out fantastic. The swinging frame was more difficult to get even due to all of the bends and angles. It wasn't bad, just not 100% consistent around each tube. But as with most anything being sprayed, the prep work is the key to success.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
maybe for some of the fancier bumpers with the sensors, but a t'man bumper is a great tape job away from finished.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
This is how my 2014 came out with monstaliner. When I traded the truck in 3 years later they looked the same way, no fading or any wear.

Attachments

• 20180623_171731_HDR.jpg
    20180623_171731_HDR.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 77

relbus

Reaction score
I paid $800 front and rear to have my 2013 chrome bumpers LineX'ed. They did not blast, they pulled the bumpers and "wrapped" them in LineX. After 8 years no issues when I sold the truck and they looked great.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I haven't seen many DIY spray jobs that have a nice finish. I'm not familiar with raptor liner, does it apply well?
It is great stuff buy one kit with the gun and its really easy to spray and looks great almost like linex watch some vids on youtube

i did a complete long box dually truck with it cost was 600$ cad

loveracing1988

Reaction score
It is great stuff buy one kit with the gun and its really easy to spray and looks great almost like linex watch some vids on youtube

i did a complete long box dually truck with it cost was 600$ cad
For just the bed or the entire truck? If that's just the bed there is a heck of a mark up going accross the border.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Ended up ordering a raptor liner kit. I also ordered a HVLP spray gun with a 2.5mm tip.. hoping to get it to lay down nicer (finer) than using a schutz gun. Haven't looked at how difficult it is to pull the bumper off, but i don't imagine it will be too bad.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
Couple weeks ago did my daughters truck bed with the raptor kit. Needed 3 bottles for a short bed chevy Silverado, used four. Heavy on the floor and tailgate. Extremely impressed the way it lays down. PREP work is everything. Spraying is easy and raptor has a good pot life ( no need to hurry). Planning on ordering another 6 bottles to do the bumpers and hips on my dually and her bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread